Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 14 Jun 19, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

Sky Internet - recognise password in one room but not another!

A really really odd thing has happened and I can't figure it out (Sky is in DH's account and he's out for the next few hours so I can't ring them yet and I think the broadband people will be closed by the time he is home!)

Anyway, internet kept dropping out in the playroom for my son (room only across from the main room where the internet was fine) he said it kept asking for the wireless password on his phone and saying it was incorrect and his Xbox wouldn't connect at all - we have long standing issues with the connectivity so I thought it was that. I did the usual speed test, followed the instruction, unplugged router etc and finally re-set it. It's all connected back up and if we are sat in the front room where the main router is, we can select the network and enter the password and it works, go in to the playroom and the xbox says it's the incorrect password, the phones drop off the network and say incorrect password and then if you walk back in the front room the password works again!

What is going on?

Set up is Sky Q Router & Main box in living room, then in the hall (which separates the living room and playroom) there is a booster (as the new sky q wifi signal wouldn't get get across even though the old one was fine) and then in the playroom on the shelf above the xbox is a sky Q mini - I was under the impression the sky q mini should boost the signal as well but it doesn't seem to! Anyway that's by the by... I have reset the booster box as well just incase and re-connected that to the router (via the wps button) and so the "connected" green light is on, on both the router and the booster.

I have just sent DD upstairs to check her iPad and she is online upstairs, so I came in the dining room and I stay connected, it is if I am stood anywhere near the booster (i.e in the hall) or the playroom that it doesn't seem to recognise the password... what the heck is going on? Anyone any ideas before my poor DS looses his mind (one of the only nights he has had his friend come round to play on the xbox with him and they are having to just mess about in offline mode )
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

It sounds like there's another network nearby and your devices might be trying to connect to that one.

Reset the hub by holding the reset button on the hub in for 5 seconds then pull the power cable (blue) out for 10 seconds . Reconnect and try again once all the lights are fully on. Then do the same with the booster if needed.

If that doesn't resolve change the channel on the hub . I'm guessing you know how to do that if you've had connection issues before.

Re the post below , all BB suppliers use the same wireless band so may not be Sky , check the network name and numbers and letters the device is connected to.

Sky BB tech is open til 11pm tonight, if you know his password you can ring.

Edited at 09:09 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
oeamon
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

You not next door to someone with sky broadband too and your picking up their signal- check the WiFi name is the same. Other than that. Turn of the booster in case it’s got a separate password ...
oeamon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

Thanks for your replies guys!

In the playroom it does pick up a different SKY router as well (must be a neighbour) but I was definitely selecting our name on the xbox, and the phones were automatically selecting our right network but just saying the password was incorrect in the playroom - very odd.

I followed your advice Dutchy and re-set & unplugged both the router and the booster and re-set them back up and re-linked them with the WPS and this seems to have done the trick, DS has managed to connect the xbox with the same password and my phone has stopped dropping out when in that room so whatever it was is sorted now!

I still need to ring them as when I test my connection it says 35mbps but they can improve my speed, I follow the steps and it says it's still 35mbps so I need to ring up to sort the connection, it quite often drops to around 13mbs on a regular basis which means the xbox doesn't work very well and I get yells from the play room "ohhh myyy gooooddd its soooooo laggy" never had an issue on the old router on the old sky, only on the Q!

I've changed the channel before but it made no difference - but I will change it again now as re-setting the box will have re-set it back won't it? Any suggestion on channel to select Dutchy?

Thanks again for your help!

Edited at 08:54 PM.
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Try 11 if that's no good 3
Five second reset shouldn't send it back to auto tho , it's a bit longer to send it all back to factory settings .
It's entirely possible as the on line diagnostics are picking it up it may be slow coming into the house rather than the wifi. Check the speed coming into the hub by going onto the Maintainance tab on the router settings page and see what downstream says under the modem section.

Edited at 09:08 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Try 11 if that's no good 3
Five second reset shouldn't send it back to auto tho , it's a bit longer to send it all back to factory settings .
It's entirely possible as the on line diagnostics are picking it up it may be slow coming into the house rather than the wifi. Check the speed coming into the hub by going onto the Maintainance tab on the router settings page and see what downstream says under the modem section.
I might have done it for longer than 5 seconds the first time

Tried both & they seem the same (speed test wise!) so left it on 3 for now. Although it's dropped down to 22mbps on all channels now & no one is even on the internet except for me!

This is what says under maintenance (if you can make sense of that )

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed (Kbps) 34998 9995
Line Attenuation (dB) DS1:15.9 DS2:37.1 DS3:58.7 US0:2.0 US1:30.1 US2:45.0
Noise Margin (dB) DS1:11.3 DS2:11.3 DS3:11.3 US0:6.7 US1:7.2 US2:6.3

Edited at 10:18 PM.