Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 20 Apr 02, 04:46 AM  
Link to this Post

AKA It’s a wonderful thing to share but it is sad to say farewell (not, goodbye)

We awoke at 6am – again – and turned the telly on for our usual fix of Toon Disney and the weather channel on Channel 9 – the weather man said hot and sunny with a max temperature of 85F. Lovely.

Up and dressed in about 30 minutes, I headed towards the food court to get our breakfast while Tracy was deciding what to wear – a woman’s prerogative – and armed with a tray consisting of our mugs filled with coffee, two danish pastries and two delicious choc chip muffins – yum yum – we ate in the room while imagining what it will be like meeting up with Bovril (herein known as Bev) and her DD, Vicky.

As it turns out, we had no cause for concern. More of this when the time is right.

We finished eating and after leaving our usual dollar tip for the cleaner – a practice we decided to adopt from the outset this time – we made our way to the pick up point for the Mears to take us to Seaworld.

We like this park – for a number of reasons: the main reason is the layout It's not too cluttered and it has a lot of things we can do together – like the shows and the wildlife attractions. Plus the shows they have there are sufficiently different to ensure there is nothing similar to any other park we have been to. Also, they do something which I have not witnessed before at any other park over there – they play their national anthem before the park opens. Which I have to admit – while not American – does stir up feelings of patriotism. Odd, I know.

Now, Bev and I had agreed to meet here but me being a man, I could not for the life of me remember where we had agreed to meet – typical, huh? – so Tracy waited at the entrance while I walked back up to the bus stop to see if they were there.

Yup, you guessed; I was in the wrong because when I was walking back I saw Tracy speaking to a couple of women – one of whom was waving in my direction. I waved back and smiled – they looked really nice from first impressions and I am a firm beliver in first impressions – they really do count, where I am concerned and Tracy was grinning from ear to ear – always a good sign – and when I got over there and we began talking – there was an instant of uncertainty you always get when people meet for the first time but we soon began talking like old friends and we walked into the park together.

We wandered around for a little while and decided what we would do – the first port of call was agreed on – the dolphin cove.

This is a popular exhibit and we spent a good while enjoying the interaction with the dolphins and listening to the talk the trainers were giving and after a while watching and feeding them, we headed towards the ride I was determined to ride – after wimping out on it last year: Kraken.

Luckily for me I had someone who was as keen as I to ride this – Bev’s daughgter, Vicky.

Bev had told me her name on the US DIS boards was smiler – by name and nature because I have never known anyone smile as much and she is a breath of fresh air; lovely.

Anyway, we walked over to Kraken so the old fogies (Bev and Tracy and I will get hit for this, I know it) took a seat while Vick and I went to board the ride.

Good news, there was no queue to speak of. Walking in to the ride, we nattered on and watched the people in front of us board the ride and depart amidst screams. Vick explained to me that she had ridden this last year and told me what I was to expect. We soon boarded the car and took off.

The first thing that took me by surprise was the floor moving. I was not expecting the floor to move because technically there is a floor on the ride – even though it is only the covering of the wheels on the track – but it did move and it was not like Dueling Dragons at IoA. Oh, no. It actually folded in on itself and dropped away. Oh, okay.

The cars moved off and came to a little drop and some of the riders screamed. Vick smiled and said that is nothing yet, we have the climb to come. I looked ahead – we were in row 4 – and saw the climb. Well, it went up and up and up and up. And up and up some more. You get the picture, it was quite a climb. And you have heard the old saying, I trust. What goes up must come down.

Well, this does. And it does with a vengeance.

We hit the top and started to turn the corner and a little dip later, we were in the jaws of the drop.

Well, ya bugs, I have seen some drops – and been down some in my time riding coasters – and I had read in a couple of books the drop was quite steep. HAH!!! Quite steep, my eye. The track seemed to drop away and all we saw was a little patch of sky and a whole lot of ground. Which rushed up to meet us at what seemed like breakneck speed – gravity does work and it has a whole lot of power. Up into a loop and around, this way and that way and twisting like a mad thing and we were laughing all the way around. Vick did tell me there was a picture taken. There was but I saw no flash, I was too busy yelling me head off and laughing till my sides ached. I love this ride so much and would definitely recommend any coaster lovers to ride this. It is so awesome, it almost, almost defies description. I have tried to do it justice here but I hope you get the idea.

We came off and after buying the obligatory photos – and treating Vicky to one, the softy I am – we headed back towards Bev and Tracy.to continue our journey around the park. We sauntered around some more, enjoying the sun – scorching hot – and each others’ company.

We really hit it off and before long, both Tracy and I felt we had known Bev and Vicky for years and years. We spent most of the rest of the morning nattering about this, that and the other and after some wandering aimlessly about and before long, we found ourselves outside Key West dolphin show. The common consensus was let’s go and see it and the show was captured on camcorder. It was a lovely show and from there we wandered some more and came across Clyde and Seamore take Pirate Island. We got there before the mime appeared and so missed the humiliation of being singled out by him.

Once the show had finished, we – well, when I say we, I really mean me – were feeling hungry so we decided to go and grab a bite to eat and by common consensus we decided to eat at Mango Joes so off we toddled and while Tracy and Vick nabbed a table, Bev and I went in to order the food, nattering away like a couple of old fishwives. I had the MJ sandwich platter, Tracy and Bev had the steak sandwich platter and Vick had the chicken fajitas.

The food was lovely and eating it on an outside table under a huge parasol, I had another of those perfect moments (see day 3) when it hit home to me that life could not get much better than this – four friends sitting in the glorious sunshine enjoying each other’s company talking away like we had known each other for a lot longer.

From there we wandered around some more, soaking up the sun and decided to make our way to the Hospitality centre and had a beer in the sunshine – nice, indeed – and from there we wound our way over to the Wild Arctic. We had wanted to do this before but the queue was massive and it was not of vital importance to do this, even though the simulator is quite good. So we toddled over and the queue was quite small this time so we all decided to give it a bash. Bev later said she was glad it was as short as it was because she may well have lost her lunch! Charming LOL.

After spending a good wee while in there, we emerged and saw the sun was beginning to set. I looked at my watch and saw the time – 6.45pm.

I was quite stunned – I know the saying is time flies when you are having fun, but this takes the pee. So we decided to watch the nightime Shamu show and this was another first for us.

I filmed it and for those who have seen the show, when the song by Styx plays – Come Sail Away – and Shamu sings along, it brought a tear to my eye (it still does, every time we watch it) and that was the ultimate end to the ultimate day we spent on this holiday up to now.

All the other days have been excellent – don’t get me wrong – but today was extra special because Bev and I have regularly been communicating with each other on the Dis boards via Private Messaging but it was the first time we had met and to hit it off straight away the way we all did really made today that little bit more special for Tracy and I.

Furthermore, which we are looking forward to, we are arranging another get together some time this year to have a weekend away in lovely sunny (ha ha) Blackpool.

Not quite Florida we know but you cannot have everything in life, can you.

Bev and Vicky were such lovely company to spend the day with, it was such a shame the day had to end, but end it must and as we were heading towards the bus stop heading our separate ways, we had an arrangement to meet in Cindy’s for a Character Breakfast on the Tuesday the following week and we made our plans to meet up just outside the MK at 8.30am.

Tracy and I eventually got back to our room after a slight mix-up with buses and, on reflecting on the days’ activities, it was very apparent to us both we have made two very good friends indeed.

Tomorrow – Lazing by the pool day. Hope the sun will still be shining.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 02, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
ANGEL
Imagineer

ANGEL's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
sounds like you had a perfect day there Pete! .

Isn't it lovely when you get to meet people and make such good new friends?! .

Kraken sounds far too scary for a wuss like me... but I do love the dolphins, and the night time Shamu show! .
Old 20 Apr 02, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Anne
VIP Dibber

Another great report, Pete.

Krakken sounds terrifying .

So nice to meet friends made on the boards .

Anne is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 02, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Bovril
Apprentice Imagineer

ahhhhhh, Pete what can I say

shucks I'm speechless, and as you know that takes some doing!! .
Old 20 Apr 02, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Carole
Imagineer

What a great day. Thanks for the graphic description of Kraken. I'm now 100% certain that I won't be going on that ..
2007 - BCV, AKV
2008 - Las Vegas, BCV, AKV, St Petes
2009 - VB, Key West, Miami, BCV, AKV
2010 - OKW, Hard Rock Hotel, BCV
2011 - Alaska on the Disney Wonder
2013 - BCV, AKV, 2014 - AKV, BCV, RPR
2016 - BCV, AKV, 2017 - AKV, Royal Pacific, Coronado Springs
Carole is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 02, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
AlisonB
Imagineer

Another great day Pete!

Nice to hear how well you got on with Bev and Vicky!
AlisonB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 02, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post

Great reports pete.    Its nice to meet people from the boards, we met simon and audrey last week.
I did not do seaworld this time, wish we had. love that kraken ride its brilliant.

Glad your having a good time

Tanya
Old 28 Apr 02, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Ahhhhh another magical day Pete. I so wish that I had done Kraken, but each time I nearly get on it either there is a storm or it is so humid or the line is just too long. Never mind. I will one day. Carolyn .  .
Old 14 May 02, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for sharing your trip reports
great descriptions  .