Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Sep 19, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
scousepete37
Trainee Dibber

Indirect via Atlanta

Good Evening all.

We are flying from Heathrow to Orlando via Atlanta. The layover is 2hrs 21 and just wanted to know from people's experience if that is long enough. I know that there are plenty of things that can happen to make timings tight and that it is what it is to an extent. Our flight from atlanta to orlando is scheduled to depart at 20.55 local time. I believe if for some reason we missed the flight we would be put on next available flight. can anyone advise how to find out what that would be and also if it was next morning would we be accommodated overnight. I only ask as we are travelling with 7 and 4 year old. I'm not so much worrying but just like to have a plan B in place just in case.

Regards

Peter
scousepete37 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney20152
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Sorry to jump on your thread but I am interested in this too. We are flying from Manchester to Orlando via Atlanta . We have just over 3.5 hours in Atlanta x
Disney20152 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post
CharleyUK
Animal Kingdom Lodge Guest

Atlanta is a very big airport. It has two separate terminals. If you have to swap between the two it can take some time. That would be unusual though. But would say 2.5 hours would be ok. It’s a hub airport so the vast majority are transferring. Been through it a few times. Always found it to be an organised airport.

Chicago however - never again lol. X
Old 20 Sep 19, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
SgtElias
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Hi, we did this route for the first time this year, and I had the same concerns as you, I think we had about 2 hours, this was more than enough time, we had a bit of a wait at the immigration desks, but after that it was plain sailing, dropped the bags off, plenty of staff to help, through security again, then time for a comfort break, coffee and something to eat, as others have said, this is a major transit airport, they have everything off to a fine art, don't worry about it.
SgtElias is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 12:53 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Hi Pete - IMHO you'll likely be fine with enough time to get between terminals. If it helps here are directions, clear immigration, collect luggage and exit that area to the left, you'll walk 100 yards or so, return luggage for your MCO flight, thro security (have your liquids et al., ready). Follow directions (downstairs) to the terminal train for your MCO departure gate.

In Nov 2017 our layover, due to VA departing Man late, left us with circa 90 minutes to clear immigration and make our onward flight to RSW, we were last to board with 5 mins to spare, crew immediately closed the doors and we were taxi-ing before we'd stowed hand luggage and belted in! Last Nov we had about 3 hours, whipped thro Atl immigration and sat around for over 2 hours, this Nov it's 1 hour 50 mins which we're hoping will work ok... fingers crossed
Old 23 Sep 19, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
scousepete37
Trainee Dibber

Just wanted to say thank you for the information and reassurance. It is greatly appreciated. Found out today that our layover has increased by another 20 minutes at Atlanta so makes me feel a bit better
scousepete37 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 19, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
ladyofleisure
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Please do be reassured that whatever happens Atlanta is a good airport with nice facilities and Delta will help. We have flown with no issues and been through immigration in an hour, had something to eat and been on the Delta flight in less than 2 hours. We have been held in immigration for over 2 hours and missed our next flight. However, this was no more than a minor problem we were transferred to the next flight to Orlando (2 hours later) and apart from a slight inconvenience no harm done.

Whatever happens in Atlanta on the day I’d be happy (and I’ve booked via Atlanta for our 2020 flights).

To us the savings (at over 2.5k roughly as there are 5 of us) over flying direct are more than worth it. I’m sure we experienced an extreme at immigration and I’m only mentioning it to reassure you that even if something really extreme happened Delta can and will help you on a Virgin codeshare.

I’ve also travelled via Atlanta on our return to Manchester with a 35 minute layover and landed and been on the next flight in less than 10 minutes (plane was at the next gate). I’ve only got good things as others have said, about Atlanta. Happy planning!

A link to my 2020 trip to Los Angeles:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1161735

A link to my 2017 trip to POR and HRH is show below:
Star Wars, Bar Bores, Car Tours and No Chores!

A link to my 2015 trip to CBR and RPR is shown below:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...me+the +power
ladyofleisure is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List