Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Sep 19, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Just Back - Some Thoughts And Sad News.

The 3rd trip of 2019 is now complete, and we flew out on the 17th August and were due back on Saturday 14th September. However, we came home early but more about that later.

The trip was as follows: -
Week 1 – 8yr old Granddaughter with us.
Week 2 – Daughter arrives.
Week 3 and 4 just the 2 of us.

We flew out with Virgin in PE and I ‘gifted’ a PE downgrade voucher to our Granddaughter in order to use it up. Thus, she flew both ways totally free.

Her Homework was to have pictures of reading a book at different locations. So, her first one was in the cockpit of the 747 with the Capt. Very nice of him to agree.

The food with Virgin was excellent.
I keep saying their food is getting better every trip, maybe I have jinxed it now!

Immigration was fine albeit we had to join the normal line as we couldn’t use Global Entry due to the Granddaughter being with us. However, when we got to the desk the I.O. said we could have!
Nice comment but he is actually wrong.

We picked up a Ford Edge on Kentucky plates from Alamo. Not very clean but mileage was fairly low. A decent drive but low on windscreen fluid according to the menu. Nearly always something wrong with their cars lately.

Their cars are not of the standard they were a few years ago. I am seeing a steady slide in the basics. Quite sad really.

The first night as always, we stayed in All Stars in order to save our DVC Points. The Resort is fine but with a 3rd person with us both beds were occupied. Not easy for us to share a double bed. Far too small!

The next morning, we headed to SSR, dropped the cases with Bell Services and checked in. This ensured we were in Congress Park which we requested. The room wasn’t ready but nobody can expect that at 10.00am so not an issue.

Headed to Animal Kingdom and then Publix after lunch whilst awaiting the E Mail stating the room was ready.

There followed 5 days of Parks until the Saturday when our Daughter was flying in
5 days! My God we were knackered but the Granddaughter was having a blast. Walking 8+ miles a day and never once moaned about being tired. Just saying ‘come on Bampi more fastpasses’!

The big problem was getting her out of bed in the morning!
She was on the go from 8.00am until bedtime at 10.00pm which is far too late but for a holiday was fine.

It seems she likes a medium Longhorns Flo’s Fillet as she stole mine in Longhorns to supplement her child’s grilled chicken!

The pattern eased off on the 2nd week as our Daughter wanted a chill time. We still did 4 Parks though!

This was very much about letting them do rides together as let’s be brutally honest my Wife and I have probably ridden Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at least 1000 times!

So, lets dip into the dining!

We ate offsite quite a bit. Food was fine and no issues at all with temperatures, quality or cost etc
Disney however was as usual overpriced and poor. The menus have lost their wow factor and have become what I call safe. Nothing out of the ordinary and the restaurants are rarely more than 1/3rd full. Well we know why it’s because those paying are fed up with poor value, indifferent service and boring food.

Sadly, on the Friday of the second week my Wife had that dreaded phone call that her Mother had died unexpectedly. This hit us like an Exocet as we had only spoken to her the day before and she was fine.
Having our Daughter there was a real benefit as she and my Wife were able to hugely support each other whilst I could focus on what we should do and make arrangements with our Son at home so he could link in with other family members.

The next day we dropped both the Daughter and Granddaughter at MCO and they flew home as scheduled.

The problems we then faced was an impending hurricane and BA strike threats. Plus, Virgin were rapidly entering the period when some days only 1 aircraft was scheduled.

A phone call to my Wife’s Sister was made and we advised her we would stay for the next 2 weeks and be home for the funeral which would take that length of time to arrange – how wrong we were!
We carried on with a few Park visits but mostly sunbathing. But it was a very subdued and sad time and really we were just counting down the days until we came home.

Then the bombshell text arrived from said Sister stating the funeral was early and therefore we had to quickly arrange flights. I chose Thomas Cook for one reason only being cost. That got us home on Thursday morning last week and the funeral was on Friday.
A sad end to a holiday but life goes on.

Some thoughts in conclusion: -

Virgin food – excellent. I do like that in both PE and UC you can select your food 3 days before you fly.

SSR – the refurb is coming along apace. Nice job but well overdue. Photos are on the DVC section of this site. I was like a peeping tom creeping up to the windows of the new rooms at 10.00pm to grab photos. I hasten to add they were unoccupied albeit nearly finished.

The Parks. Absolutely dead after the storm skirted Florida. It was quicker to do standby than get more FP’s on the phone! Rode FOP 3 times one day and could get more FP’s for it as well. No need as it was a 10 min wait.

The weather for the first 2 weeks was a tad wetter and for longer than the norm. But Florida weather this year has been strange.

Disney food – this needs a whole page on its own!

We took a Cast Member friend of ours to the Kona Café which he wanted to try.
He asked the server if he could use his 40% discount. She was damned rude to him stating no they don’t participate in the scheme. OK but don’t be rude
He orders a medium done burger. Arrives cold and rare so sent back. Turns up 10 mins later cold and pouring blood! She was uninterested. Plus, our noodle dishes were garbage.

Narcoossee’s. I have never seen so many uninterested middle-aged entitled servers ever. My Wife, Daughter and Granddaughter had decent food. I ordered pork that arrived cold and when I cut it found out it was pure fat. Even the server pulled a face so I said I would try the scallops instead. Some 30 mins later all my family had finished their food and I had sent them out to the deck to see the fireworks. My dinner eventually arrived – scallops gritty. That is a sign of a chef who couldn’t care how he/she cleans them. So, the check arrives with a smile and thank you.
I refused to pay for my meal so she storms off to get Manager approval and returns with a new check. Slams it on the table and storms off. That was because she lost a percentage of her tip as I use the TIW Card. Rude cow!

It comes to something when you are running late so nip into the Pop Century food court at 9.30pm and find a meal for 2 costing $22 in total and on a paper plate that is hotter and tastier than some table service places! Well done to those Chefs.

What has happened to Disney with food?

The saving grace places were The Wave, Ale & Compass and Sanaa. The 2 of us are quite happy sharing food, eating at a high top near the bar and mixing and matching from the bar and restaurant menu. These places are happy to do that. Some not, why?

Thomas Cook. It did what it says on the tin. They got us home. Their seats are the most uncomfortable I have experienced in my life. The padding on the seat back was non-existent.

Is it acceptable for a male cabin crew member every time he walked up and down the plane and not pushing a trolley to constantly say ‘Move’ to everybody in the aisle!
Just wow. I was chatting to some Guy who was as shocked as me and this happened repeatedly. My friend I suggest you find another job as you are a dick.

The flight home we cancelled was a Miles flight with Virgin. I did live chat with them and in 5 mins flat got all our ticket costs and Miles refunded. Cannot fault them.

Those who use these ‘cooling towels’ I assume they are good? I do wish people wouldn’t use the water fountains to get them wet then wring them out over the spout. Disgusting.
Also, I saw people dipping them into the iced water on soda carts. Even worse.

So, what now. Things are getting back to normal as the estate is finalised but my Wife’s Mum was the last Parent left alive. The family keeps shrinking sadly.

In 7 weeks, we return to Florida for the 4th trip of the year. Hopefully it will be less eventful.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 05:11 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

Sad news indeed Mr Morrow. Great trip report though, agree about Narcooses, used to be fabulous and special but now off my list too. Disney food really going downhill too unfortunately. Now off to look at the photos of the refurb at SSR.
Labboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Labboy View Post
Sad news indeed Mr Morrow. Great trip report though, agree about Narcooses, used to be fabulous and special but now off my list too. Disney food really going downhill too unfortunately. Now off to look at the photos of the refurb at SSR.
I have also done a separate thread on the DVC Forum about how bad the rooms currently are pre refurb!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Sorry for your loss.

Old 17 Sep 19, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
belfastbabe
Apprentice Imagineer

belfastbabe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Thank you for this report Mr M which must have been difficult to write. My condolences again to the family, especially your wife on her terrible shock. I'm sure she's thankful to have left everything in your capable hands. I hope by the time of your next trip you will have a happier and more relaxing time.
belfastbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerMom
Apprentice Imagineer

Sorry to hear about your MIL. Condolences to you and your family.
TigerMom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

So sad to hear of your loss. I hope you are all finding comfort in each other at such a sad time. Hoping your next trip puts much deserved smiles back on your faces.
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We’ve only done a few onsite meals but Narccooses was good when went there and Ohana's overpriced and sweet. Bahama Breeze, longhorns, Outback still our favourites.I have no parents now and it sucks, I really want to speak to my mumDh has both of his and I keep telling him how lucky he is. Hope the next trip is much happier xx
Old 17 Sep 19, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
janeywaney
VIP Dibber

janeywaney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Awful for your DW 😕 hope she is coping ok.

We were the same with the food in some places hit and miss throughout Disney this year for us.

Virgin were excellent both ways food included!

Agree with the car hire poor offerings for a high price, we won’t hire a car next time we will Uber or Lyft.

This was the first year in a long time that housekeeping was fab!

Not long until your next visit hopefully you will be enjoy it much better.

Jane

Edited at 06:32 PM.
janeywaney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Welcome back and sorry to hear of your loss. Our only disney meal was lunch at the wave and the server was really nice and funny, and the food was good as well.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List