Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 29 Aug 19, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Flojo224
VIP Dibber

Flojo224's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Need new laptop - advice please?

Our DS starts secondary school next week and we desperately need a new laptop, problem is I have no idea what to look for in the spec

I’ve brought two over the past few years - both of which the shop has told me would be good for home use - first one is completely useless and I can no longer do updates as not enough memory - second one is a bit better but so slow and unresponsive.

Happy to spend about £500 - does anyone have any recommendations please or know what spec I need as minimum?

I’ve also looked at refurbished Apple MacBooks as we are definitely an Apple family - can get a 2015 model for around £500 (seems very expensive for something 4 years old but are they worth it)

Thanks

2000, 2002, 2003/4, 2011 - Villa
2005 - Disneyland Paris
2007 - Disneyland, California
2014 - Cumbrian Lakes Villa
2017 - Orlando Dream Villa, Lindfields
2018 - No Disney Parks trip
2020 - Let’s do all the parks again - the trip that never was 😔
2022 - Miami & The Parks
2024 - Bahama’s Mini Cruise, Universal & lots of Halloween
Flojo224 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
tink111
Apprentice Imagineer

tink111's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

I am 100% an Apple Mac lover! I’ve had mine for about 3 years now and it’s still just as good... all PC’s id had before hand been pretty average and always broke , although I never spent more than £300 on one! Personally I’d consider the Mac book
tink111 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

It really depends what you need to do on it. IMO a MacBook is way overkill for a lot of people, however if your son is looking at wanting to do vidoe editing/graphic type stuff a MacBook would be a great option.
For normal use of internet surfing and Microsoft office use a basic windows laptop will do the job, and you can’t go wrong with a refurbished Lenovo think pad (you can usually pick one up that’s couple years old for a couple hundred on eBay) I don’t know the upto date models these days as to be honest i have a refurbished think pad for my Microsoft office, the odd internet browse (though I internet on my iPad mainly) and a few games (sims 2/3 and 2 point hospital)
My friend has a MacBook Pro of that era your looking at, she used to do video and photo editing and it was great for that, but she uses her other half’s pc for any gaming because it just doesn’t cope well (it gets very hot too).
I may have confused you more here...
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Unlikely the secondary school unless private will use macbooks so better to stick with either Windows or Chromebook (as many schools now use Google workplace).

For a Windows PC look for something with an Intel i5 processor, 8gb ram and at least a 500gb hard drive (either solid state or hybrid). HP Dell and Lenovo are good brands.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Unlikely the secondary school unless private will use macbooks so better to stick with either Windows or Chromebook (as many schools now use Google workplace).
Eh? What do you think a MacBook won't be able to do that a Windows or Chromebook could do?

I bought my daughter a MacBook Air for school and she used it without issue. Most stuff (such as Workplace) is online so a browser is all that is required.

She did need to use MS Office apps for a couple of subjects, so I just bought an Office 365 family subscription. Although I do most of my work in Google Docs, there is the odd occasion where someone requests a .xls or similar from me, so I use the Office suite myself, which runs perfectly on a Mac.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Depends on the subjects as to what software they may use. Also familiarity with using the same system can make it easier.

No need for the defensive.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Flojo224
VIP Dibber

Flojo224's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Thanks for the advice everyone

2000, 2002, 2003/4, 2011 - Villa
2005 - Disneyland Paris
2007 - Disneyland, California
2014 - Cumbrian Lakes Villa
2017 - Orlando Dream Villa, Lindfields
2018 - No Disney Parks trip
2020 - Let’s do all the parks again - the trip that never was 😔
2022 - Miami & The Parks
2024 - Bahama’s Mini Cruise, Universal & lots of Halloween
Flojo224 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List