Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The Bare Necessities - Day 7 Tuesday 6th August 2019 TL and AK

Day 7 Typhoon Lagoon and Animal Kingdom Tuesday 6th August 2019

Welcome to The Bare Necessities Trip Report. I’m Abby and I went to Orlando at the end of July 2019 with my husband David, our children Max (14) and Kate (12). We’ve been to Orlando before But this trip was different as we had my parents Jac and Tom with us, they will be referred to as Mum and Dad or Grandma and Grandad throughout the report. I was so excited to take them with us as this was their first time to WDW.

Day 7

Today we are off to our first water park of the trip. Max really loves the waterparks and always says Typhoon Lagoon is his favourite so that’s where we were heading today. In the evening we were going to go back to AK so we could see Pandora in the dark. We didn’t have any ADRs planned for today and it was going to be a laid back day.

Water parks seem more laid back I suppose that’s because we spend a good amount of time floating around in the lazy river.

So the alarm was set for 7.30am today, a bit of a lie in really! My yellow balloon was still going strong.

The 4 of us in our room were up and ready so we went to the food court for breakfast before catching the bus to TL. Dave and Kate shared the breakfast flatbread, which had egg, cheese, peppers and sausage on it. They both really enjoyed this.

I made Dave get a beer for the fridge in the room as the drink, he didn't enjoy getting a beer at breakfast but I figured he would thank me later.

I shared the berry pancakes with Max, I asked for the berry to be on the side as I had seen Rescuer do this in her report. It was a fab breakfast with lots of sausage and bacon.

Having the berry sauce on the side meant we could pour lots of maple syrup on the pancakes. I got a Margarita as my drink (for later) I was less bothered about going through the till at 8.30am than Dave.

We made our way to the bus stop at just after 9am. The screen was showing a bus should arrive at 9.11am, in the end it turned up at 9.18am and then went to Riverside to pick up more people there. The bus ended up in a bus traffic jam as the bus stop at Riverside had about 5 buses waiting there and the one right at the front had parked in a way that meant the bus halfway across the road and no one else could get past.

I think I may be the only person who never used to mind swapping buses at Disney Springs to go to the water parks. I suppose if I think back I probably moaned when it was announced there would be a change from a direct bus from the resort to the water park. But, when it came to it I actually liked that we had to go via DS the last couple of years as we could pick up a Starbucks breakfast and then one the way home we could stop off somewhere for lunch.

Now that the buses are direct to there is no avoiding the food in the water parks although we didn't do too badly.

We arrived at TL about 10 minutes before rope drop and we made our way around to the right of the wave pool towards my favourite seating are. But I was sad to find out that we couldn’t settle here this year as the area just between the Miss Adventure Falls raft ride and Typhoon Tillys QS had been changed into a premium area so we had to go slightly further along the path to get some sunbeds.

We pretty much just dumped our stuff and then went back to Miss Adventure Falls.

This is the newer family raft ride. No climbing up lots of stairs for this one as you sit in the raft as it travels up the ramp. It was only a 5 minute wait and we all enjoyed this.

Afterwards we went round the corner to Crush N Gusher. I’d been explaining to Dad that he should give all these rides a go, and he did! He’s not a very confident swimmer and he doesn’t like going underwater, but I explained that he would be in the raft/rubber ring the whole time and while it’s exhilarating on the ride he wouldn’t fall out and so urged him to try not to worry.

We did Pineapple Plunger and Banana Blaster, so that Max and Kate could get to ride with both Mum and Dad.

Of course, me and Dave went together.

We then had some fun in the wave pool, by which I mean I watched the others have fun as I don’t like the wave pool at all Dave, Max and Kate went way out, Mum and Dad sort of stayed at about waist deep. I sat on the edge with the old ladies The waves are still pretty strong out there though.

After the kids had their fill of waves we went over to the other family raft ride, the older one! I can’t remember all the names…but we did that and did some of the single rider slides over on that side of the park. Keelhaul falls or Mayday falls, I think it was those rides.

It was now coming up for midday and we’d had a fast and furious morning so we did a tour of the lazy river, Mum needed a bit of help getting into and out of the rubber ring in the lazy river, it was pretty funny watching Max pick her up and put her in it

After our gentle lap of the park we stopped for lunch at Typhon Tillys.

We ordered 2 fish baskets which come with fries, 2 shrimp baskets also with fries and Kate had an Italian deli sandwich which came with tortilla chips. This sandwich was way better than I thought it would be there was loads of meat and cheese, it was great. The battered fish and shrimp were also good as they were cooked fresh.

For the 5 QS meals we got 5 alcoholic drinks. 2 Sam Adams and 3 Frozen Blue Tidal Wave cocktails.

The more observant among you will spot 4 blue drinks. The one without the little stick in is a non alcoholic raspberry slushy, this was a snack credit along with 2 cokes and an ice tea. I already knew at this point there was no way we were getting through the credits so I figured each time we ordered a QS we would get a cocktail of beer and then order soft drinks as snacks for those who wanted them.

Max and Kate went back to the wave pool after lunch while the rest of us lazed around.

About half an hour later there was an announcement that they would have to close the pools as there was inclement weather incoming. As we’d pretty much done everything we wanted we packed and went racing for a bus back to FQ trying to beat all the crowds.

When we got to the bus stop there was a bus waiting so that was lucky and we were soon on our way back to the resort.

We decided to all just have a quick shower and meet up in an hour. When we arrived back at the bus stop there was a bus just arriving for AK which was really lucky.

Kate took some bus selfies. Back seat of the bus our favourite!

The weather was still looking dicey!

We had some photos in front of the Tree of Life.

I had booked The Lion King show at AK as a fast pass, I don’t normally bother with FP for shows, but as I knew I wanted to fit it in and that Mum and Dad would appreciate the show I figured it was worth it. Plus we didn’t need all the other FP at AK the only one we really needed was Flight of Passage and that was booked up for later.

So, we headed over to Africa.

It’s such a great show, we had fun singing along. We were in the elephant section of the audience.

The Tumble Monkeys are my absolute favourite part of the show.

After that we decided we deserved some snacks and cocktails from Tamu Tamu.

Max had the Simba ice cream cookie sandwich. This was really good.

Dad had the Malva cake sundae, which he really enjoyed.

Kate had the Simba sunset, dole whip with water melon and strawberry. 3 snack credits here.

Dave had the Tusker Lager and mum and me had the Kings cooler, basically the same as Kate but with rum! These were very strong and very tasty! The server made it really clear which were ours and which was the non alcoholic version as they look identical and obviously he didn't want us to accidentally give Kate the one with alcohol in.

We had a chat about what to do next, I suggested It’s Tough to be a Bug, but we decided to do that later as Max suggested the other trail – the Maharajah Jungle Trek. This is the one with the tigers (as well as other animals). We all decided this was a great idea as we had enjoyed the Africa Trail so were keen to do the Asia one as well.

Kate took lots of photos on the trail, some of which I’ve included here!

A little bit of goofing around, I've no idea what this pose is all about.

Back to the trail.

Finally the tigers.

As you can see there weren't really many people on the trail. It was about an hour before it closed for the night which was the perfect time I think as it wasn't too hot and it was very quiet.

I loved the theming especially the sign above this table.

I didn't know Kate had taken this group selfie shot, but I really loved coming across it when I was sorting through all the photos.

Last few pics of the trail.

And a Kate and me selfie.

I'm sure you don't need me to tell you how much I like the trails at AK. I urge you to do at least one. I really think this is a must do for us each trip. We don't always do them all. This year we didn't do the Discovery Island trail, so we really have to add that to the trip plan for next year!

After the Asia trail the four of us did Expedition Everest while Mum and Dad sat it out.

We loved it.

Max and Kate went back round for another ride.

While we waited I was watching a cast member with a walkie talkie radio who spotted some spilled ice cream so of course he wanted to take action straight away. He quickly radio-ed for back up, while standing guard over the ice cream so that no one slipped over in it and within a couple of minutes so someone came along and cleaned it all up. Honestly it was all sorted and cleaned away so quickly. I wondered if it was literally his job to call in custodial help or if he was a park big-wig manager type but either way the spilled ice cream didn't last long.

It was now just before 7pm and It’s Tough to be a Bug was showing a 10 minute wait so we headed onto Discovery Island.

As we went past Eight Spoon Cafe I spotted it was closed, so no mac and cheese for dinner today. Thwarted again

Onwards to the Bug show as our FOP FP wasn’t open yet anyway.

This was fun and of course Mum and Dad were not expecting the surprise ending and jumped out of their seats.

It was now time for the FOP FP. As usual this was fab, I took the time to have a look to the right and left as I was interested in the ride set up. It was interesting to see some of the other riders, given that we’ve done it a lot of times I didn’t mind missing out on some of the ride itself as I was keen to see how the ‘bikes’ work. But, if it’s your first time I’d recommend you just focus on what’s in front of you and don't look too much to the left or right as it's much better to be fully absorbed in what's in front of you. Plus even with doing it a lot of times there are new things I spot as it's so immersive.

For our dinner we went to Satuli Canteen.

Unfortunately Max made a poor choice here, he didn't really want any of the rice, noodles etc...I tried to persuade him this would be fine to get plain noodles and beef or chicken, but he went with the child's meal of beef salad. It was tiny. The others were surprised this was 1 QS credit. I wasn't and had tried to persuade him to get an adult bowl, never mind it's not like he's gone hungry. Also on the tray are 2 beef and chicken bowls with creamy sauce and black bean sauce.

Kate went with noodles and chicken and mum went with chicken and beef.

Dad had shrimp.

Mum and me had the blue sangria cocktails.

The spiked dole whip must have gone to my head as I'd forgotten my earlier plan and so the kids just had a drink with their meal

Kate had the normal sized coke, Max had the kids sized! Fortunately it's a fountain machine so he got some refills.

Dad ordered a beer and it came out green.

It tasted ok, but he wasn't impressed it was green

After eating we wandered around Pandora and of course got a photopass.

Plus we took some pretty rubbish photos of the luminescent lights.

It was coming up for 9pm and we weren’t fussed about seeing ROL again, so we watched the Tree of Life Awakenings for a little while and then decided we should try to beat the crowds from the show and head to the bus stop.

There was a bus already there but this time, Max ran for it, but we didn’t make it in time and it left so we ended up being first in the queue for the next bus.

Another couple of photos here that I didn't realise were being taken!

At least we knew we’d get a seat when the bus came. It wasn't too long a wait but we were tired and just wanted to get back to bed so it was a little frustrating.

All in all today was a good day, I can't it was amazing or sensational in any way. I can’t say that any of our dreams were fulfilled today, but we had fun. We were now more than halfway through the Disney part of the holiday with just 6 Disney days to go so I guess you need a couple of days in the middle which are just standard days. Does that make sense? The kids enjoyed a bit more freedom at the water park and I was glad both Mum and Dad had a go on some of the water park slides and trusted me that they were going to be ok. I promised them I wouldn't try and trick them onto going on Humunga Kowabunga or the like. Once again we had a nice time wandering around AK in the evening seeing my favourite show and doing the Maharjah trek. It's a shame Max picked poorly for dinner, but he’d hardly starved all day. I don’t think I rate the QS at Satuli as highly as others seem to and I’m not sure I’ll bother going back again.

Statistics
Steps 18,590
Attractions 4 (not counting the slides at TL)

Coming Soon
Next up tomorrow we are at HS in the morning and decide to have funnel cakes…for breakfast! I'm not sure this is really a breakfast item, but you’ve got to fit those snacks in somehow. In the afternoon we chilled at the resort and I had another Dibb meet up with lovely OB1, before heading out to dinner at Narcoossees. I had my eye on the surf and turf, I'd been dreaming about that for ages.

But before all that there will be a mid season break for the Bare Necessities trip report it won’t be a long interlude as I will be back shortly! We are going to Washington DC next week and so day 8 will be posted after that trip in a couple of weeks. I hope you all have a good few weeks. I’ve never kept to a schedule with posting trip reports before as I don't want to feel like it's a chore to be done, but this time I'm really enjoying writing and posting a day each week plus it’s great to know that I’m already halfway through the report and it's only October, we've barely been back two months. So, I’m keen to share the second half with everyone and I suspect that will be in two weeks.

I will post the Washington DC trip report over in the General Reports if you want to read about that, but if not then I’ll see you all in a couple of weeks.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

It's great being able to have a lie in isn't ... although I love how in Florida 7.30am is a lie in that's the time I get up at home on school days!

Lucky you got all the rides done before the weather changed.

A great afternoon/night in AK, a shame about Max's food though.

Hope you have a great time in Washington DC, but I'm sure you will. Looking forward to the rest of the report and hopefully a mini report from Washington too xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Mobile

7.30am lie in - yep, that’s how holidays are done here too!
Sounds like a lovely day. You always manage to fit lots in but keep it chilled at the same time. Poor Max, bet he was dreaming of those two steaks after that tiny dinner.

Hope you have a fantastic time in Washington and enjoy those first class flights!

Now for a little thread hijack; I’m posting this from a lounger by the RPR pool while I enjoy my strawberry margarita. It’s our first full day and Heath has already done the wand choosing ceremony, fought Death Eaters and escaped from Gringotts amongst masses of other stuff - we’re having an amazing time and it’s thanks to reports like yours that we know what to look out for so thank you Abby and everyone else who takes the time to share their experiences - it’s hugely appreciated!
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Sounds like a really lovely day to me, it's a shame you just felt it was just ok. Your breakfasts look really good, especially the pancakes. I think I would want the berries on the side too... maple syrup, yum .

Fun morning at TL, it seems like you did a fair few rides. It's good that Mum and Dad were happy to join in too. I'm a bit disappointed to hear that the area next to Miss Adventure Falls is now premium seating... that was our preferred spot too.

Lovely evening at AK... again, you've made me more aware of the trails. I think we really must do them next time. The Lion King show is great, one of my favourites and a definite must do for first timers, so I'm really glad your Mum and Dad got to see it. It sounds as though you were all just tired by the end of the day and wanting home.

So jealous of your upcoming trip to Washington DC. It always hovers around the top of our list of places to visit, but has been knocked back several times now for other destinations. I think we really must prioritise it after next year. I'm so looking forward to your report of it Abby, can't wait!

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
It's great being able to have a lie in isn't ... although I love how in Florida 7.30am is a lie in that's the time I get up at home on school days!

Lucky you got all the rides done before the weather changed.

A great afternoon/night in AK, a shame about Max's food though.

Hope you have a great time in Washington DC, but I'm sure you will. Looking forward to the rest of the report and hopefully a mini report from Washington too xx
yes 7.30 alarm is a huge lie in for Orlando always makes me chuckle when I read it in trip reports even though we are the same!

Yes we did well at TL to get the rides in, but it's always best to get as much done in the morning as possible we've been rained off pretty much every time we go.

There will definitely be a Washington DC trip report but it will not be mini! You should know by now Kelly, I am nothing if not thorough, verging on over explaining, so it will be a long winded trip report

Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
7.30am lie in - yep, that’s how holidays are done here too!
Sounds like a lovely day. You always manage to fit lots in but keep it chilled at the same time. Poor Max, bet he was dreaming of those two steaks after that tiny dinner.

Hope you have a fantastic time in Washington and enjoy those first class flights!

Now for a little thread hijack; I’m posting this from a lounger by the RPR pool while I enjoy my strawberry margarita. It’s our first full day and Heath has already done the wand choosing ceremony, fought Death Eaters and escaped from Gringotts amongst masses of other stuff - we’re having an amazing time and it’s thanks to reports like yours that we know what to look out for so thank you Abby and everyone else who takes the time to share their experiences - it’s hugely appreciated!
Ha ha I bet he was dreaming of the CRT steaks. Have I mentioned the flights? yep we are very excited, already pre ordered our dinners and I'm planning on getting to the airport four hours before the flight to make proper use of the lounge.

But Oh Tara it sounds like you're having a great time. Heath was picked for the wand ceremony, brilliant I hope you bought the wand. And now you're enjoying a strawberry marg at RPR pool, I am very jealous as we didn't get to do the pool at RPR as it was so rainy we had a quick hour one evening after dinner when just the kids went in while it was just drizzly and not torrential please send me a photo it's not a hijack at all, I'm really keen to find out how you're getting on.

Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
Sounds like a really lovely day to me, it's a shame you just felt it was just ok. Your breakfasts look really good, especially the pancakes. I think I would want the berries on the side too... maple syrup, yum .

Fun morning at TL, it seems like you did a fair few rides. It's good that Mum and Dad were happy to join in too. I'm a bit disappointed to hear that the area next to Miss Adventure Falls is now premium seating... that was our preferred spot too.

Lovely evening at AK... again, you've made me more aware of the trails. I think we really must do them next time. The Lion King show is great, one of my favourites and a definite must do for first timers, so I'm really glad your Mum and Dad got to see it. It sounds as though you were all just tired by the end of the day and wanting home.

So jealous of your upcoming trip to Washington DC. It always hovers around the top of our list of places to visit, but has been knocked back several times now for other destinations. I think we really must prioritise it after next year. I'm so looking forward to your report of it Abby, can't wait!
It was a good day, I suppose I meant it wasn't earth shattering in comparison to some of the other days we'd had. But you're right it was lovely.

They had huge bottles of maple syrup for the pancakes so yes I poured it on liberally.

I had no clue about the premium seating taking over my favourite spot at TL. I was quite put out it's a lovely secluded area and between Tillys and Miss Adeventure Falls is a great location. We've never really looked at the seating the other side of the wave pool, I'm sure it's fine over there too. In the end we sort of wandered over the bridge past Tillys near where the shark swim pool used to be and found some loungers over there.

DC is going to be good I think. Lots of memorials and museums, I've never been but of course I've read lots of trip reports. We have 5 days which should be long enough. I tried to get a tour of the Whitehouse but unfortunately we couldn't get tickets, but I did get us on the tour of the Capitol building.

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Mobile

The weather is fab, sorry to rub it in! Sunny but not too hot, 29 degrees at the mo.

The wand was purchased immediately! An Ollivander original, holly wand with dragon heart string (I think that’s right!). He’s having a great time doing spells with it.

Thanks for indulging my little hijack! I’ll do my own report once we’re home 😄
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Th1nkT1nk
Imagineer

Mobile

Really enjoyed reading AK can’t fail on giving a good day for me... we’ve not tried satu’li yet but it’s on my wish list for next year ... Shame you were underwhelmed. Glad you managed to ride FOP again... it is the best ride imo- I am resisting the urge to watch POV YouTube videos on it as I want to be surprised by it all over again
I hope you have a wonderful time in Washington! Wow!
I’ll look forward to reading day 8 when it’s up.
Old 17 Oct 19, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Perfect weather, you need to take another gulp of that drink as there is way too much left. I bet your heart melted when he was picked, I know mine did when Kate got picked. I hope he has fun casting all the spells.

Ooh do you like cider? I had the fire whiskey cocktail from the bar in Diagon Alley, near the stage where Celestina sings. It's a pint of cider with a shot of whiskey in and it was delicious. We've had it since coming home too, very refreshing I must say, plus they sell butterbeer so Heath could try that.

Old 17 Oct 19, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Th1nkT1nk View Post
Really enjoyed reading AK can’t fail on giving a good day for me... we’ve not tried satu’li yet but it’s on my wish list for next year ... Shame you were underwhelmed. Glad you managed to ride FOP again... it is the best ride imo- I am resisting the urge to watch POV YouTube videos on it as I want to be surprised by it all over again
I hope you have a wonderful time in Washington! Wow!
I’ll look forward to reading day 8 when it’s up.
We've been to Satuli a couple of times and underwhelmed is the perfect word. Last year we tried both the puddings they have and they are very pretty, so definitely go, but it's not a top priority for me. I think the bowls are good and we do like stir fry it's just all a bit confusing with picking the meat and the sauce and the base and I'd rather they just put together a set meal option.

This was our 3rd FOP ride this trip, so I figured I could indulge myself and have a little look to the left and right to see how it was all done. You're right though enjoy it for what it is.

Old 18 Oct 19, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Ariel's Mum
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Enoying your trippie. Have an amazing time in Washington DC!

2013 Trippie - Something Old Something New
2011 Trippie Disney & Beyond
2010 Trip Report UNFINISHED

2 weeks WDW '96 ~ Private Villa 2003 ~ Sheraton Village 2005 ~ Sanctuary Westhaven 2006, 2007, 2008 ~ Sarasota 10 days Oct 2008 ~ Windsor Palms 2009 ~ 24 Nights Sabal Harbour Jun 2010 ~ 28 Nights 2011 ~ Watersong/HRH/Rotonda Villa ~ 22 nights Westhaven/CR/AKL/RPR/Rotonda
NOW PLANNING 22 Nights - Orlando/Marco Island
Ariel's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List