Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 27 May 18, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
TartanRose
Trying for More Ears

May 17 Ears, Beers and Souvenirs - Day 5 Epcot and Akershus

INDEX HERE

We were having a quiet morning as the plan was to stay at Epcot until the closing fireworks this evening. As my Dad had paid for the holiday I wanted to do something special for everyone to say thank you, so we had an ADR for Akershus Royal Banquet Hall at 1830. Unfortunately my mum had an upset stomach so my dad decided to stay home with her. As we were not able to change the reservation we had to take the decision just to push ahead.

We arrived at Epcot mid afternoon. Thankfully it was a little overcast today which was welcome after a few really hot days. After the obligatory photopass shot in front of Spaceship Earth we boarded the ride and enjoyed the kitsch.

We headed to Mission: Space, our first Fastpass. Ali wasn’t sure but was distracted by the promise of a job (I think she got pilot). We then went on The Seas with Nemo which everybody enjoyed. After a look around the aquarium (I love the manatees) we split up for a couple of hours.

DH and I queued to meet Mickey, Minnie and Pluto. Minnie was flirting with DH and we have a couple of cute photos where she is hanging onto his arm while I am standing back looking a little miffed. The food and flower festival was on so we admired lots of the topiary and visited the butterfly house. There seemed to be loads of Photopass photographers around, some in locations like little gardens where you might not expect to find them. Between us we made good use of the free Memory Maker today! Ali queued and met Baymax today and the pictures are really good.

A little before six we met up again and went on our last Fast Pass of the day, Test Track. Ali loved designing a car and the very short queue went quickly. With five of us in the car the CM shouted for a single. Some family kicked in their little boy who must have been about ten. We soon understood why as he did not shut up the whole journey, chatting incessantly! Poor DH, sat beside him, nodding and smiling at his inane chat! Anyway, we all loved that ride then started making our way round towards Akershus. We explained to the CM that there was only five of us rather than the booked seven and they were absolutely fine with that.

Belle greeted us at the door and Ali had a photograph with her. In the photos Belle looks a bit manic as if smiling all day is wearing her down. She commented on Ali’s Beauty and the Beast T-shirt which made her really happy. We were seated and the servers were over really quickly to take our orders. The buffet style starter was really nice and a good start to the meal. My brother and I ordered Stavanger cocktails which were really nice and the others had soft drinks. Three of the adults ordered meatballs while my brother ordered a beef dish which doesn’t seem to be on the menu any more. His dish was really good whereas the meatballs were so-so. A real disappointment. Of course, you eat here for the princesses, not the food! Ali met four princesses and got hugs and chats with all of them. Then the children all joined in a parade around the castle. Her face was a picture, it was clear that she was really enjoying herself. The desserts were nice enough. Of course, then it was time to pay. It came to $370 inc tax and tip. Ali enjoyed it but the adults all agreed we wouldn’t bother coming again. The food was only average and we were in and out, three courses drinks and princess parade, in an hour which felt a little rushed. The uncharitable part of me thought that it was a good job my parents hadn’t come as that would have added another $150 to the bill!

Outside the Anna and Elsa character meet and greet was showing half an hour. We walked slowly up the line, enjoying the theming. To our surprise there was no queue and we literally walked in. I have to say, these two characters were the best that we encountered all holiday. They were both totally in character and given the lack of queue spent ages chatting to Ali and posing for pictures. Elsa started talking to Ali about joining them on a trade delegation and it made a real impression as she told everyone who would listen that Elsa was going to give her a job!

I checked the app and Soarin’ was showing a five minute wait time so we rushed over to that part of the park and joined the queue. Everybody must have had the same idea as we queued for around fifteen minutes. I hated this the first time that I went on it, however whether they have changed the film or I am mellowing in my old age I really enjoyed it. Coming off we had to do various toilet trips between us, with the result that the fireworks were starting as we left the building. Given how busy it was we decided against trying to get closer and just stood where we were watching from a distance. When they stopped we hot footed it to the car, stopping for a couple of photopass pictures on the way out (the dark ones are actually lovely) and managed to get out of the car park before the scrum.

Edited at 09:09 AM.
TartanRose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 18, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Waltdisnae
Getting Excited

Mobile

I see what you mean about Belle's smile. Terrifying! I'm enjoying your report - thanks.
Waltdisnae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

What a shame your parents had to miss your special meal, I agree that the buffet is the best part of the meal!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 18, 07:27 AM  
Link to this Post
TartanRose
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Waltdisnae View Post
I see what you mean about Belle's smile. Terrifying! I'm enjoying your report - thanks.
Poor lass it must have been a long day!