Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Sep 19, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Report on Hi Fly (Norwegian) and VIP Thrills Tour

We flew back this morning after spending 8 days or so at WDW and a short Disney cruise.

We flew with Norwegian but had a plane operated by Hi Fly. First thing was that the crew were very friendly and welcoming. We took off some 45 mins late and after take off, the seat belt sign went off really quick but the announcements were made to sit down and keep seat belts on.
There was no IFE until after the first meal service, so about an hour before you could watch films.

Strangest thing was that the crew didn’t seem to have any ‘flow’ to their processes. They walked through economy asking about drinks, but they were paid for drinks (we had paid for meals/seats etc) but had to wait until the meal service to actually get a free drink.
The meals were pretty standard fare for airlines, but i would definitely buy yourself a Meal Deal somewhere if you are at all fussy as it was on the poor side of standard.

Seats were as you’d expect in economy and as we were in row 50 (exit row) we had plenty of space. The toilets were in front of us, but on an outbound flight, we’re not bothered about that.

There were 12 films to choose from including 1 suitable for children and 4 TV shows (none for children). Photos at the end of this report show the choices. We had the same choices on both the outbound and inbound.

So, prior to this flight, I had read on here that Hi Fly do not offer a PE cabin, just Econ and Business with a lay flat bed. Once I’d researched what plane we’d be on, I upgraded us and was very pleased to have a lay flat bed on the way home.

Points to note: IFE starts immediately in this cabin, but then restarts once the first meal service has been done. We were offered half cups of fizz, water or OJ before take off.
Food and drink service was just weird - they took orders from each set of two seats, then brought out the orders one at a time .. no trolley, just a lady carrying one box of food at a time. Strange. My food was terrible (pre-ordered veggie), but Mick loved the beef (his first choice would have been chicken but after 10 people, they’d run out).

Having the lay flat bed should have been great, but we had a ton of turbulence which unfortunately kept me awake for most of the flight. Not the airlines fault, but they kept having to make announcements to the stupid people who ignored the seatbelt signs .. grrrrr.
We got a nice quilted blanket but no pillow which was really odd, wished I’d brought one with me for sure. In economy, you have to buy a fleece type blanket - be aware.

They couldn’t figure out which light switch did which, so at various points on our flight home, we’d have all lights on then all lights off quickly. Not good.
Woken 90 mins before we were due to land for breakfast, same strange service and even stranger, they turned the lights out again afterwards!

It was as if the crew were all in training and hadn’t been given instructions. They were perfectly polite but their processes were ‘off’. We had a safety announcement and demo while taxi-ing to the runway and also just before landing!

All in all, we got there and back safely with no issues (despite the horrible turbulence on the way back). Upgrading to PE was defo worth it but do take a pillow with you.
Food was less than stellar so I’d take your own unless you’re a dustbin like my husband!

Highs from the WDW bit of our break were staying at Boardwalk. We’ve waitlisted on this property 3 times (through DVC) but never been able to get it. This time, we got 2 nights before our cruise and we loved it there.
After the cruise we stayed at Boulder Ridge, part of Wilderness Lodge - wouldn’t be our first choice next time but really nice looking place.

Parks were ok for crowds, nothing over an hour wait including The Star Wars one.
We did the VIP Thrills Tour on one day which had us visiting 3 parks and going on 11 rides in about 6 hours. The tour guides were great, we used the FP line for some rides, but the backstage entry points for others which was cool (no photos allowed). Our lanyards had VIP Tour on them and it was quite funny to see people trying to figure out why we were VIPs - should just tell them that if you bankrupt yourself for that tour, you too can be a VIP!
If you’re short of time and want to ride a lot of the ‘big ones’, then this tour is the way to go. We rode: 7DMT, SpaM, SpM, BTMR, HM then Epcot for lunch (included) and Soarin, then into HS for TSM, SDD, ToT, RnRC and ST.

The cruise part of our break was great - we had splurged and gone concierge with some friends. Spent all of our time in the concierge lounge really (5 hours of open bar per day), but we really wanted to see the newest show Beauty and the Beast. It was epic, the best one we’ve seen on any Disney ship.
3 nights is always too rushed for a cruise, but our purpose was to meet friends and watch BatB so it was fine.
We were just the second cruise to allow guests off to visit Castaway Cay (Disney’s private island) since Hurricane Dorian has wreaked havoc on it and neighbouring islands. We were warned that no excursions would be running due to the staff who run them being from the Abaco islands 20 miles away. Lots of these people have lost not only their homes and belongings, but hundreds have died so we had no complaints at all. Castaway had been ‘burnt’ by the salt water and wind, but essentially, it could be mended. 3 Disney ships prior to our cruise had been dropping off relief supplies (on to tender boats) to be taken to Abaco and we were very happy to see that we dropped off generators and huge pallets of bottled water cases too. Keep these people in your thoughts - their island has been flattened.

One low from the trip was the queues at both Character Warehouse locations - 45 min wait for the Vineland one and 15 min for the IDrive one. This was just 15 mins after opening and was just the queue to get in - you then queued longer for paying of course.

Topping off our break was meeting up with Gizmo (Sarah) and taking her up the Top of the World Lounge to watch the MK fireworks, then meeting another lovely Dibber hipthehippo (Sam) with her daughter Shire for a drink at Oga’s Cantina. Very expensive but worth doing once for sure (limited to 2 drinks per person and a 45 min stay (our bill for 4 drinks was $75 which included an 18% tip).

Anyway, we’re back and it’s as if we’ve never been away!

Hope the Hi Fly report helps people.
Joa

Outbound seat

Inbound seat

Oga’s Cantina crew

Films/TV on Hi Fly

Edited at 09:34 PM.
Bats is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

Thanks for the report. Sounds like you had a blast. Your flight does sound a bit weird. Perhaps they were all new staff and not had a lot of experience. The VIP thrills tour sounds good. How much was it per person?
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Great report, especially the cruise part! 🥰

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Mobile

Originally Posted by Loobylou_82 View Post
Thanks for the report. Sounds like you had a blast. Your flight does sound a bit weird. Perhaps they were all new staff and not had a lot of experience. The VIP thrills tour sounds good. How much was it per person?
It worked out to be £250 each with DVC discount. A lot of money for 6 hours but definitely worth it for us
Old 21 Sep 19, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
hollijain
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

I was on the same flight yesterday morning and I’m glad it wasn’t just me who found it a bit strange! The turbulence was terrible coming back and the couple who decided to get up to go to the toilet as we were banking to land! earned a well deserved telling off from the crew.

I’d fly with them again if the price was right, not awful but not the best experience ever. Sounds like you had a great trip though 😊
hollijain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Joa. A great report and sounds like you had a really nice time. Well done

I spotted on the News whilst there that Disney were taking food etc to Abaco, that's a nice gesture. I have never seen devastation like it.

As an aside what transport do they use to take you between Parks on the VIP tour please? I assume a small van or coach?

You are at least the 3rd person plus me who has posted on here recently about the lines to get in and also inside the Disney Outlet shops. Most weird. They always used to be busy but this is the first year I have seen lines outside.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
allycat228
Apprentice Imagineer

Sounds like you had a great time, that VIP tour while expensive sounds like a great idea if your short on time

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Joa. A great report and sounds like you had a really nice time. Well done

I spotted on the News whilst there that Disney were taking food etc to Abaco, that's a nice gesture. I have never seen devastation like it.

As an aside what transport do they use to take you between Parks on the VIP tour please? I assume a small van or coach?

You are at least the 3rd person plus me who has posted on here recently about the lines to get in and also inside the Disney Outlet shops. Most weird. They always used to be busy but this is the first year I have seen lines outside.
I think a lot of it is the buyers, the ones who buy 4-5 of the same items to sell on
allycat228 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 12:21 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Some excellent info Joa and delighted you had such a good trip and cruise. The devastation of Abaco and the many islands of the Bahamas seems to be yesterday's news yet there is so much needing to be done and reports of progress not top of the news list - good to hear how DCL are helping the operation.

Flight crew on Hi- Fly seem a bit odd All of the points you have raised are noted , just in case we ever need to fly one of their planes.

Thanks for all the pics and the advice

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 12:54 AM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

We were on this flight, couldn't upgrade for flight home, and fullest norwegian flight we have been on, full of Americans in cattleclass. And so stupid, the turbulance on the route home was terrible and the Americans still wanted to wander around the cabins even tho they were told, politely to sit, they were also nearly all doing adjoining flights that they were late for, and some how that was the crews fault, one of the stewards was telling us.
We dont do the food we take our own on. But yes there food times are always odd, and i have never had a safety breifing before we land, that was a little un-nerving after that turbulance.
All the crew were portugese and were working one more flight home.

Edited at 12:56 AM.
colin39 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List