Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Oct 19, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
soexcited28
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Does anyone know once you check in online if we haven’t already booked seats which we haven’t, if BA have selected our seats can we swap them around if seats available for free?
soexcited28 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

Originally Posted by soexcited28 View Post
Does anyone know once you check in online if we haven’t already booked seats which we haven’t, if BA have selected our seats can we swap them around if seats available for free?
Yes you can
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Tretinker
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by youre-nicked View Post
I've always paid for the seats as the uncertainty of not knowing would play on my mind and ruin the excitement a bit.

My friend always refuses to pay for their seats and used to brag that they had never been seated apart until their last trip when his wife and kids were at the front of the plane together and he was near the back all alone.
This is my dream dh can sit with kids and I'll sit at the back on my own and actually read a book

I'm not sure what your friend is like but when I say I've been seated together I'm not bragging! When you pay you are also choosing your location which you may have a preference over where as I'm going to be placed where ever the algorithm puts me with or without those I've booked with, this matters to some people and so choosing to pay is a good option for them but for me I hate flying and I'm going to hate it wherever I sit so I want to pay as little as possible to do the thing I absolutely hate the most
1st Trip - Sept/Oct 1997 *2nd Trip - Nov/Dec 2000, *3rd Trip - Oct/Nov 2005 *4th Trip - Mar/Apr 2016 5th Trip - Easter 2017 the year of the chicken pox *6th Trip - Aug 2019 a first time for summer *7th Trip - Aug 2020 And then there were 4 *1st DLP Trip December 2020
Tretinker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

What do you mean when you say you won’t be expected to ‘assist anyone else’s kids?’
There have been people on here that don’t book seats and say that if they are split up from their kids the people sitting next to them either need to move or assist their kids.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

My kids are 9 & 5... I would always prebook seats as I want them sat with me and I have a responsibility as a parent to make sure they are cared for and supervised.

Is it a family tax? It it unfair ? Its all besides the point...

If I was on a plane with prebooked seats I wouldn't move for another family who had not. No way. And I wouldn't supervise their children.

The original OP asked if it was risky - well yes...

If its too expensive then I would recommend pre-booking the seats for the member of the parties who need to be sat together or are wanting to be sat together and take the risk on the rest.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 01:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ziggyzag View Post
Yes you can
Yes, unless you’ve booked Basic Economy. With BE, any seat selection or change is paid, even at OLCI (seats are allocated free at OLCI, but you’d pay to change them).

Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
If its too expensive then I would recommend pre-booking the seats for the member of the parties who need to be sat together or are wanting to be sat together and take the risk on the rest.
Not 100%, but I don’t think BA allows this, if you pay for seats you have to pay for everyone on the same booking.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 04:22 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by youre-nicked View Post
I've always paid for the seats as the uncertainty of not knowing would play on my mind and ruin the excitement a bit.

My friend always refuses to pay for their seats and used to brag that they had never been seated apart until their last trip when his wife and kids were at the front of the plane together and he was near the back all alone.
I don't think it's a matter of bragging. Just accepting that some people will sleep, watch movies, read etc perfectly well without the need for another adult they know sitting next to them if the flight is too busy to get seats together.
We've always had seats together without paying , not a brag , just a fact , probably helped by the fact I avoid school holidays to travel. We both agree it wouldn't be the end of the world if we didn't though. We will have two weeks of 24/7 togetherness on holiday and when we go to work we manage 8 hours apart perfectly w ell too

I'm not sure why because some low cost carriers to Europe deliberately won't seat people together it is assumed BA do the same, there's plenty of anecdotal evidence to say they don't !

Edited at 04:24 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I don't think it's a matter of bragging. Just accepting that some people will sleep, watch movies, read etc perfectly well without the need for another adult they know sitting next to them if the flight is too busy to get seats together.
We've always had seats together without paying , not a brag , just a fact , probably helped by the fact I avoid school holidays to travel. We both agree it wouldn't be the end of the world if we didn't though. We will have two weeks of 24/7 togetherness on holiday and when we go to work we manage 8 hours apart perfectly w ell too

I'm not sure why because some low cost carriers to Europe deliberately won't seat people together it is assumed BA do the same, there's plenty of anecdotal evidence to say they don't !
Weve never booked seats on BA and ALWAYS been sat together.

Saying that...we are with them this December so im touching wood while typing this

We have been sat apart on Delta, Aer Lingus and United to name a few before. To be honest, my oldest was always happy to sit apart from his younger brother and would often be in a different row.

Everyone has their preference but I will take whatever seats we get. If 2 together then my wife and youngest would take them but other than that, I'll see them again in 8 hours
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
There have been people on here that don’t book seats and say that if they are split up from their kids the people sitting next to them either need to move or assist their kids.
People "say" all sorts ... doesn't mean it'll happen or is true
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Sweets
like a dog with a bone

Mobile

I always pay for our seats because it’s important to me that we sit together. Whether that’s as a family of 4 or a couple.

For 7 it would be quite expensive so like another poster suggested, I’d keep an eye on the seat map and see how it’s looking as the weeks go on.

Port Orleans Riverside ~ Oct 2012
Hard Rock Hotel (no Disney!) ~ Aug 2016
New York, Sheraton NY Times Square ~ Feb 2017
Santorini, Dana Villas ~ Aug 2017
Yacht Club ~ Sept 2018
Caribbean Cruise, P&O ~ Mar 2019
Caribbean Beach Resort ~ May 2022 & May 2023
Drury Plaza (first adults only trip!) ~ Aug 2024

Sweets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List