Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Oct 19, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Fortunately we live in the U.K. - policing by consent.
Agreed but I'm sure that gives little comfort to commuters.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I'm not seeing any reports of any serious injuries, more snowflakes getting removed robustly ! Didums.
I suspect they assumed no one would dare touch them and the grown ups saying no and firmly removing them rather than the kid gloves approach taken by the Police came as an abrupt shock to these rather naive people.
The problem is that the police are bound to act proportionately (College of Policing Code of Ethics). The action taken by XR is non violent and while they use seriously disruptive tactics, the strategic and tactical commanders have take a proportionate approach in dealing with the protests.
While we could kit up all the officers in full "riot kit" with shields supported by horses and dogs and take back the streets in a couple of hours, all it would serve to do is wake up the leftist activists and draw attention to their cause from across the world due to the actions of the police.
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
Agreed but I'm sure that gives little comfort to commuters.
it doesn't, but wading in with batons GBH'ing people using disruptive but peaceful tactics does more harm than good and only serves to add support to their cause
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
bigbaggy
Earning My Ears

[QUOTE=YorkshireT;14129775]40% of UK electricity is now renewable- mainly wind farm. That has to be a lot better than burning fossil fuel. I reckon in 10 years we will be almost 100% renewable for electricity.
Yes the lithium ion etc causes pollution on mining, but even with fossil fuel powered electricity, the electric car has been assessed as giving out half the emissions of a petrol car, in very credible studies, this is over lifespan including manufacture.
However, it's unlikely many Tesla batteries will end up in landfill- they are too valuable for rare metals etc even when spent (and no one has degraded one much yet, cars in US with 250k miles on have degraded 10% ish) and Tesla will also fit them in their powerwall systems which they sell, which have solar panels and basically store up electricity for your house.[/QUOTE

this is fake news sorry no way in 10 yrs will we be anyway near 100% renewable energy.
bigbaggy is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by bigbaggy View Post
this is fake news sorry no way in 10 yrs will we be anyway near 100% renewable energy.
Its not fake news, its an opinion
Old 17 Oct 19, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
bigbaggy
Earning My Ears

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
The rate of adaptation of renewables is much faster already than anyone ever envisaged. Just the other day I was reading it's now thought major reliance on fossil fuel will end much earlier than anticipated, less than a decade ago. The wind farms in particular have become very efficient. Supply will meet demand. They'll just build more.
Who should be worried? The Saudis etc, their days of making massive sums off oil will shortly be numbered.
what a great idea just destroy the countryside with big windmills
as someone who lives near a very large windfarm I can assure you
there is a massive impact on the local wildlife here
I can't really see this as progress I agree the air might be cleaner
but at what cost to all the wildlife. we might save a few polar bears
but to be honest I don't see them where I live
anyway good luck
bigbaggy is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bigbaggy View Post
what a great idea just destroy the countryside with big windmills
as someone who lives near a very large windfarm I can assure you
there is a massive impact on the local wildlife here
I can't really see this as progress I agree the air might be cleaner
but at what cost to all the wildlife. we might save a few polar bears
but to be honest I don't see them where I live
anyway good luck
We also live near quite a large wind farm and environmental studies have shown little or no impact on wildlife- including the report by Friends of the Earth. To date the only impact has been about a dozen dozy seagulls that flew into the turbines.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by bernard301 View Post
it doesn't, but wading in with batons GBH'ing people using disruptive but peaceful tactics does more harm than good and only serves to add support to their cause
Peaceful tactics?
Defacing public buildings?
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
Peaceful tactics?
Defacing public buildings?
Relatively minor Criminal damage is hardly a breakdown of the Queen's peace. The protestors aren't throwing metal fences at police, breaking down walls to collect missiles to throw at police they aren't drunk, or preparing for Mass disorder
Old 17 Oct 19, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bernard301 View Post
Relatively minor Criminal damage is hardly a breakdown of the Queen's peace. The protestors aren't throwing metal fences at police, breaking down walls to collect missiles to throw at police they aren't drunk, or preparing for Mass disorder
But a bit of vandalism is fine?
I wonder if it would be as fine if it was your house that was defaced .
Antisocial behaviour tends to escalate .
On the upside I'm sure this morning's events will have given some parents of teens who fancied a trip to London to join the shenanigans food for thought !
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List