Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 6 Jul 19, 06:52 AM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile GoPro. Which one?

I've decided to look for a GoPro and quite frankly have no idea what to get!

I've been looking at the hero7 range and obviously the black sticks out with a lot of extra features such as stabilisation. However it's price point also screams out!

I've considered the possibility of getting a waterproof gimble and a hero 7 silver which will come in at around the same price but without being able to directly compare the two in the flesh I'm at a loss.

Any ideas?
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 07:11 AM  
Link to this Post
malt1977
Apprentice Imagineer

I’ve watched a lot of mountain biking vids that have either been filmed on and earlier GoPro with a wearable gimbal or the Hero 7, from this I can see that the hero 7 has come a long way in terms of stabilization compared to my hero 5.

The general consensus is the the 7 is vastly better than its predecessors, but for real silky smooth footage, a gimbal wins every time...however, that is for mountain biking.

If I were I your position, I’d personally go for the 7, it’ll be plenty good enough for most situations.
malt1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

We bought a Go Pro recently and made the decision to go for a hero 7 black. I took lots of footage whilst OH was driving, some of it on a 4x4 course, and the clarity is amazing with great stabilisation. There are so many features we have yet to discover, but so far we’re really pleased with it.
Old 6 Jul 19, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

we bought the black hero 7 recently too. Managed to get 20% student discount through unidays which was good!
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

I will try and reply in detail later but suffice to say I have upgraded to a hero 7 from a hero 6 and it was worth it IMHO. When I can get my backside in gear I will be selling the parts of the hero 6 set up that I dont think I need any more - such as the gymbal and spare batteries (I've bought a cage with a high capacity battery in it which gives about 6 hours of recording time in 4k mode.

If you are new to the gopro world please please make sure you understand the battery consumption.

And please please please buy approved memory cards especially if going for the hero 7 - I bought a 400gb card thinking bigger is better and the camera was unusable - it kept locking up for no reason. I then bought 3x128gb cards from the approved listed and it is far better (not had one crash yet)

The stabilisation on the hero 7 is way way better than the hero 6 (you can see samples on line)

Sorry- more detail than I anticipated for the first reply.

Edited at 10:06 AM.
BucksBugsy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
I will try and reply in detail later but suffice to say I have upgraded to a hero 7 from a hero 6 and it was worth it IMHO. When I can get my backside in gear I will be selling the parts of the hero 6 set up that I dont think I need any more - such as the gymbal and spare batteries (I've bought a cage with a high capacity battery in it which gives about 6 hours of recording time in 4k mode.

If you are new to the gopro world please please make sure you understand the battery consumption.

And please please please buy approved memory cards especially if going for the hero 7 - I bought a 400gb card thinking bigger is better and the camera was unusable - it kept locking up for no reason. I then bought 3x128gb cards from the approved listed and it is far better (not had one crash yet)

The stabilisation on the hero 7 is way way better than the hero 6 (you can see samples on line)

Sorry- more detail than I anticipated for the first reply.
That's great thanks, it'd be good to see the difference between hero 7 black and hero 6 with stabilisation

As for the SD cards I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for there!
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by bernard301 View Post
That's great thanks, it'd be good to see the difference between hero 7 black and hero 6 with stabilisation

As for the SD cards I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for there!
I believe in only buying decent memory cards but the hero 7 seems to be very picky
Old 7 Jul 19, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post
malt1977
Apprentice Imagineer

I agree on the card issue, always buy from reputable brands. If buying cards from amazon or eBay, take care again and make sure it’s not fake...I’ve fallen foul of that one before.

I can’t vouch for eBay, but if buying from amazon, make sure it’s supplied by and delivered buy amazon as they have much more control over what’s being sold.
malt1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by malt1977 View Post
I agree on the card issue, always buy from reputable brands. If buying cards from amazon or eBay, take care again and make sure it’s not fake...I’ve fallen foul of that one before.

I can’t vouch for eBay, but if buying from amazon, make sure it’s supplied by and delivered buy amazon as they have much more control over what’s being sold.
I bought 3 samsung evo 128 GB cards from amazon the other day and so far have had no issues with the hero 7. But I havent really hammered them in real life.
Old 12 Jul 19, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Well I bit the bullet and managed to pick up a gopro hero 7 Black with 2 extra GoPro batteries and a 128gb microsd for just shy of £300 on ebay and a Feiyutech WG2 gimble for £75. Just waiting for the gimble to come through but now need to get used to the camera itself