Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Oct 19, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Tubbsy View Post
You are still lapping everyone sat on the couch!
Theres always going to be someone quicker...
Unless you're Eliud Kipchoge! 😜
Your husband is right. Don't be hard on yourself.
As you run more you will get quicker anyway but you will also change your routine of running - adding weight training, hamstring stretches (hamstrings don't like to be stretched so may be slowing you a little) , interval training.
But let your body get used to running 5k first.
Dont give up now!
Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
Don't be so hard on yourself. My husband does 8 minute miles. I do 11-12 minute miles. I've done 5ks, 10ks and half marathons, and I don't get much faster but I really don't mind. I am trying to improve my pace for a marathon next year, but only because the course time limit is outside my current pace.

If you want to get faster, you need to do interval training, fartlek, hill sprints etc. as well as normal running, but you don't need to get faster, you're doing just fine as you are.
Originally Posted by Buggles94 View Post
Please please don't be hard on yourself. I started running 13 years ago as a stress relief. I still describe myself as a tortoise and know many people who started running after me and are much faster. Remember that there will always be someone faster but you are out there running and that is something to be proud of... I do try to run faster sometimes but only to beat my own PBs and my aim is to enjoy it and remain injury free... The best motivation I had at the beginning was signing up to some races - I quickly realised that people run at very different paces but that everyone does the same distance and gets the same medal
Originally Posted by Clairelovestate View Post
Please don’t compare yourself to anyone else! It really doesn’t matter how fast your going, as long as you are going at a speed that comfortable for you then you are doing great! You are doing fabulous just getting up and going for a run!
Thank you all for your kind words and support. I feel much better about it all today, although my hips are complaining! I think I was just having a "moment" yesterday because it was such a tough run and I really struggled to finish it.

Of course, you're all right. I am doing better than those doing nothing, and I should only be in competition with myself. Getting fitter was the goal for me, and I've already achieved that. I have no intention of running competitively, EVER .

Well done to you all... you all have your own inspirational stories and are doing so brilliantly.

Onwards to week 9 ... 🏃

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne
VIP Dibber

Well done for doing week 8

I did my Week 5 20 minute run on Saturday. Ran outside as well for the first time.

Due to do run 2 of week 6 tomorrow after work.
Anne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Anne View Post
Well done for doing week 8

I did my Week 5 20 minute run on Saturday. Ran outside as well for the first time.

Due to do run 2 of week 6 tomorrow after work.
It’s always good to get that first 20 minute run out of the way. Well done on running outside, I’m not brave enough for that!

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Snowball18
Very Serious Dibber

Back in October 2012 I went from couch to running a marathon in April 2013. Then I was diagnosed with a heart condition, no more marathons for me!

These days I'm running about 4 miles a day 4 times a week, still enjoy it and listen to music while I'm running, secret is good noise cancelling headphones.
Snowball18 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

I am due to have an operation next week and will not be able to go to the gym for 4 weeks so have been upping my running and everything else at the gym to get me as fit as possible for next week (assuming they have a bed for me on the day! ) I do not want to run marathons etc I just enjoy the running at the gym plus weights etc.
Well today I actually got my heart up to 141 bpm (according to NHS site for me 149 is my upper limit) by doing some boxing moves whilst running and I broke my 10min per km (yes I know that's crap by some standards but at my age its bloody good).
The amazing thing is I came home walked the dog for a few miles and I don't even feel tired this afternoon and for me that's what the Couch to 5K has done for me & I am so grateful that I did it in the first place.
So everyone who is doing it for whatever reason, keep going it is so worth it - well done all of us.
Old 19 Oct 19, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

Mobile

I did my first park run today. I am obviously not designed to run with others. I was trying not to cry. I found it so demoralizing. I have been running for 17 weeks and do approx 9 miles a week. I only have one speed, which is slow. I'm happy running on my own.

I only did the Park Run as DH wanted to do it, (he's an ironman) and I've my first race next week for Poppy Appeal. I'm now dreading it. I've raised nearly £150 so will obviously do it but will make sure I start at the back so not too many people over take me. 😪
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 19, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Tubbsy
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Button17 View Post
I did my first park run today. I am obviously not designed to run with others. I was trying not to cry. I found it so demoralizing. I have been running for 17 weeks and do approx 9 miles a week. I only have one speed, which is slow. I'm happy running on my own.

I only did the Park Run as DH wanted to do it, (he's an ironman) and I've my first race next week for Poppy Appeal. I'm now dreading it. I've raised nearly £150 so will obviously do it but will make sure I start at the back so not too many people over take me. 😪
Dont be put off doing big events.

First of all, your park run should have had Pacers so you could just plod along at your speed, but it doesn't always happen.

Tbh I am not a fan of Park Run.
There are too many people there out to get their PBs
I'm a back tailer and at my local park run I get lapped. When I say lapped, I mean pushed into the side.
I've let the folk in charge know but it makes no difference.

The atmosphere of a fund raising event is so different.
You usually have someone at the front doing a warm up to music before you head out (not all the time though) You're all there to raise funds.
There are so many different levels and you're all raising money for the same thing.

Go. Relax. Enjoy.
If after this event it's not for you thats ok.

You can run alone and do Virtual events that raise money.
I do a lot of virtual runner events- pay £5 to £20. You send the organisers a screenshot of your distance and a few days later you get a medal.
And you can do these for charity.
Google Virtual Runs
(Theres even a virtual run Disney!)

Edited at 11:52 AM.
Tubbsy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 19, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Jedi Princess
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Button17 View Post
I've raised nearly £150 so will obviously do it but will make sure I start at the back so not too many people over take me. 😪
Well done Button17.

When I did my 5K & 10K runs in May, I started at the very back. I felt so much more comfortable and just took it slow and steady. I’m never going to have a fast pace, I just concentrate on finishing.

Don’t be too disheartened, you’re doing really well.
Old 19 Oct 19, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
deeley
Imagineer

Mobile

Yet again I’ve not been successful in London marathon ballot...I wondered if anyone had any experience of how hard it is to raise money for A charity place...seems quite daunting amounts...a shame really but I guess they need the funds.
Covid cancelled Aug 2020!
Back to NYC Dec 22
deeley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 19, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tubbsy View Post
Dont be put off doing big events.

First of all, your park run should have had Pacers so you could just plod along at your speed, but it doesn't always happen.

Tbh I am not a fan of Park Run.
There are too many people there out to get their PBs
I'm a back tailer and at my local park run I get lapped. When I say lapped, I mean pushed into the side.
I've let the folk in charge know but it makes no difference.

The atmosphere of a fund raising event is so different.
You usually have someone at the front doing a warm up to music before you head out (not all the time though) You're all there to raise funds.
There are so many different levels and you're all raising money for the same thing.

Go. Relax. Enjoy.
If after this event it's not for you thats ok.

You can run alone and do Virtual events that raise money.
I do a lot of virtual runner events- pay £5 to £20. You send the organisers a screenshot of your distance and a few days later you get a medal.
And you can do these for charity.
Google Virtual Runs
(Theres even a virtual run Disney!)
Thank you so much, you've cheered me up. Will definitely look into virtual events. Well done you xx
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List