Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Five Days in Washington DC - Post-trip thoughts

Post-trip thoughts

Index is here.

We really enjoyed our time in Washington DC and would thoroughly recommend a trip there. There is so much to see and do, I’m not sure we’ve even scratched the surface.

The city breaks we’ve taken more recently, have not been quite so jam packed, but this break certainly felt like we were on our feet a lot! Some of that was down to our choice of location for hotel. We’d selected that location, as we thought we wanted to be close to Georgetown to explore in the evenings. We just didn’t anticipate how tired we’d be.

With hindsight, first timers probably would benefit from staying a bit closer to the main attractions. Then again, if they’re much fitter than me, they might be alright.

So, let’s finish this with our High and Not so highs - thankfully we didn’t have any lows:

Highs:
  • Being lucky enough to get a tour of the White House
  • Weather - we couldn't believe our luck with the weather, despite the original forecast of 4 days of rain. Just one morning of rain and fairly warm for the rest.
  • Our hotel room and staff. We really enjoyed having the extra space in the room and the included facilities.
  • The memorials and museums we visited - it’s such a nice bonus that most places to visit in Washington are free. The only money we spent was on a couple of lunches, our evening meals and a couple of fridge magnets.
  • Washington Monument
  • The whole history of the city.

Not so highs:
  • The location of the hotel - in hindsight we should have stayed in a more central location to the monuments.
  • My very painful foot
  • Not spending even more time there. Upon reading Abby’s trip report, I’ve discovered so many other places I wished we’d seen.

Thank you to everyone who has been reading along and commenting. And for those of you who have Washington trips in the pipeline, I hope you've found something useful to help with your planning, and that you have a great holiday there too. I’d love to read all about it.

We have our next holiday planned already for next Easter. Martin has a big birthday coming up, so we have booked a Caribbean Cruise to celebrate. That’ll be a different Dibb forum to spend some time in.

jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We're visiting Washington for the first time in May, reading your TR has given me lots of ideas, thank you.

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your report Jo. We are hopefully off to Washington next November so have loads of tips written down, hoping too for the White House tour! Was it easy enough to apply?

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Caroian
Imagineer

We're also off to Washington next year, so I've really enjoyed reading your report -thanks for taking the time to write it up. The trouble is that I've got such a long list of things I want to do that there is no way we're going to fit it all in!

Hope your foot is feeling better now.
Caroian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks Jo for another fab report. I really must visit Washington DC!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

I always love your reports - thanks for doing them! Washington is definitely on my list - hopefully for August 2021 when combined with Hilton Head Island for family get together!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I wish you'd had your trip before we went as I so would have used your very clever idea for getting the Monument tickets.

I agree about the central location I wished our hotel was a little more central a few times. Still, it would probably have doubled the price so...

I hope you have a fab time on your cruise.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List