Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 20 Sep 19, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Cindy2015
Getting Excited

Washington Dulles

Ok so gone and booked it but for just me and dh eeeeek ! 27 April to 13 May 2020! So excited to do this as a couple!
We are flying from Dublin to Washington Dulles and then on to New Orleans.

We’ll spend a few days in NO then drive down the coast.

Has anyone transferred in Dulles ? Stopover is 1hr 44 mins which is tight but we won’t have kids and luggage booked through. We’ll also have done pre-clearance in Dublin. I avoided Atlanta as I knew that would be too tight.

Now off to up date my countdown...

Thanks all
Cindy2015 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Great plans!

Unfortunately I have only flown out of Dulles (and visited the amazing Hazy centre on the edge of the airfield).

The drive from New Orleans should be great. Besides the city itself, things that spring to mind are..

USS Alabama memorial park at Mobile. An amazing sight, even if you just view it as you drive past.

Pensacola Beach, wonderful sands and just behind it, the United States Navy Aviation Museum (huge).

Destin. Beautiful beach in front of the Henderson State Park.

We absolutely love the panhandle area and the Oceanside road that passes through Pensacola and Destin is beautiful.

Happy planning!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
galaxyflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

If you've done preclearance in Dublin you should be fine with 1hr 44. 1h44 would probably have been OK in Atlanta as well. It only becomes a problem with a connection that short when you haven't done preclearance and you would have had to go through immigration and recheck bags.

No experience with there specifically, but we've connected at JFK after having done preclearance and it was nice and easy, you come off the plane back into the gate area and you make your way onto the next gate from there. Bags sent straight through.

Orlando I-Drive April 2010, July 2017
New York and Washington October 2016
New York and Toronto July 2019
galaxyflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
neatfrk
Imagineer

NOLA is a lot of fun! Was just there in May for an anniversary trip.

I have some great (and free) walking tours for the garden district and Lafayette Cemetery.

Message me if you would like me to send them over to you.

Don't spend too much time on Bourbon Street. It's gross. There's so much other stuff to do and see in NOLA.
neatfrk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post
folkie
Loves sailing in the sun!

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 170
Dulles is a great airport for transfers, not too big and very well organised.
A couple of years ago we transferred there on our way to Boston, we only had 1hr 20 mins to change and I was really worried. However despite having to go through immigration (we'd flown from Heathrow) we were at the gate for our next flight 20 minutes after getting off the plane.

So barring unforeseen circumstances, you should be fine!
91 Brittany 92 Scotland 93 France 94 France 95 Dartmouth 96 Moved house 97 Terra Mare (Greece) 98 Swanage 99 Yedi Tepe (Turkey) 00 Canada/Tunisia 01 Ottawa, Antigua/Bitez 02 DLP/Cornwall 03 Antigua/Gower 04 Ottawa/Croatia/Vendee 05 BVI/Hurghada 06 Javelin (Turkey) 07 Perili (Turkey) 08 Orlando 09 Rosas 10 Orlando 11 Les Deux Alpes 12 Morocco 13 Brittany 14 Vassiliki 15 Orlando 16 DLP/New England/Ottawa 17 Ionian
folkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List