Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 9 Sep 19, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

The problem with Star Wars is it's one ride is average at best, it's mainly an overpriced shopping experience, Disney fans are not necessarily Star Wars fans and for Star Wars fans it is not classic Star Wars.
All this adds up to an underwhelming reception for the new land.
Fortunately for Disney, Rise of the Resistance will likely be so amazing, it will do a 'Flights of Passage' on the land and pack them in.
Old 9 Sep 19, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
The problem with Star Wars is it's one ride is average at best
According to some. I've seen reviews with some people loving it, some saying meh. By the same account, I've seen lots of posts on the Dibb saying Flight of Passage is overrated. I disagree of course!

I do agree that Rise of the Resistance sounds amazing, but even if it is, you'll have lots of people saying it's crap because it's not a rollercoaster, or because there's no Luke/Leia/Han/Vader/TakeYourPick in it.
YLL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 19, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
The problem with Star Wars is it's one ride is average at best,
I do get the impression that Smuggler's Run is a bit like Na'Vi River Journey in that, although it's certainly not a bad ride, it's not a great ride either. The thing is, right from the start it looked like Rise of the Resistance was going to be the headliner, E-ticket ride whereas Smuggler's Run was very much a second place, D-ticket ride (at best). I did think at the time that people were perhaps expecting a little too much from what appeared to be a small simulator ride with some interactive elements to it.

All this adds up to an underwhelming reception for the new land.
Clearly you watch different YouTube videos to me. Most of the reviews and videos I've seen online have generally been overwhelmingly positive. Admittedly, some of that is down to vloggers' usual "overreaction" to things. In addition, Disney seems to be selling out of lots of merchandise. I see they've raised prices over in California for some of the merch because demand was higher than expected. Yes, it's a themed shopping experience and people do seem to be happy to buy this stuff (there have been lots of post here on the DIBB about the lightsabers, for example).

You are right that it's not as stupidly busy as most people expected it to be. And, based on Disney's response to the one at Disneyland, it's not as popular as they expected (hoped?) it to be either.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 19, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by YLL View Post
According to some. I've seen reviews with some people loving it, some saying meh. By the same account, I've seen lots of posts on the Dibb saying Flight of Passage is overrated. I disagree of course!

One of the things I've learnt from my many years on the internet is that people like to moan. And also that just because 100s of people express their dislike (or like) of something online, it doesn't mean that that's the majority view.

Based on some comments you get here on the DIBB, you'd sometimes think that the Disney parks weren't very popular.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Fifimouse
Chilling at Carribean Beach

Fifimouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14
That is mad! I guess it hasn't drawn crowds like they expected!

Would have thought queue's would have been crazy. I wonder if a lot of Star wars fans are waiting for the Resistance ride etc to open in December / January before making the trip?

31 days, cannot wait for the break!
Old 17 Sep 19, 04:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Joeyt182
VIP Dibber

Joeyt182's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 7
I was there today and the wait time for Smugglers Run was 50 mins (ToT was 70!). I went in the single rider line and was on the ride within 20 mins. The land is very impressive but the ride is just ok... I personally enjoyed the original Star Tours one more.

When they 1st announced the opening dates I was going to avoid HS this trip thinking Star Wars would make it to crazy. In truth ToT, RnR and Toy Story land were more crazy.

Maybe Disney have over predicated how popular this attraction would be?
Old 17 Sep 19, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Pfgtips60
Gone all Goofy

We went out on 31 August, 2days earlier than planned because of Dorian. We guessed the parks would be empty the first few days as the plane was only 21% full. We came back last Saturday and the parks were empty the whole 2 weeks. We only used DH DAS pass twice the whole time and that was on Smugglers Run and FOP. SR we got to go on immediately, I’m afraid I’m in the camp that didn’t rate it. I was a pilot and spent the most part paranoid I was going to crash the dam thing. Then you have to watch for the lights on your side of the consul as you have to do something, then the computer says left pilot or right pilot to do something. To be honest my mind was a whirl I can’t remember what I had to do. On the other hand the actual Galaxy Edge is amazing the theming is brilliant . We went one morning then again in the evening as we had reservations at Olga’s Cantina... which is amazing. The land in the evening with the lights takes on a tranquil feel. FOP was a 30 min wait both times. The rest of the rides were either walk on or at the most ten mins. On the other hand we went to The Disney Outlet store last Thursday at 10.30 and queued to get in the shop for 1 hr 10 mins! What the heck why the queues it always was a walk in. A lady in the line was saying this was the norm. We then had to wait a further 20 mins to pay for the items I’d bought.
Pfgtips60 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
mattyped
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Smugglers run is the navi river of GE. Wait till RoR opens.
mattyped is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Jimmy Mac
Trainee Dibber

I honestly thought we wouldnt have a chance of getting on this when we go in a couple of weeks.

I wouldnt wait more than an hour for anything (even Star Wars) quite excited now that I might get a go on it.
Jimmy Mac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I agree that Smugglers Run is just ok. The wait time for Slinky was longer yesterday. There seems to be lots of people wandering about, especially near the Millenium Falcon but nowhere near what I thought it would be like. I can’t help think people are waiting for ROTR to open and I think queue times will be mad for that. Hoping they have FP by next year!

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List