BONZO
Imagineer

Slings, spins and other things - Singapore 2019 - Day 5

Wednesday 11th September 2019

Cast:

Shaun - me, 50's, loves travelling
Alison - wife, 50's, loves travelling

Index: HERE

Alison was awake bright and early this morning, I knew this as I woke and sat up bolt upright looking somewhat startled. I was still unsure what the time was this morning as the room was still pitch black thanks to the blackout curtains. (Alison later told me that she hadn’t fallen asleep until really late – about 6am!)

We had breakfast in the restaurant today – which was a very extensive buffet with some hot stations. I had a nice ham and cheese omelette to start the day and Alison had a waffle along with her usual cereal and breads while we planned out our day at Sentosa island.

Some of the attractions weren’t really us so we decided just to travel to the island, take a look around and have a bit of a relaxing day.

We got everything ready for the day and walked out of the front of the hotel via the red carpet

to the MTR station and took the East west line from Raffles Place to Outram Park and then the North east line to Harbour Front Station. We thought we’d take the Cable car over as these have been a feature of our recent trips. The only thing that threw us initially was the sheer number of combo options you could have with the cable car.

We decided to take the two route combo option - so we picked up the dual cable car passes with two options - Mount Faber Line (north to south) and the Sentosa Line (east to west). Madame Tussaud’s and Universal Studios didn’t appeal as well as being very expensive for a day ticket.

We took the cable car over to Silosa point and got our first views of the island from overhead.

On arrival Alison bought a sandwich from Subway to have later but I carried on to see what else might be on offer. Bizarrely there was a Star Wars sand castle exhibition near the beach front, we took a look and all very impressive but didn’t seem to tie in with anything else around.

Anyway, the good news was that there was some sort of pop-up food place here and to my delight I ordered up Chicken and Roti for lunch. Absolutely delicious but once again I managed to spill the curry down my top – ho hum!

We wandered along the beach for a short while before stopping at Coastes restaurant and hired a double sunbed for SGD $22 (about £12) for the day.

It was quite handy as we could then get drinks and food very easily. We promptly settled down to day of swimming, relaxing and having drinks and chips...lovely. Brits abroad eh?

I got restless after a while as I do, and wandered down to Palawan Beach to take a look. Much busier here than the beach we were on and very popular with the local kids. A fair chunk of construction work was going on, not sure if regular maintenance or getting ready for the F1 events showing later.

I wandered around for a bit and walked over the suspension to the most Southerly Part of Asia and also the closest part of Asia to the equator. I eventually managed to get a picture despite waiting an age from the multitude of selfie takers.

I strolled back along the beach and looked at the outside of some of the other attractions here like the street luge, a bird attraction and even a McDonald’s! Anything “extra” you wanted to do would incur additional cost unless you bought one of the multi-passes. Most of the other attractions were geared up to families or youngsters (my god that makes me sound old!).

I met back with Alison and we had another swim before deciding to call it a day and luckily for us the restaurant had toilet and shower facilities for free which was a nice touch so with all the salty sea water washed off we went for a walk, so Alison could also do the most southerly point in Asia.

We hung over the fence at the Street luge which looked good although a bit pricey. We made enquiries at the desk and decided just to get the chair lift out and back to use up our free credits that came with the cable car passes.

It was a bit odd with only the pair of us travelling up and down without the ride but I think we got away with it. The views were great!

We waited an age to get the tram back to the cable car station, I thought it’d be much more frequent than this but I guess there were a lot of people leaving the island at this time. Whilst putting my rucksack on and off I somehow managed to dislodge my watch and thought I’d broken the strap. After much fiddling around I couldn’t fix it although I thought there must be a general jewellers or watch shop that could do a quick fix as nothing was actually broken on closer examination.

Eventually the tram arrived to drop us back to the cable car station and we jumped on a cable car the one stop to get the main cable car back to the mainland but we couldn’t find Sentosa Station to take us back! Well, we walked around for a while but nothing looked familiar, maybe because it was quite dark by now. The one good thing was that we actually stumbled across the large Merlion which had a light show projected on it, all very impressive.

We knew we couldn’t be that far away and eventually found Sentosa Station – entry through the gift shop and poorly signposted (that’s my excuse anyway!). After leaving Mount Faber station we took the MTR back home by which time we were flagging a bit after a long day – and we were ready for dinner!

Once out of the station we walked along Boat Quay as there were so many eating options along here but we settled on Murch Masala for an Indian. We chose from the extensive menu and settled down for a lovely meal overlooking the harbour area, all washed down with some expensive beer! Overall, very nice and really hit the spot although it was quite expensive although that was to be expected in this location – and the view over the bay was lovely. Total cost was the equivalent of about £75

We took a slow stroll back to the room after taking a couple of photos of the interior of the hotel

where I crashed out whilst Alison did some face-time with our youngest daughter who was now on holiday in Florida.

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL

Edited at 11:19 PM.
BONZO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 19, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

What a lovely relaxing day! I didn’t realize that the most southerly part of Asia was in Singapore!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
HiddenMickey35
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Lovely photos. Love sunset

I like Singapore and would love to go back there again.

Omg expensive meals but looked nice.
DCL 6-9April 06,DCL on 18 July 07, Medi.,DCL on 15 Nights Panama Canal - Westbound< May 08, NEW YORK NOV 24-30TH WITH 5 LADIES :, DCL on 3 July '10 for 8 days Dover to Barcelona RCCI - FOS 10 April '11, Spendlour of the Seas, 19 July 2013,Disney Magic 14 Nights WB Tranny Sep 6, 2014, Jamaica June 12-23, 2018, RC Cruise, Halloween 2019, Mexico with groups, Sept 2022, DCL Nowhere on 27th July 2021 for 3 nights?, Anthem of the Seas, Norweigian Fjords Cruise, May 2022
HiddenMickey35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List