Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 17 Aug 18, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Canadian Rockies Road Trip July 2018 - Day 9 - Off to Kamloops. Mount Robson, falls and gaining time

Today would be one of our biggest drives of our trip as we where leaving Jasper and headed down to Kamloops to break up the drive to Whistler. It was approximately 445kms to our stop and would take about 5 hours without any stops on the way. We headed for our last breakfast before checking out and stopping for one last time at the Bear Paw Bakery stocking up on lunch before setting off on the road.

After our canoeing yesterday Sam and me where talking about having another go so we all headed over to Patricia and Pyramid lake to look at hiring a kayak before we set off. It wasn't a long drive but due to some construction work that was going on we couldn't get parked at all as the visitor spaces where all taken and we couldn't see anywhere to park on the roadside. We spoke about it and Sam wasn't too worried so we set off on the road to Kamloops instead. We drove out of Jasper and pulled in after a while at our first stop. This was just at the entrance to Mount Robson Park.

This was pretty much on the Alberta/British Columbia border and we spent some time reading the various displays letting you know about the history of the area and how the pass was named after someone with blond hair. As we where now crossing into BC I was aware that we would be needed to put our clocks back an hour and spoke to a Parks Canada official who confirmed so and that there was a sign just past the Mount Robson sign reminding you to do this. It felt weird as we have always seemed to cross time-zones before on a plane and when crossing the channel so within a few metres we gained and hour on our day.

We had now entered BC and would be spending the rest of our road trip here and we set off on route to Kamloops. Further down the road we saw a pull in for some falls called Overland Falls so parked up in the car park and took the 15 minute trail down to the falls.

We pretty much had the place to ourselves and again there was information boards telling you about the falls and how the name came to be about. There was a faint mist off the water which was welcome as it was another warm day. There where barriers in place so you couldn't climb down to the water which wasn't a bad thing as although they where not very high there was some force from the water and it was moving very fast.

We then headed back up to the car and was glad this was through the forest as it was shaded and an uphill climb most of the way. It seemed a lot less of a distance on the way back and soon enough we where at the car and back on the road. It wasn't too long though before we stopped again at the Mount Robson Visitor Centre. We pulled into the car park and got out the car to one very large and impressive mountain set in a open valley with more mountains all around.

I hadn't really researched Mount Robson as a place to stop on the way to Kamloops and as Canada had a good habit of doing, we where totally surprised by something totally unexpected. At 3954m this is the highest peak in the Canadian Rockies and an impressive sight. We headed into the visitor centre where there was lots of information on things to do in the area as well as hikes and trails to explore. We hadn't left ourselves much time to do any long hikes so instead had a chills and admired the view. You could walk up to a place called Berg Lake but that was a fair trek and would have taken a good few hours and to scale Mount Robson you had to be an experienced climber/mountaineer so we where just happy admiring her from afar which suited us fine.

Refreshed and recharged we where back in the car and on the road again. After a short while we found ourselves stopping again at a place called Rearguard Falls.

As the sign said this does form part of the salmon run but it was too early in the season for us to see them making their journey. It was a shortish walk down to the falls and there where various platforms and steps next to them all carefully protected with barriers so you could explore and admire the views in safety.

The water again had that lovely green colour to it and like Overland falls before flowed with lots of force and very quickly. We spent some time exploring and admiring the falls before we watched some groups of people lowering rafts into the water after the falls and heading off on a white water rafting trip.

This looked great and as we had pre-booked a trip to raft in Whistler seeing this made us ready for our trip out on the water. Another great stop and we then headed back to car ready to get back on the road to Kamloops.

We now settled in for the drive, popped the radio on and hit the road. The scenery was still good and we found plenty to admire on our way. Sam had downloaded some stuff onto his Ipad so as most teenagers do was plugged in watching Netflix although did break off now and again to appease his parents who kept saying to him to look at this, that and the other.. We did make a stop for petrol in a place called Clearwater where we also headed into the nearest Dairy Queen and found an amazing thing called a Blizzard. Bit like an ultimate McFlurry but with loads more filling and topping whisked into the soft serve.

This was our last stop before we set off on the final stretch to Kamloops. We still enjoyed the scenery and passed by lots of the really long trains which seemed to go on for ages before you found either end of them. It was nearer late afternoon when we arrived in Kamloops and we headed straight to our base for one night, Fairfield Inns and Suites. The room was spacious and comfy and we dropped our bags and chilled until it was time to head out.

There was a Cineplex across the road so we drove for something to eat before catching a film. We found a place called Swiss Chalet which specialized in chicken so headed in. Sam and me ordered different meals and split and I must admit I was well impressed with the chicken, not too mention the gravy and dipping sauce they served. I was really happy to find these as mixes to bring home later in the holiday. After eating our fill we headed to the cinema and went in to see 'Ant-Man and the Wasp'. Sam is a bit of a Marvel/DC addict so was really wanting to see this, especially as this wasn't yet out at home. Great film and afterwards we headed back to the hotel. No issues dropping off tonight, the long drive had tired me out and I was soon asleep.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Mobile

Great day, we visited Jasper yesterday and saw the Bear Paw Bakery but didn’t go in . Looking forward to the next bit for future trips!
Old 18 Aug 18, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
I've just spent a little while binge reading your trip so far and am enjoying reading about your road trip and seeing your fantastic photos. I'm just back from a trip visiting friends in Ottawa and they had been telling us about Whistlers as they visit each year so looking forward to your next instalment. Thanks for sharing.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post
Great day, we visited Jasper yesterday and saw the Bear Paw Bakery but didn’t go in . Looking forward to the next bit for future trips!
Hope you enjoyed Jasper - the Bear Paw is a great place, its was always busy when we went but the queue moved quick and the food good.

Originally Posted by Mel49 View Post
I've just spent a little while binge reading your trip so far and am enjoying reading about your road trip and seeing your fantastic photos. I'm just back from a trip visiting friends in Ottawa and they had been telling us about Whistlers as they visit each year so looking forward to your next instalment. Thanks for sharing.
Glad you are enjoying the report. It was a great trip and we loved Whistler, its a while since we've been to Ottawa but had a great time when we road tripped the East too. Such an amazing country.

Neil

Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Just gorgeous photos again Neil. The water colour is stunning - you certainly found some great places to stop on your journey.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
Just gorgeous photos again Neil. The water colour is stunning - you certainly found some great places to stop on your journey.
Found most of these on the way, didn’t research this leg of the trip too much but we found some great places to stop and could of spent longer exploring too.

Neil

Old 16 Oct 19, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Mobile

Fantastic pics again Neil
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List