Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 10 Sep 19, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
stephiesplodge
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

KSC shuttle launches

How legit is the site spacecoastlaunches.com

I see they state a shuttle for the 1st Oct but no time. Yet they have a time for the December one which the official site doesn’t even show.
How late do they usually leave it to announce launches and times?

I dunno if to switch our visit to the space center for this day instead if the launch is going to happen. But I see nothing changing on any of the sites.

~Disneyland Paris~ August 2007 - Dec 2014
~Hong Kong Disneyland~ August 2017
~Disney Tokyo~ August 2019
stephiesplodge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 19, 04:20 AM  
Link to this Post
ManCity
Helping Minnie

The 'Shuttle' is a specific space vehicle that looks like a plane - it has wings. The last Shuttle launch was in July 2011 - 8 years ago. That Shuttle (Atlantis) is now on display at KSC. The Shuttle programme has finished - there won't be any more. Since 2011, the US has not the capability of manned lauches - only the Russians. All launches at the moment are just ordinary unmanned rocket lauches. Two US companies are developing versions of their cargo modules so they can be used for manned flight - tests are due in the next few months - but they are NOT the shuttle. The launches you've seen mentioned are unmanned.

The web site 'spacecoastlaunches.com' is run by the same people as 'visitspacecoast.com', i.e. the local Brevard County Tourist Board. It is an official tourist office, promoting visits to the area. 'spaceflightnow.com' is run by space geeks/enthusiasts and tends to be more up-to-date and reacts faster to schedule changes. The KSC web site only lists launches when they have been confirmed.

NASA no longer do their own launches - they are contracted out to commercial companies. However the Dec 4 launch is one under contract to NASA themselves, which is why it appears to be firmer. The other rocket launches are commercial ones - NASA have to give approval, but that happens much later.

If you look at 'spaceflightnow', you will see that launches can be scheduled then delayed several times, sometimes over several months. Even when there is a definite date, rather than just pencilled in, there can be technical delays and/or weather delays, for a few days. Launches can be aborted with only 5 minutes to go, if everything is not 100% right. I don't understand how you have seen a launch advertised for Oct 1st - all I can see are two for sometime in Oct. If you want to see a rocket launch then you need to be as flexible as the people doing the launches.
ManCity is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 19, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
fatboytez
Very Serious Dibber

You must mean rocket launches has the shuttles stopped years ago and not sure if the site is with nasa so try nasa site and see what they are saying.
fatboytez is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 19, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stephiesplodge View Post
I see they state a shuttle for the 1st Oct but no time.

the site says "october 2019" not Oct 1st
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 19, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
stephiesplodge
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

The site I quoted says the 1st, I never stated the official site.

~Disneyland Paris~ August 2007 - Dec 2014
~Hong Kong Disneyland~ August 2017
~Disney Tokyo~ August 2019
stephiesplodge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 19, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Siff
Chilling at Carribean Beach

Mobile

These launch schedules change quite a lot depending on weather etc.
Siff is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 12:12 AM  
Link to this Post
f1girly
Imagineer

Like literally at the last moment tbh
f1girly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List