Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Sep 19, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Gally1968
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Alternatively does having so much apparent knowledge of how Disney/Universal/Orlando etc works put visitors under too much pressure to make sure they squeeze everything in, which in turn makes the actual enjoyment a struggle ?

I know plenty of people who have visited Orlando without any great prior investigation but still had the ‘best holiday ever’.

It’s without doubt the Dibb has been, and will continue to be, of great benefit to visitors but I do sometimes think we pressurise ourselves unnecessarily into ensuring everything is planned to within an inch of its life!
Old 20 Sep 19, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Jankz33
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gally1968 View Post
Alternatively does having so much apparent knowledge of how Disney/Universal/Orlando etc works put visitors under too much pressure to make sure they squeeze everything in, which in turn makes the actual enjoyment a struggle ?

I know plenty of people who have visited Orlando without any great prior investigation but still had the ‘best holiday ever’.

It’s without doubt the Dibb has been, and will continue to be, of great benefit to visitors but I do sometimes think we pressurise ourselves unnecessarily into ensuring everything is planned to within an inch of its life!
Planning is all part of the fun and excitement for many!
Jankz33 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
geniefan
Excited about Disney

I have been going to WDW since 94. In November will be my god knows how many times trip lol, but my first one solo.

I have a friend that has only been once, in 2005, so yes thousands of things have changed, but she insists on calling the DDP 'all inclusive', and it drives me mad! No amount of me telling her what its really like does no good. She will happily make unknind comments about WDW saying its like a German holiday resort that serves just burgers and chips!

These days, I try not to engage in a Disney conversation with her because I just don't get anywhere!
Old 20 Sep 19, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

I don't buy the whole "WDW is a special case, requires a lot more knowledge and savvy to have a decent trip" argument tbh. If you go ANYWHERE you need to do your research - at least a little bit. Tripadvisor things to do, hotel reviews, google maps, anything! It just boggles me that people spend upwards of £5k+ on a holiday with little to no research.

If someone bought a new car and complained about it as they couldn't be bothered to look at more than a nice picture of the outside of it and didn't test drive it, they'd be rightly criticised. Yet, with holidays it's apparently ok to book somewhere with no research and whinge about it afterwards. I mean, a quick 1 hour look at google earth will give you a basic knowledge of the geography of Orlando and the relative distances involved. A few well chosen youtube vids will give you a basic understanding of things - maybe 1 hours worth? Doesn't seem hard to do. Look at a brochure, any hotels you like google "*hotel name* tour." Boom, sorted.

I have 0 sympathy for people who can't be bothered to do the legwork and get burned on a holiday. If you were decieved or fraudulently sold something, fine you get my sympathy. But just because you didn't look at a map or read any reviews, you want to write an entire destination off and call it a ripoff. Nope - not happening.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR
Squidgyness is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie4Mickey
Imagineer

Originally Posted by folkie View Post
I don’t see any reason why they couldn’t have bought the two week UK tickets while they were out there, from someone who sells them as e-tickets. Or was it too late by the time you knew?
it was too late, money wise. They couldn't afford it as that's what I suggested. I don't think they were expecting the tickets to be that expensive, I guess if you know beforehand you can budget that cost in to the holiday.

Instagram: kimberlys_journeyy
Youtube: Kimberly's Journey
Orlando 16 - Food Report
We got engaged trip 19 - Food Report
Minnie4Mickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Jankz33
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
I don't buy the whole "WDW is a special case, requires a lot more knowledge and savvy to have a decent trip" argument tbh. If you go ANYWHERE you need to do your research - at least a little bit. Tripadvisor things to do, hotel reviews, google maps, anything! It just boggles me that people spend upwards of £5k+ on a holiday with little to no research.

If someone bought a new car and complained about it as they couldn't be bothered to look at more than a nice picture of the outside of it and didn't test drive it, they'd be rightly criticised. Yet, with holidays it's apparently ok to book somewhere with no research and whinge about it afterwards. I mean, a quick 1 hour look at google earth will give you a basic knowledge of the geography of Orlando and the relative distances involved. A few well chosen youtube vids will give you a basic understanding of things - maybe 1 hours worth? Doesn't seem hard to do. Look at a brochure, any hotels you like google "*hotel name* tour." Boom, sorted.

I have 0 sympathy for people who can't be bothered to do the legwork and get burned on a holiday. If you were decieved or fraudulently sold something, fine you get my sympathy. But just because you didn't look at a map or read any reviews, you want to write an entire destination off and call it a ripoff. Nope - not happening.
I completely agree with this!
Jankz33 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
TerryYa
Excited about Disney

Mobile

As we checked in at OKW and American family were checking in next to us. The guy on reception asked if they needed any tickets and they said, "yes we need some for Universal Studios".

The guy had to explain that this was a Disney hotel and Universal was a separate company. They were a little bit put out but that was nothing compared to when he said no there wasn't a bus from OKW to Universal and they'd have to get a 30 min Uber!
TerryYa is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
OllieT
Imagineer

OllieT's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Joshie1 View Post
I saw that post, rolled my eyes and came out of it. I think people are fed up with me recommending the Dibb on there
I do it all the time there too 🤣