Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Oct 19, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
clyde/seymore
Serious Dibber

Anyone else been recently and lost the love a little?

Been coming to Orlando since I was 5 - I’m now 40 and this last trip was the first time I thought I might not go again!

My biggest issue was with the I4, what is going on? We stay on US27 so use this road frequently. We always go last couple of weeks of Sept but never have we encountered the traffic we did this trip. Whether we travelled at 8am, 11am, 2pm, 10pm east or west bound. It did not matter, it was gridlocked! It took us an hour to get to universal, outlets etc and the same back. It was just miserable.

Went to IOA, 40 min queue for the hulk at 9am. Used to waiting no more than 10 mins at this time of year. Spider-Man wasn’t working, gringotts at 45 mins. Hogwarts wasn’t open, then opened with a 180 min queue. Bluto’s rapids was closed, then ripsaw falls wasn’t working! Not money well spent that day!

Disney Springs was rammed. The queues were ridiculous. First time I’ve not bought anything there as I wasn’t prepared to queue for that long.

Food shopping was just sooo expensive compared to what we pay at home. I used to love a good food shop but all I do now is compare prices.

And as our son’s girlfriend came this time and was her first time, we did as much as we could so now we’re more knackered than before we went lol.

Had a lovely couple of days at Madeira beach which in contrast was so peaceful and quiet that maybe if we go again I’m thinking of just the keys and then drive up the gulf coast and avoid Orlando all together and the weather for the last 2 weeks was perfect, not a drop of rain.

However that doesn’t take away the fact that the restaurants now want 22% tip and don’t seem remotely grateful when they receive it 😡😭.
Or that doesn’t matter where you sit on the plane you get some ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ behind you that thinks you have to poke the seat back screen with as much force as possible the entire journey, there and back! (Presumably playing games) worst flight ever. Or talk at such a loud volume and laugh loudly (had too much to drink) on the night flight back. I have no young children and always dread sitting near them but they were all angels this flight, it was the inconsiderate adults!

Bit of a rant but it’s the first time my favourite place in the world has made me feel like this and I’m a bit disappointed. Am I the only one?

Edited at 12:01 PM.
clyde/seymore is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I have to say the I 4 made me glad I was staying at Disney!

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
Imagineer

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I get a bit like that after a trip to orlando but within a months it wears off
I start looking at other destinations and we always end up wanting to go back
2016 Boardwalk Villas
2015 Pop Century
2014 Old Key West
mike4scuba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

We've avoided Orlando for the first time and gone to Cape Coral. The lack of rush and low traffic has made this a real holiday. The people seem friendlier, possibly because they are less stressed and the scenary more than makes up for not doing the parks. We're not sure we'll consider going back to the madness Orlando has become.

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. A nice honest report, well done.

We have been to Disney a lot and haven't fallen out of love with it as such but are fed up to the back teeth of the Disney price gouging. To be honest its not even subtle any more it's right in your face.

Some points you make
The I4 - insanity on wheels in my view. I always said it wasn't as bad as the M25, well yes it is and in fact it's worse.

Shopping. Supermarkets are now dear. The days of food being reasonably priced are long gone and it's not due to the exchange rate. It's expensive!

Shops. Probably not the British spending so much but my goodness some people are. That queue for the Disney Outlet place. Lining up outside to buy outdated tat, dear God.

Gratuities. I won't tip 20% let alone 22%. Offsite they get 15% off me. Maybe a touch more if they are brilliant.

Disney Springs. Ahh, the overpriced shopping mall. We walk through there regularly but only go into the Lego shop to browse and the Disney Shop for a few presents for the Grandchildren. The rest we don't bother with. Expensive!

However, it sounds like you had a great time and I do like your idea of the Keys & Coast. Nice.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
sandshal
Imagineer

With you 100%, we outgrew Disney many years ago and travel to The Keys whenever we can. We still find we need our Orlando fix but a week in a villa in the Famosa Gardens area scratches the itch. Try flying into Key West and out of Orlando or Tampa next time and stop for a couple of days in Islamorada (our favourite key)

Edited at 11:01 AM. Reason: sp and additional text
sandshal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
grommitt
Excited about Disney

This is a timely thread.
I fly out tomorrow and i'm sat here thinking that i'm not as excited as i should be.
The whole process of going to orlando is just turning into to much effort with Planning your days ,fast pass booking etc.
The costs has gone through the roof in the last few years and compared to my 4 other trips abroad this year it is just not value for money anymore.
I doubt very much if i will be looking at Orlando in the future but if things change then hey ho.
grommitt is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

We fell out of love a bit over the years, the gloss has come off... We have gradually built up our armoury of "how to cope" which looking at your list and what we have worked around looking back horrifies me really - you shouldn't have to think of "how to cope" on a holiday... hence the gloss dimming

Plane - 2x2 seats in the middle section. One on aisle, one next to that one. Me in front, don't mind recliners, can't stand tappers, DH behind, doesn't mind tappers, can't stand recliners. Pay for seat request.

I4 - avoid, use any toll road to pay the way out of having to sit in traffic. Avis - they charge £20ish + tolls for the 2 weeks trip.

Universal - only do 2 or 3 days and only with express access provided with a premium room stay. Pay for room.

Food - we pay the premium...

Disney Springs - visit on a weekday morning near "opening" - not so busy - usually join it with a trip to the resorts for lunch (more money spent)

So all is fine if you have the cash to splash...
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
DebsMK
Very Serious Dibber

We haven't stayed in Orlando for many years, but we visit Florida Gulf Coast every year. If we do decide to go to Universal we either bite the very expensive bullet and go for a day or use airmiles towards a stay in one of the hotels. We then go back to the Gulf Coast asap. I actually dislike Orlando immensely, when we first went in 1988 it was great but now it has no appeal for me apart from the odd visit to a theme park.

Back soon!
DebsMK is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Conno
Very Serious Dibber

I am heading out later this month - and I agree with the sentiment in this thread. This is very likely to be my last Disney trip. The prices are insane, and you get less for more money. Sorry Iger and Chapek, several steps over the line.
Conno is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List