Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Oct 19, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
I love walmart
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile University summer holidays

Anyone with children at uni or who works at a uni, could I please pick your brains?
I want to plan ahead for our next USA road trip in 2021. My youngest will be finishing high school and oldest finishing his first year at university. I would love to take advantage of the fact that GCSE’s end earlier than the rest of school. But I have no idea when university finishes. Do they have end of year exams? I don’t want to wait until September 2020 when he starts uni to get the exact times as it makes planning ahead too difficult. If everyone could tell me their experience and start of their child’s uni summer holiday (and which uni) it would really help.
My son will be first generation uni goer, so the husband and I are a bit clueless at this point!
Thanks x
I love walmart is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
RockTheDots
slightly serious Dibber

RockTheDots's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I work at Reading Uni and the summer term usually finishes mid-June - this year it was 14th. I would expect most unis finish for summer before GCSEs end.
Disneyland: 2022 (Trip report: LA & Aulani), 2023
DCL: Magic x2, Dream, Wish (booked for 2024!), Fantasy and Wonder (booked for 2025!)
RockTheDots is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

When I went to uni (graduated in 2017) my summer used to start about May, usually towards the end if I remember correctly. I went Manchester metropolitan and I didn’t do exams on my course.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
It does vary between universities so some will finish as early as the end of May and some more towards the end of June. Universities all publish their term dates a long way in advance on their websites so once he has a clearer idea where he might end up studying, you can have a look to see when the academic year ends.

It looks like you want to go away in early summer, but in case your plans change, please be aware that if he needs to resit any exams, resits usually take place during August but hopefully this won't be necessary.

Debra
Old 16 Oct 19, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
OP, have you tried looking at the university's website for their term timetables? Although it might not show when the summer 2021 term ends, it might show when it will end in 2020 and when it ended in 2019. You can then use that to give you a reasonably good idea when the summer term in 2021 will end.

So, for example, on the Manchester Uni webpage, it indicates that their summer term usually ends in the early part of June (11th June for 2021).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Does depend on the course, my daughter does an 11 week placement which takes her into summer and she only gets 6 weeks.
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Dayle
Imagineer

Yes friends daughter had a placement in first year and didn’t finish until mid July.
D D usually finished early June but stayed around in uni town for ball etc til mid June.
Dayle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
I love walmart
Being a bit Goofy

Thankyou everyone. It didn’t even cross my mind to check the uni website for term dates, as I’m used to schools only showing 1 years worth. I checked the 5 universities he has applied to and they had their dates up. Some even had 2023. Times vary hugely from end of May to first week in July.

Edited at 03:48 PM.
I love walmart is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Evil queen
Imagineer

This year my course finishes lectures at the beginning of June, I have exams a week later results in July and then the resists if required are in the first week of August. Ideally you could do to find out when any assessments are and resits although you may need to speak to them to find that out.
Evil queen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Depends on university and depends on course! Some courses (e.g. medicine and vet medicine) may have term dates that are quite different from the other university courses...