Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Oct 19, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile The Dreaded Jetlag - Help!

Hi Everyone

I’m in desperate need of help.

Late Sunday night I got back from the most amazing 4 weeks on the West’s Coast. It was lovely and relaxing for the most part, so I thought the jetlag would be OK

However, this is the worst I’ve ever had it, and I’m at my wits end.

Last night I was in bed by 9.15, and asleep by 10. However at 2am, I was wide awake and completely unable to get back to sleep. In fact, I’m out and about now as I was up until it was time for my appointments.

I’ve tried everything so far (I know it’s only a few days) naps, no naps, no caffine, caffine, fresh bedding etc, but nothing’s working.

I totally appreciate it’s only been a couple of days, but I feel so poorly with it. Constant nausea and a headache.

Any suggestions for how I can try to combat it? I’m literally a walking zombie right now

Thanks in Advance

Gill
Old 16 Oct 19, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

Melatonin if you have some or can get some failing that an early night tonight with a swig of night nurse - I find after one night of decent/routine sleep I fall back into a pattern again

Good luck !
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Thanks Megaflyer

Honestly in all my years I’ve never had it this bad!

I can’t get any melatonin, but I’ll pick some night nurse up on the way home tonight
Old 16 Oct 19, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
joxxxxx
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Mobile

Eat a carb heavy meal at night and a low carb high protein meal in the morning. No TV, computers or phone usage for the two hours before you want to go to sleep.
joxxxxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

After recommendations on here I bought some Melatonin from Walmart whilst over there.

It had been 10 years since my last long haul flight so not much to compare it to but I think the Melatonin helped.

I took one on the night flight home and slept for around 3.5 hours. We then had a 3 hour nap during that day and I took another tablet at around 9pm that evening and slept through til 2am, had a half tablet then and back asleep until my alarm went off the next morning for work. Bit tired on the Monday (might have just been a shock to the system after 3 weeks off though!) and an early night again but manageable.

I am sure the Melatonin must have helped plus getting back into a routine straightaway I am sure helped. We landed on Sunday morning straight back to work Monday. I was dreading it but it wasn't half as bad as I had feared.

I am sure Night Nurse will have a similar effect, making you drowsy so you go off to sleep but if it allows, take another dose immediately if you wake up in the middle of the night and hopefully it will get you back to sleep.

Hope it improves soon. I once went on two holidays back to back, first one being China - flew back home and the day after flew to the US. That took me a few days to get used to

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

What melatonin does is tell your body when it is dark - influencing sleep by sending a signal to the brain that it is time for rest. This signal helps initiate the body's physiological preparations for sleep—muscles begin to relax, feelings of drowsiness increase, body temperature drops. Melatonin levels naturally rise during the early evening as darkness falls.

So you do not need to take an artificial hormone - you need darkness.

As the evening goes on - shut curtains, dim lights, do not look at screens (this is why it is advised by medical professionals- no screens 4 hours before bedtime) - that includes phones/devices/TV.

When you go to bed put a sleep mask on - make it dark.

In the morning you need the opposite - open curtains, lights on - Lots of outside time with natural light.

Let your body's melatonin take the strain... I've read about people having jetlag who take melatonin and then sit watching telly to stay awake til some arbitrary time - doh!
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

We came back two weeks ago and it has got worse and worse for me each time we go, this time I literally felt like a walking zombie, with flu like symptoms.
I Have Melatonin but get irrational dreams with them, which wake me up.

I only started to feel better after being home five days, I found water , Dehydration salts and two cans of Monster in the day for one day only , made me feel better this is definately not a healthy recommendation but believe me needs must as I had to do a three hour commute the next day, I slept with the window open , and eye mask and ear plugs and gradually felt better.

Dh on the other hand said he felt 'a little sleepy' :0
snowbelle is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
We came back two weeks ago and it has got worse and worse for me each time we go, this time I literally felt like a walking zombie, with flu like symptoms.
I Have Melatonin but get irrational dreams with them, which wake me up.

<...>
That is interesting - I got hallucinations on it the one time I used it ... I woke up thinking I was still in the States and walked into our (luckily unlit) fireplace thinking - knowing - seeing - it was the doorway to the kitchen in the villa.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
That is interesting - I got hallucinations on it the one time I used it ... I woke up thinking I was still in the States and walked into our (luckily unlit) fireplace thinking - knowing - seeing - it was the doorway to the kitchen in the villa.

I don't think it's for everyone tbh, probably not for anyone on medication either it may contraindicate.

But Ive tried a few different makes and its always the same .

We have decided to try and book flights that come back on a Friday now to get some rest before Work on Monday.
snowbelle is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
MaryMendes
Excited about Disney

I had the worst jet lag after we’d been to the West Coast 3 years ago & melatonin only made me feel groggy but didn’t let me sleep.

I also felt ill after about 3 days of only getting 2-3 hours sleep after 5am & it’s made me wary of going back.

I don’t really have any suggestions other than waiting for your body to catch up.
MaryMendes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List