Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Oct 19, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I would not do it personally, I think it's rather rude. But then I am older and was brought up to be grateful for what you're given. I wouldn't be offended tho, just secretly amused and think the guest was being a bit pretentious.
Rude and pretentious could sum me up quite well

When customers ask if I want a tea or coffee, I tell them that I have a medical condition and I can only drink costa or Starbucks coffee (many believe me).
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Princess Alison View Post
It was a yellow sachet with a coffee bag in it. I’ve not seen these before and a bit intrigued! Is that ‘real’ coffee ?!
I do wonder if it was like a detox type coffee. Did she have milk? Either way would of been better to just say if it was the above.
Old 15 Oct 19, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by scottishmum View Post
Not at all, some folk are quite fussy with their coffee so I wouldn’t be offended if someone brought their own.

I rarely have coffee at my friends house but I really don’t like it , she pours as soon as the kettle has boiled, uses instant coffee and skimmed milk , in fact I hate it but as I say I very rarely go so it doesn’t affect me.
Ewww lol. Instant burnt thin coffee.

I would definitely accept out of politeness if it wasn't someone I knew well, although I probably wouldn't drink it lol. If someone brought their own tea to my house I definitley wouldn't be offended as neither of us drink it so all I keep in the house is a box of supermarket bags for tradesmen etc!
SquishTheWhale is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

A slight side issue, if you are going to friends in the evening do you take booze? We go to a couple, she drinks gin and he has lager, I like gin but get drunk far too quickly on it so stick to the lager, we always take a box of 12 Stella/San Miguel or the like (he does drink this), they leave this by the front door and when we are leaving try to get us to take it back . I feel uneasy going empty handed to visit them and they don't come here as they have a little boy so would have to pay a sitter so us to them is the easier option. Are we old fashioned, is no longer the 'norm' to take drinks in this situation, I don't want to offend.
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rebelrebel View Post
A slight side issue, if you are going to friends in the evening do you take booze? We go to a couple, she drinks gin and he has lager, I like gin but get drunk far too quickly on it so stick to the lager, we always take a box of 12 Stella/San Miguel or the like (he does drink this), they leave this by the front door and when we are leaving try to get us to take it back . I feel uneasy going empty handed to visit them and they don't come here as they have a little boy so would have to pay a sitter so us to them is the easier option. Are we old fashioned, is no longer the 'norm' to take drinks in this situation, I don't want to offend.
If drinking is expected then I'd still say it's good manners to bring a bottle. Even if the game of bringing it and taking it home again continues at least you tried! We don't drink so I often bring soft drinks of my choice if attending a bbq or something. It's polite and also I know I'll have something I like to drink. I do tend to take it home if there's any left but I offer it up to share.

As I say we don't drink but we do have some alcohol in the house. My brother in law always brings his own bottles of spirits as he drinks like a fish (well he is Irish). So either what we have isn't what he likes or he just doesn't want to empty our cupboard in one night! I'm glad he brings it to be honest as I'm not going out and buying bottles whenever he visits seeing as nobody else will be drinking.

Edited at 11:18 AM.
SquishTheWhale is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Rebelrebel View Post
I always take a few beers in this case and ALWAYS leave what i havent drunk unless its a hard to get drink ( like this summer i got a 12 box of Jubel, so took home what i didnt drink )
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 06:26 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

If you were invited to a friends house for a cuppa and a chat, do you think it would be ok to take your own coffee sachet with you?

Or should you accept what is provided?
Take your own water milk and kettle too? If you do take your own coffee you know what you and your friend will chat about.
Oh and your own cup!

But seriously, why not just ask your friend if she/he minds? As you are friends I’m sure that would be fine
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

IF I did want to take my own coffee I would take enough for two and say "So and so recommended this to me so I thought we would try it".
And regarding alcohol I always take a bottle of wine and sometimes Dave will take some beers, we never bring them back.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
IF I did want to take my own coffee I would take enough for two and say "So and so recommended this to me so I thought we would try it".
And regarding alcohol I always take a bottle of wine and sometimes Dave will take some beers, we never bring them back.
Would you take 2 take away costas to their house, and what wine do you take (I know you always need to be near a bottle of wine)?
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

It was a yellow sachet with a coffee bag in it. I’ve not seen these before and a bit intrigued! Is that ‘real’ coffee ?!
I think it could have been the real filter individual coffee bags Ive seen some made by Lyons.

My SIL openly jokes about her 'terrible' coffee, she buys very cheap smart price coffee as she does'nt drink it and keeps it for guests.

I will have a cup but have to drink it black as I can't drink anything other than Skimmed Milk (or white water as my DH says) and she does'nt have it.

I don't think its rude per se to take your own as people are much more assertive nowadays and know what they like.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List