Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Sep 19, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
nonnie
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
Been away on holiday for 3 week but boy this thread is quiet?

Any parents in Scotland thinking about results on Tuesday?
Our son doesn't seem fazed at all, he may be nervous deep down but he says he isn't. I think I'm more nervous than he is for sure!

Back to school on the 20th then our next Open Days are Glasgow on 4th September and then Edinburgh on 21st September.

Exciting but a bit nerve-wracking times. Ah well, only 2 sleeps until he gets his results!

Good luck anyone else getting their results on Tuesday too!
Only just found this thread, we are also in Scotland and I hope your son did really well with highers, the results seem so long ago now lol.

We are going to the open day at Glasgow Uni on 19th Oct, how did you get on at your first open day?

Ds wants to study Computer Science and has his heart set on Glasgow uni so I'm not sure that we'll even do any other uni visits, in fairness his sister is going into 4th year at Glasgow uni so she has filled him in on what to expect although it's a totally different course she's doing.

Will your ds have to move or are any of the uni's within travel distance? We are lucky enough to be 40 mins on the train to travel and tbh neither want to move out so I don't have to worry about that side of it
nonnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 19, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

We are visiting University of Leeds tomorrow - not hard as we live in North Leeds!

So far ds has visited Nottingham, Loughborough and York -all of which he is going to apply to (and Leeds too). Just Durham in 2 weeks then if he likes it we are done if not I think we'll have missed the Open Days for other places so he'll have to go and visit to get the feel of somewhere.
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 19, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by nonnie View Post
Only just found this thread, we are also in Scotland and I hope your son did really well with highers, the results seem so long ago now lol.

We are going to the open day at Glasgow Uni on 19th Oct, how did you get on at your first open day?

Ds wants to study Computer Science and has his heart set on Glasgow uni so I'm not sure that we'll even do any other uni visits, in fairness his sister is going into 4th year at Glasgow uni so she has filled him in on what to expect although it's a totally different course she's doing.

Will your ds have to move or are any of the uni's within travel distance? We are lucky enough to be 40 mins on the train to travel and tbh neither want to move out so I don't have to worry about that side of it
Hi Nonnie!

We cancelled the 4th September and we are now booked on 19th October, same as you! May see you there, it seems, in amongst the crowds!

Yes, results seem soooo long ago now don't they? And yes our son, T, did absolutely tremendously - he achieved all As at Higher and we were / are still very very proud of him! I hope your son did well too

Our boy wants to study medicine but is currently seriously debating a gap year and applying next year instead and travel and volunteer abroad for a while, not sure if that is the right thing to do... He does seem a bit undecided as he also kind of wants to do Astrophysics - and yet again also likes Computer Science like your son! There will always be jobs in that area that's for sure!

We too are 40 minutes drive from Glasgow! (Am wondering where you live now! ) although it does seem bloomin' hard work to get to the uni by public transport for them
I don't want T to move out, I'd rather he went to Edinburgh or Glasgow which are both reachable from home, but T currently prefers the teaching style for medicine at Dundee because it is patient contact from the first year rather than pre-clinical for the first 3.

Exciting times though eh!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 19, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
nonnie
Excited about Disney

Hi Cloverlady! We are on the coast across from Arran and dd hasn't faired too badly travelling, though she is going to be a tech teacher so sometimes on placement and not relying on the trains all the time, I'm sure ds will find it harder going.

We got the same results for highers! I'm was so relieved and happy for ds and hopefully he should get an unconditional with that. I've been lucky that both mine knew exactly what they wanted to study but I'm sure your ds will make the right decision, it's so hard for them and I know a few kids who started Glasgow for various different courses and dropped out to restart in a totally different course the following year. It's great that they have that option. My cousin went through Dundee for medicine and loved it, has your son managed any work experience within medicine at all, maybe that would help with his decision? xx

Edited at 05:51 PM.
nonnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 19, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Waltdisnae
Getting Excited

Mobile

Hello, saying hello even though my DD will not be going to university, or perhaps art school, till 2021.

We're in Scotland and as I went through the English system it'll be helpful to see how the Scottish folk get on, when to apply, visits, offers, etc.
Waltdisnae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 19, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
nonnie
Excited about Disney

Hi Waltdisnae - love your username! My ds and dd will apply/applied through school, dd thinks it was October that they started the process and she sent in to UCAS in November. Medicine, Dentistry and veterinary have a closing date in mid Oct but everything else is Jan (this is Glasgow uni). Some of her classmates had offers before Christmas, she heard in jan but had an interview end Feb and an offers beginning March. This was a few years ago now but I'd imagine it is similar now.

We went up to the open day last year to let ds see round the computer science building and ask a few questions so there would be no issue with your dd attending some open days to get a feel of campuses etc. Does she have any idea what/where she'd like to study? xx
Old 6 Sep 19, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Waltdisnae
Getting Excited

Mobile

Thanks Nonnie, was that October of S5 or S6? Her school doesn't have a load of people going to Uni so nothings been mentioned yet (still a while away I know).

She's keen on Glasgow. We're in Edinburgh and she's pretty clear she wants a change of scene which I understand.
Waltdisnae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 19, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
nonnie
Excited about Disney

It was S6, ds has just gone into S6 so they start getting their personal statement written out first, the teachers really did everything else. I only saw the ucas application on dd's laptop a few times as it was really all completed at school. I'm not sure if every school does this but I would like to think they would? xx
Old 6 Sep 19, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Waltdisnae
Getting Excited

Mobile

Loads of time then, thanks. I'll relax and follow your journey for 2020.
Old 6 Sep 19, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
nonnie
Excited about Disney

No problem 😃