Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
I'd be very interested to know what policy or company would cover this, under the current circumstances

I mean, OP's trip is scheduled to take place in over 7 months.

So a flight cancellation, with such an advance notice, does not prevent the insured from finding a way to get to their destination

It's not like flight has been cancelled a couple of days prior, or if OP had already been in the US and got their flight home cancelled.
Then it's full on insurance claim

but, here, with over 7 months to go, would any insurance company pay for cancellations when there is still loads of time to get refunded and book elsewhere ... and pay solely on the grounds that the insured fears they won't be able to find a flight in the same price bracket ...

Well, It doesn't hurt to ask, and if you don't ask then you shall never get ...

but, I would not hold too much hope regarding insurance.
A couple of days out, definitely, but more than 7 months out, I'm quite pessimistic.

Cancellation this far out would probably be considered a voluntary move on the part of the insured, and therefore be excluded from the guarantees
I did say, "Finally, try to claim..." - emphasis on "finally" and "try".

However, just because the flights were cancelled 7 months beforehand shouldn't make any difference. The holiday is no longer taking place due to no fault of the customer. In that situation, the tickets cannot be used. Therefore, some insurances (like my own) will allow you to claim for any other expenses that you are now out of pocket for. This only applies if you can't get your money back by some other means though (via the original supplier, via the credit card company, etc). There isn't a time limit regarding how long before the flights are cancelled that this applies - could be 7 months or 7 days. I don't remember seeing a time limit on my insurance, other than it only covers a trip up to 18 months after the insurance was taken out (mine is a single trip insurance).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Owens3116
Trading Disney Pins

Thank you for all your replies so far.

We have managed to cancel accommodation with 100% refund and claimed flights back under section 75.

We’re going to wait for flights to be released for Oct 2020 and see if we can book flights and sort out another accommodation.

If they prices are still 😳 for Oct 2020 then I’m going to contact Disney to see if they will extend the use by date (currently jan 21)
Owens3116 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 19, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
The Wards
Apprentice Imagineer

Its worth trying to speak to disney to cancel. I would do this straight away as you can always buy again if you decide to go at a different time. They are very accommodating and if you explain the circumstances they may refund you. Universal did refund me some etickets a few years ago when my parents were unwell and couldn't come. They said they would do it as they were still in system and hadn't been collected. Another option is to contact the card company you have paid with for advice. They may be able to suggest another way to be refunded. Good luck
Old 29 Sep 19, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
TeeKayDawn
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Owens3116 View Post
Thank you for all your replies so far.

We have managed to cancel accommodation with 100% refund and claimed flights back under section 75.

We’re going to wait for flights to be released for Oct 2020 and see if we can book flights and sort out another accommodation.

If they prices are still 😳 for Oct 2020 then I’m going to contact Disney to see if they will extend the use by date (currently jan 21)
I’ve rebooked my TC package holiday with Charter Travel, they deal in all sorts, package, flight only, fly-drive etc.
They were able to price match my holiday including my PE, and private transfers. Same dates, airports, hotels. Only difference we are now travelling VA.
Drop them an email and see what they can do.
It would also be worth trying Kenwood and if you have a local store Polka Dot. All of these companies seem to be trying to help keep costs like for like for TC customers.
TeeKayDawn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List