Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Oct 19, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
When I was 15 I said that I'd never have children. I'm now 55 and haven't had children and have never once regretted the decision.
I made that announcement at the age of 12 Andi, my friends mother thought it was hilarious and said I'd have kids, I didn't, and like Scott Walker there's regrets.

Both sis and I are childless by choice. My being born with ovaries and child bearing hips wasn't a pre-requisite to giving birth
Old 17 Oct 19, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

I think it’s good that our children are so concerned about it, and are willing to make significant changes towards slowing down climate change. My DD is 18, and is studying Biology in her first year at university. She is incredibly concerned about climate change and other environmental issues. She doesn’t feel she will have children either. She makes lots of practical changes in her own life, she hates waste, recycles all she can, uses reusable bags even taking her own reusable bags for her fruit and veg at the supermarket and has stopped eating beef. She also encourages us and everyone she knows to make small changes too. Many of the problems caused by climate change have not crossed the boundary of no return yet, and can be reversed as the CFC/ozone layer was. It’s important that we all do what we can, I’m not saying we all need to make huge changes but some simple changes can make a big difference.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
BelfastFly
Getting Excited

Over population is a major concern and has been for 20 years. The amount of couples I know with 4 or 5 kids and act concerned about the environment is hilarious. Sadly, every year I think we are either getting closer to a population disaster or a ban on the number of kids being introduced
BelfastFly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

Genuine question, because I have no idea really but does the MASSIVE increase in electronics / all the new modern tech have a big impact on climate change?

How big an impact do cars really have? Was it China that put restrictions on how many children they could have, 1 or 2 child(ren) per couple I think it was (not sure if it's still in place) but if china can do that for humans, if cars are having such a massive impact maybe they should do it worldwide for cars per household

Plastic bags - why don't they just stop making & selling them, don't charge for them (as people just accept that now and buy them anyway) but why not only do paper (like the American supermarkets USED to have) or the fabric bag for life ones? Same with other non essential plastics, straws (although I know they are a focus and only contribute to something like 0.005% of the plastic issue! ), all the plastic packaging that is so needlessly used in food produce, wrapping clothes in etc etc

I don't know what else can be done or what is even feasible to be done but I do think a lot of governments are reluctant to ban things / implement change due to £££££ lost either on a government or personal level! I think money drives it all to be honest but I think you need to start at the top (the companies!) and filter down, not at the bottom (the every day house hold) and filter up as it's like swimming up stream! It's ok joe bloggs at Number 14 not buying plastic bags and recycling where they can but when john smith at number 18 orders 27 pairs of jeans to try and each one comes in a plastic bag, then he returns all pairs and they get repacked in the factory in to new fresh plastic bags etc he doesn't care but if the company stopped doing that, he still wouldn't care BUT plastic waste would be reduced!
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
BelfastFly
Getting Excited

OLS - good ideas but i think you'll find people will go to war if you try and limit how many cars each household has, where they can park them and when they can usr them.
BelfastFly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
When I was 15 I said that I'd never have children. I'm now 55 and haven't had children and have never once regretted the decision.
But it entirely depends on a person's reasons. Not having kids because you don't want them is a completely different thing to not having kids because you care enough about their future that despite wanting them you decide not to have any
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
The individual can not make a difference by recycling, using less, changing from plastic etc. I do all these things but then I always have done I haven't changed my habits since climate change became such a 'thing' - I just dislike waste anyway.
Even if the UK decides to take drastic measures it won't help while the USA, South America and China refuse to do the same
Even if the whole world agrees to take drastic measures now it can't be stopped, only slowed.
Eventually humanity will become extinct anyway due to some major natural disaster. Another asteroid impact, probably. In the general scheme of the planet humanity is insignificant.
Remember we're trying to combat climate change to suit humanity. Not to 'save the planet', the planet's going to be fine with it
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post

Maybe off subject or just touching on it slightly. On a recent trip to Florida and Walmat in particular it annoyed me that everything was put in plastic bags, sometimes just a box of eggs in 1 bag and milk and juice was put in 2 bags doubled up. Times that by 4 or 5 trips there during our stay is a lot of bags. We tried to take them back to reuse them but the cashier said dont bother. It is just a waste.

Also everyone seemed to have gas guzzling trucks with boats with 2 or 3 motors on the back. I know fuel is cheap there but it is just amazed me what a waste.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by aitchieaitchie View Post
Maybe off subject or just touching on it slightly. On a recent trip to Florida and Walmat in particular it annoyed me that everything was put in plastic bags, sometimes just a box of eggs in 1 bag and milk and juice was put in 2 bags doubled up. Times that by 4 or 5 trips there during our stay is a lot of bags. We tried to take them back to reuse them but the cashier said dont bother. It is just a waste.

Also everyone seemed to have gas guzzling trucks with boats with 2 or 3 motors on the back. I know fuel is cheap there but it is just amazed me what a waste.
Yes we had the same, although one day in Target I jokingly said to the girl on the till as she was packing my bags that she was spoiling us as we don’t get them packed for us in the UK and she said she wished they didn’t allow free bags like in the UK because of the environment. I was heartened that someone out there had concerns (I know there are people, you just don’t see much evidence of it)
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I bring all my Walmart bags home and use them as rubbish sacks.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List