Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 31 Jul 09, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by operasingerkat View Post
We're going to London for a few days next week, just staying in the travelodge at Battersea (trying to do it on a budget!). We thought we'd take the boys to the Natural History Museum and the Science Museum, a trip to Hamley's, and part of the Harry Potter walk. Can anyone think of anything else we should do? I had thought of the Tower or the Zoo (never been to the Zoo, so is it worth the money?). Also, can you think of anywhere relatively cheap to eat that we can go at tea time? Places like TGI Fridays are good and I think we might eat there, but need a couple more ideas.
We're off to London on the 10th and I was just wondering what the Harry Potter walk is all about?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 09, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post

Taxis question

Can someone confirm for me whether it will be easy to find a taxi when we come out of the theatre. Our hotel is about 3 miles from the Theatre Royal - but we don't want to catch the tube at that time of night.
Old 1 Aug 09, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by madwife View Post
Can someone confirm for me whether it will be easy to find a taxi when we come out of the theatre. Our hotel is about 3 miles from the Theatre Royal - but we don't want to catch the tube at that time of night.
TBH it varies, sometimes it's easy, sometimes not so easy. Whenever we've got a taxi from a theatre we usually just walk down the street a little and have found it easier to get a taxi that way. You might be best walking (5-10 mins max) to Charing Cross station (mainline) as there is a taxi rank there.
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 09, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post

Thank you Clare - we'll give that a go rather than hang around hoping for one to turn up.
Old 1 Aug 09, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post

i am hoping to book an overnight stay in london for me and my family.
we are a family of 5, and i am hoping to do a bus tour of london and a show...

can anyone recomend a place to stay?
Old 1 Aug 09, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Peter H
VIP Dibber

Clare is right Madwife, but we have practically never had any trouble on a tube in the years we have lived here.

Wishes 38. That is the big question. If it is just overnight you might want to try and chain hotel (Ibis or Ramada Jarvis and the like) and the like. They are generally of decent quality. The Canleigh B and B at Ealing common has been where my parents stay if when they come down together as we have only a single bed spare room.

DLP: day trips 2000, 03; Cheyenne Sep 09, Feb 11; Sequoia Lodge June 08, May 12; Elysee May 12, Jan 13, Sep 13; Disneyland Hotel Mar 15, Santa Fe Nov 16, Newport Bay Sep 17
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14 Other: DCL Disney Magic Sep 17

Trippies and videos from:
Orlando
DLP Cruise and other
Peter H is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 09, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by tnkrbell View Post
Just a few tips from my trip:
* If you're going to be there for a few days (we were there for 5) the lovely guy in London underground told us to buy a 7 day oyster card instead of one you just keep topping up. It cost us 28GBP and was certainly a bargain. We used the underground a lot and dreaded to think how much it would have cost up to keep topping up.

*Do Harrod's on a week day as at the weekend its very busy!
Probably a daft question but was that £28 per person? Also was that a travelcard and not an oyster card?

Edited at 01:47 PM.
Old 2 Aug 09, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Can someone who either lives or travels around London alot please help as my head is going to burst

I can't figure out which is the most economical way for us to travel around while we're there and I'm finding it all very confusing!

I don't have these problems when I'm organising Orlando trips

There will be the 3 of us and ds is 12 and we're there from Monday - Thursday. I've seen the £1 rate for ds if we have travelcards - but is this the best way to go?

Thanks in advance
Old 2 Aug 09, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Jedi_Angie
Being a bit Goofy

Originally Posted by madwife View Post
We're off to London on the 10th and I was just wondering what the Harry Potter walk is all about?
Just back from our London trip - and we had a great time! We did some of the Harry Potter walk - you contact the guy that made it up (see the link in my above post) and he sends you (for free!) his 27-page pdf that lists all the places they filmed at in London. It's a self-guided walk, and we liked the idea of doing as much or as little as we felt like. We didn't manage to do all of it, but we did see Platform 9 3/4 at Kings Cross station (including a trolley embedded in a wall!), the Millennium Bridge, and a bunch of other places. We've been to London a few times before, and we just wanted to do something a little different.

Incidentally, for those looking for somewhere cheap to stay (as long as you don't mind bunk-beds!) I'd thoroughly recommend the London Central Youth Hostel. Brand new and spotless, with a lovely cafe/bar/social area, we paid just over £100 a night for five of us in a family room (you get your own shower room and loo) - and we used Tesco vouchers, so it was even cheaper. As we were out all day and every night, we just needed somewhere to sleep.

Shows - we saw 'La Cage aux Folles' (brilliant - would love to see it when John Barrowman's in it), 'We Will Rock You' (way better than I was led to believe - awesome music), and 'Billy Elliot' (terrific, although there's a lot of swearing in it). As you can tell, what we saved on accommodation costs, we blew on theatre tickets!

Incidentally, the Underground tickets we got were 3-day travelcards (about £21 each), with the kids under 16 paying just £1 a day. DH sorted it out - I think he just went on the Underground website and priced up all the options.

High Grove (2007) ... Bella Vida (2008, 2010) ... LA & Vegas (2009) ... Washington/Philly/NYC/Boston/Cape Cod (2011) ... AKL/Florida Pines (2012) ... Westridge (2013) ... AKL (2014) ... RPR/Yacht Club (2015) ... PBR (2016) ... POR (2017) ... HI DS (2018) ... AKL (2019)
Jedi_Angie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 09, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
moggitymog
slightly serious Dibber

can anyone recommend the rainforest cafe?, might go there for a meal during our london break

International plaza resort and spa - March 2009 Hawthorn suites, westwood boulevard - Nov 2011 New York - Nov 2014 Rosen inn, pointe orlando - Feb 2015 Enclave Suites - Feb 2018
moggitymog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List