Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 24 Dec 19, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
amberspy
Imagineer

Mobile Rib of beef

Is it better with bone or boneless
I’ve family coming for dinner on sat thought boneless be easy to carve but would bone have more flav🤔
amberspy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 19, 12:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Most defiantly bone in french trimmed if carving at the table if not I doubt I’d go to the expense of a Rib of beef Point of the Rump is just as+tasty and cheaper and carves better but it’s all in the resting time
For beef
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 19, 12:41 AM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

Originally Posted by amberspy View Post
Is it better with bone or boneless
I’ve family coming for dinner on sat thought boneless be easy to carve but would bone have more flav🤔
I would say bone-in too. It's quite easy to cut away the raw meat from the bone on the side and bottom and then tie it back on. That way you get the flavour and it's easy to carve. Just don't forget to cut the string off.
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 19, 12:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Angelbabe I use=the trimmings for the stock for the gravy then the dogs get them
I’ve just boned out our turkey crown to stuff and tie up for Christmas Day yes bones for the stock for the gravy
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 19, 12:52 AM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Angelbabe I use=the trimmings for the stock for the gravy then the dogs get them
I’ve just boned out our turkey crown to stuff and tie up for Christmas Day yes bones for the stock for the gravy
Our rottie only gets a beef thigh bone or knuckle, he chomps through smaller bones

I roast bones up for bone broth and gravy, can't beat the flavour They put boiled eggs in their giblet gravy recipes here at Thanksgiving!
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 19, 12:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Angelbabe our Visla Frenchie and Staffie get raw marrow bones
The vizla as soon as he’s got the marrow out walks away the other two
Strip them bear and savour the marrow
Yes tasted the gravy at thanksgiving that was ok but the sweet potatoe casserole with praline topping as a side to the turkey
I want that with cream as a dessert it’s to die for
Old 24 Dec 19, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i'm currently doing beef shortribs in the sous vide bath ready for tomorrow.

tonight, the turkey crown also goes in the bath. i'm doing bone-in. finished off in the oven for 20 mins at full blast to brown and warm back up, the meat will shrink, and the bone fall right out. it can then be sliced normally. the liquid out of the cooking bag goes in the pan for the gravy

the bones then go into a bag in the freezer. when ive collected enough, they then get roasted and used for stock

Edited at 10:00 AM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List