Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Return of the Rescuer – Day 18 – 20.7.19 – Eating all over the world

Return of the Rescuer – Day 18 – 20.7.19 – Eating all over the world

Index is here

We had finally sussed the buses I think, we thought 8.10 was round about the time a bus to the Studios would turn up and for once we were right. We were through bag check and in the park for 8.30am – result!

We had the funniest photopass guy who we had a real laugh with, (some photos are funny but a bit cringe worthy so I'll just add the standard pose) I think he might have been bored as everyone was just walking past but as before we weren’t interested in Slinky so were not in any real hurry to join the chaos of the line for rope drop.

We ended up on the other side of the line today, where the shops were and like before people were running up the inside.

We just didn’t bother, ds was more interested in his phone this morning than the line for rope drop. pre teens

They dropped the rope at 8.58am. I’m a little curious as to how it was this time where on the EMM day people were inside and riding by 8.55am.

Anyway, we had ridden Toy Story Mania and were off again by 9.10am.

One of our biggest priorities for today was to use up lots of snack credits, hard job but someone’s got to do it.

We headed over to Woodys Lunch Box for a breakfast snack. We started with a couple of pop tarts, some galactic punch and smart water.

4 snack credits used

Slinky Dog was next, we had a fastpass and only waited 5 minutes.

On our continued quest to use up snack credits we picked up a non-alcoholic pina colada slush just after we left Toy Story Land.

5 snack credits used

It was boiling again today with a real feel of 103, we found shade over by the Chinese Theatre while ds finished off his smoothy.

Star Tours was only a 10 minute wait so we decided on that before heading round to Muppets 4D. I love the Muppets, especially on a really hot day.

Next up we had a fastpass for Tower of Terror. Ds had promised to give it another try as he new exactly what to expect this time, I was expecting him to pull out but he was pretty enthusiastic. He took a fair few photos of the theming in the line.

He enjoyed the ride more this time, I doubt he will ever call it one of his favourite rides but he no longer hates the thought of it!

Our last fastpass was for Rock n Roller. I’m never going to be a great fan of this, I’d rather have a far bigger coaster that’s smooth than this one. I like the acceleration at the start but it’s a bit rattily. There was a photopass person outside the ride as well, not sure I’ve ever seen one there before.

Just before we left HS we headed to Starbucks and finally found a drink that Dh enjoyed a Strawberry Açai. Plus a mango dragonfruit refresher and 3 cake pops, 2 strawberry and one birthday cake all for a quick service credit. These cake pops were a good size and a nice wee snack.

1 Quick Service Credit used

Since it was so hot we decided against walking between Hs and Epcot and chose to get the boat over to the Yacht Club and walk up from there. We got into Epcot just after 1pm, again our aim was to use up some snack and quick service credits eating around the world. For all the trips we’ve had this was something we had never done.

First up was Morocco. For years I’ve eyes up the Tangerine Cafe but have never been.

Today was the day. We ordered a chicken and lamb shawarma combo and a Diet Coke.

I loved this, exactly my sort of flavours. Dh was less keen but he’s a bit fussy about what he likes and ds really liked it. This was my Epcot top choice today.

2 Quick Service Credits Used.

By this point the heat was really bad. We got a photopass picture taken (even the photographer was hiding in the shade).

Then we found a really nice little museum exhibit which was beautiful and beautifully air-conditioned.

Then we carried on round to Japan, Katsura Grill is another place we haven’t really been.

After really nice teriyaki at Tokyo we decided to go for the shrimp and chicken combo and a Kirin.

This was good too and the favourite of Ds and Dh.

3 Quick Service Credits Used

For America we went for a funnel cake, can’t go wrong can you and an American dream slushy. Again we’d never had the American dream and ds loved it, 2 slushy flavours and ice cream.

7 snack credits used

We watched the Guardians of the Galaxy music show while having this, I really enjoyed the show. Shockingly, I liked it better than the last time we were in that venue for the candlelight processional.

Itay was rubbish for credits, via Napoli pizza window was closed so I just got Ds a blood orange San Pelligrino which is his favourite drink of all time.

8 Snack Credits used

We stopped and watched the little trains for a bit, It looked like the town was under attack by a giant lizard.

A storm was brewing by the time we got to Germany so against my better judgement we went to Sommerfest and had the Bratwurst and a grapefruit beer. The beer was great the food was not!

4 Quick Service Credits Used.

We got stuck there for a bit due to a storm and our 4th fastpass that we had got for Test Track was cancelled.

Once the weather improved a little we skipped China as we were running out of time so we went to Kringle, somewhere else we’ve never been. We got school bread, I’d been looking forward to trying this but I really didn’t like it, there was a distinct taste of cardamom. We also had a troll horn which was lovely and light.

10 Snack Credits Used.

And that was us for food. 4 quick service credits used and 10 snacks. Not bad for a days work!

We stopped off for a quick wander round the art shop and left Epcot just after 4pm.

A quick turnaround at POFQ and we were back out heading to HS for dinner at the Hollywood Brown Derby.

We’ve been here the last few trips and enjoyed it.

I had a Pinot Grigio, Dh had a Samuel Adams summer ale and ds had a pink palace which was sprite and watermelon with a glow cube.

The server refilled the pink palace for ds which I thought was really nice considering some places are funny about anything glowing on the dining plan.

The bread was nice and warm with salted butter.

Ds had the seafood ciopinno. He loved this.
Seared Scallop, Lobster, Seasonal Fish, Fregola Pasta, Blistered Tomatoes, Fennel, Olive Bread Crouton, Cioppino Broth

Dh had the duck, we thought this was ok.
Grilled Peaches, Marinated Fennel, Pea Tendrils, Peppadew Peppers, Citrus-Honey Vinaigrette, Pomegranate-Barbecue Sauce, Toasted Black Sesame Seeds.

I had the chicken, this was quite nice.
Red Pepper and Toma Cheese Polenta, Summer Squash, Orange Blossom Honey-glazed Baby Rainbow Carrots, Madeira Malmsey Reduction

For dessert ds had the grapefruit cake which he enjoyed.
Vanilla Sponge Cake with Grapefruit Syrup, Grapefruit Cheesecake, and Grapefruit Jam. A Brown Derby Original!

Dh had the chocolate cake, he liked this.
Dark Chocolate Sponge Cake, Dark Chocolate Mousse, Chocolate Sauce, Amarena Black Cherries

I had the mango passion fruit mousse cake. This was really nice, it reminded me of the dessert at flying fish but this one wasn’t quite as good.
Mango Mousse, Passion Fruit Ganache, Mango Buttercream, Mango Chocolate.

Overall the meal and service were nice but not a patch on our other signature experiences but I wasn’t expecting it to be. We’d still go back.

We had a fastpass for Star Tours, it wasn’t really necessary as it wasn’t busy. I think even at this point Slinky was only showing a 35-minute wait at this point.

Previously, we had really enjoyed the Star Wars fireworks so that was our priority this evening. We headed over to the Chinese Theatre, I was surprised at how relatively quiet this area was. At Christmas we had seen the movie show on the theatre, this had now changed to the Wonderful World of Animation so we thought we’d give this a go as well. It was cute and worth a watch.

The area got a little busier after this was done but was nothing like we’d seen before. We’d done the Star Wars Dessert party twice when the viewing are used to be where we were sitting and the Jingle Bell Jingle Bam Dessert Party with the viewing area on the raised area and all three times the whole area felt way busier than tonight. We had plenty of room to sit and wait in between shows.

We enjoyed it but it wasn’t as good as I remembered for some reason.

Because we were further back it didn’t take us long to leave the park, the bus was full and we were back in POFQ 45 minutes after the Star Wars fireworks started.

Ds and Dh went for a swim while I stayed in and attempted to do some packing.

Day 19

Edited at 06:57 PM.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 19, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Another fab day.

The pic in Epcot even looks really hot!

You've certainly pushed your way through those credits haha well done xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 19, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
Another fab day.

The pic in Epcot even looks really hot!

You've certainly pushed your way through those credits haha well done xx
It was melting!

You know what it’s like near the end of your holidays, the snack credits hijack all your plans 😂
Old 28 Sep 19, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
It's lovely when you know you have a FP for slinky and don't have to be racing with everyone else at rope drop. Your morning at HS sounds fun, lots of great photos today too. We had the photopass at the entrance to RnR last year, but I didn't spot it this year, they are a bit hit and miss I think.

The snacking around world showcase also went really well with you trying out a few different places. The guardian's show is better than I thought it would be too! Great fun, we didn't see all of it this year but I did enjoy what I saw.

A shame the star wars fireworks didn't live up to your expectations, but nice to be back home and the boys got a night swim too.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 19, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
It was melting!

You know what it’s like near the end of your holidays, the snack credits hijack all your plans 😂
Nothing like a mad dash around WS and DS to get as many snacks as you can haha. We even got popcorn from Karamel Kuche ... sadly it didn't fare too well on the journey home and was really dry so don't think we'll try that again.

I don't think we've seen Star Wars fireworks ... probably coz it overlaps Fantasmic and I'd much rather see that might try and squeeze it in next time xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 19, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Mobile

Really impressed with everything you did today. I've belatedly adjusted our plans to do Epcot and HS in the same day, I was worried about burning out but you made it look easy.

I agree about HBD not being as good as other Signatures, the parks one I've eaten in so far don't seem to live up to the resort ones.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 19, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
It's lovely when you know you have a FP for slinky and don't have to be racing with everyone else at rope drop. Your morning at HS sounds fun, lots of great photos today too. We had the photopass at the entrance to RnR last year, but I didn't spot it this year, they are a bit hit and miss I think.

The snacking around world showcase also went really well with you trying out a few different places. The guardian's show is better than I thought it would be too! Great fun, we didn't see all of it this year but I did enjoy what I saw.

A shame the star wars fireworks didn't live up to your expectations, but nice to be back home and the boys got a night swim too.
I'd do the rush if I really had too but its much more relaxing when you know you have a FP lined up.

We really enjoyed the snacking round the world, can't believe this is the first time we have managed to do that but I'd really like to do it again. Food and wine looks great and the Christmas food boths looked fab as well but they were away before we had a lot of Epcot time.

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
Nothing like a mad dash around WS and DS to get as many snacks as you can haha. We even got popcorn from Karamel Kuche ... sadly it didn't fare too well on the journey home and was really dry so don't think we'll try that again.

I don't think we've seen Star Wars fireworks ... probably coz it overlaps Fantasmic and I'd much rather see that might try and squeeze it in next time xx
I've never tried the popcorn, I have to say I can't see past Ghiardellis though for snacks to bring home.

The first time we saw Star Wars fireworks I thought they were amazing so I'd say give them a try if you can fit it in.

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Really impressed with everything you did today. I've belatedly adjusted our plans to do Epcot and HS in the same day, I was worried about burning out but you made it look easy.

I agree about HBD not being as good as other Signatures, the parks one I've eaten in so far don't seem to live up to the resort ones.
I think HS and Epcot together is one of the things we did that I thought worked out great. Walking or the boat worked but you could try the Skyliner. I like the food choices way more in Epcot and we were always able to pick up a soarin or test track fastpass.

Exactly, I still like HBD but its not in the same class as Flying Fish or Yachtsman.
Old 30 Sep 19, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another good day

Joan
Old 11 Oct 19, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Another good day

Joan
Thanks. We really enjoyed the eating round Epcot.
Old 13 Oct 19, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Nice start to your day getting loads done around HS. Eating around the world at Epcot is high on my "to do" list, so I was really interested to read about that part. Looks like you got some good drinks and snacks. Why is the world showcase always hotter than the surface of the sun though?

Shame you didn't enjoy the fireworks as much this time, but sounds like a good evening nevertheless.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List