Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 23 Nov 17, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by hornetgirl View Post
We’ve had two issues with them on this trip.

On arrival, we pulled in at the first toll to pay and the attendant told us we didn’t need to pay as our SunPass was switched on. We switched it off and paid cash but have never had this happen before. Our fault for not checking, but the default has always been for it to be switched off before. There was a piece of paper on the seat telling us what the SunPass charges would be, which we’ve never had before, but nothing telling us to switch it off if we didn’t want to use it. Something else to remember to check on arrival.

When we returned the car, they claimed we had not prepaid for fuel and tried to charge us $10 per gallon for not bringing it back full. I went to the Avis office to battle with them. First the lady said we hadn’t prepaid, then she said it was because the car wasn’t full when we took it out (w.t.f?) I explained that she could check and see that we ALWAYS prepay and also told her that when we did this at the security barrier, we were told it was $2.49 per gallon/$33.17 total. Eventually she backed down, but in a manner which suggested she was doing us a favour rather than because she knew she was in the wrong.
I would be surprised if you had been charged for using the sunpass if you went to a manned booth, usually you would need to go through the sunpass enabled toll barriers. Anyway doesn't Avis /toll roads now use number plate recognition to charge and not the old sunpass transponders?

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 17, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
I would be surprised if you had been charged for using the sunpass if you went to a manned booth, usually you would need to go through the sunpass enabled toll barriers. Anyway doesn't Avis /toll roads now use number plate recognition to charge and not the old sunpass transponders?
Many of the Budget / Avis vehicles have the transponder but as I mentioned earlier, I think they're all registered to toll by plate. They'll activate in order to avoid fines so I would imagine driving through a cash only lane without paying would also activate it. This is all just assumption though.

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 17, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
spb_IRL
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

We drove through the cash lanes with the transponder turned to off on 27th Oct. Booth attendant told us that we had already been charged when we went to hand him the cash! All lanes were Sunpass only or Sunpass/cash, there were no cash only lanes. Waiting to see what has come through from Avis charge wise.
And to top it all off, they didn't even have us on the board for Avis Preferred, in fact they couldn't find our booking! Not impressed .
OKW & ? Oct 17
spb_IRL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 17, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DFCH-Andy View Post
Many of the Budget / Avis vehicles have the transponder but as I mentioned earlier, I think they're all registered to toll by plate. They'll activate in order to avoid fines so I would imagine driving through a cash only lane without paying would also activate it. This is all just assumption though.
It was a cash only lane and we paid cash. The attendant gave us a receipt, which I’m guarding with my life. I know we’re not talking vast sums of money for any one individual, but it all adds up and there’s a principle involved. I’m so angry about the way they’re trying to rip people off.
Old 24 Nov 17, 12:10 AM  
Link to this Post
keith1973
Imagineer

I think I’m just going to pay the $22 and go through the sun pass lanes
Old 24 Nov 17, 12:19 AM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

Originally Posted by keith1973 View Post
I think I’m just going to pay the $22 and go through the sun pass lanes
$19.75 admin fee plus tolls. If you're doing a bit of driving on toll roads then it can be worth it. If you're just staying in Orlando then it's not. Just get a receipt from the attendant to be sure.

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 17, 12:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by katie View Post
Thanks for the telephone number. I may need it if Avis don't answer my email in a few days.
Can I just ask - Is that a UK number or US? does it need a prefix?

Thanks Katie
It’s a UK number. I then took option 4, got cut off the first time so just called back.

Edited at 12:44 AM.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 17, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post
keith1973
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DFCH-Andy View Post
$19.75 admin fee plus tolls. If you're doing a bit of driving on toll roads then it can be worth it. If you're just staying in Orlando then it's not. Just get a receipt from the attendant to be sure.
Only going to use it to and from airport but for the sake of a few quid worth not having to worry about needing change etc.
Old 24 Nov 17, 12:47 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Apparently whether a dedicated Sunpass non-stop lane or manned booth all have cams to record number plate/tag, hence why many who pay at a manned booths are still being charged.

At manned booths I take a receipt, same with top up petrol receipts, retaining them for circa 5 month. That backfires if you're mistakenly charged, as I was, for a toll, that's when you do not let the supplier off the hook and demand photographic evidence, as is your right. In my instance they couldn't produce [imagine that, no surprise as the car was 150 miles SW of the Orlando violation!] and refunded the admin and toll charge.

As hornetgirl said, it's not so much about the money, it's the principal, and until all stand up against these charges it'll never end.
Old 24 Nov 17, 07:44 AM  
Link to this Post
katie
Imagineer

In 20 years of using manned booth's I have never been offered a receipt. Having said that I have never asked for one & wasn't sure they existed. We have had occasions where we have handed over a $5 note and waited quite a while for change to be offered.

Katie