Go Back   theDIBB > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > Beyond the Parks
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.
Ocean Florida
Unread 23 Jan 20, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
AllyD
Gone all Goofy

Thank you for the accommodation recommendations, they look lovely, but I'm afraid they're all booked for our dates...
AllyD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 20, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
AllyD
Gone all Goofy

Originally Posted by 7SeasSailor View Post
Red tide is something that comes up to a greater or lesser degree on a more frequent basis but nobody can tell you when. It affected us for a while two years ago but not last year. I've never seen drunken youths on any beach ever. Most beaches that I visit tend to have local by-laws that prohibit this and plenty of people around who will immediately report antisocial behaviour. We tend to visit Caspersen Beach a lot to look for shark teeth.
Collecting shark teeth is what we would like to do too, hence thinking of staying at Siesta key so that we're not too far away...
AllyD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 20, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

We stay on the Gulf Coast 3 times a year for the last 10 years; affected by red tide once in Sept 18.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Starting the 2020 US trips in San Diego
Unread 24 Jan 20, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
AllyD
Gone all Goofy

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Red Tide was awful in August 2018. I don't suffer from Asthma but I really struggled with the smell/gasses at Anna Maria Island. As soon as we got anywhere near the beach we were coughing!
Sorry to hear about that, it sounds awful. Just hoping that it doesn't appear this year...
Unread 24 Jan 20, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

I've never seen drunks on any of the many Gulf Coast beaches we've been to - the most 'lively' place we have been was Clearwater. We're not really a fan of Clearwater beach near the pier (though many are! ) so we tend to go elsewhere if time allows.

We've only experienced Red Tide once, luckily, and it was October 2018.

I didn't recognise it at first - firstly it wasn't really red or reddish at all in colour , it just looked like normal seaweed type stuff .
Also, we were on the East Coast, above Fort Lauderdale, so didn't expect to see it there either as I'd seen reports mainly from Gulf side -
but wow did it sting your chest to breathe!
and made you cough constantly just standing on the beach.
There were a few folk in the water actually! but as soon as I twigged what it was we went away from the beach.
On that holiday we stayed on the East Coast then later on the Gulf, at Fort Myers Beach. There was no sight of it there during our stay It comes and goes, and there are regular updates on the local news channels to keep you informed

Florida - 04, 05, 06, 08, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Cruises - 17 - Caribbean, 18 - Canaries, Far East/India/Dubai, Caribbean, Mexico, , , 19 - Med, China/Japan/HK+more
Other USA - California Nevada Arizona Utah New York New Mexico Colorado

Edited at 02:56 PM.
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Florida fun - then Yacht Club Sept!
Unread 24 Jan 20, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
CarsonMac
Excited about Disney

We were at Marco Island, Naples and Clearwater last week and no sign of the tide. Marco island is so nice! But clearwater has to be my favourite i would say
Quality Inn Plaza , I drive (2009) / Los Angeles, CA (2010) /New york + Villa at Chatham park (2014/15) / Quality Inn on 192 (2015) / Laguna beach (2016) / Flamingo inn ,Daytona beach (2016/17) Houston , Atlanta + Coco key water resort, I drive (2017), Boston (2018), New York City (2018) Washington DC + Clarion Suites Maingate, (2018)Red Lion/ New orleans (Sept 2019) Cabbibean Resort/ Red lion (Jan 2020), Baymont Inn and Suites (Aug 2020)
CarsonMac is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 20, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CarsonMac View Post
We were at Marco Island, Naples and Clearwater last week and no sign of the tide. Marco island is so nice! But clearwater has to be my favourite i would say
Marco Island is my all time favourite place on the whole of the Gulf Coast! I dream about that place!

Florida - 04, 05, 06, 08, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Cruises - 17 - Caribbean, 18 - Canaries, Far East/India/Dubai, Caribbean, Mexico, , , 19 - Med, China/Japan/HK+more
Other USA - California Nevada Arizona Utah New York New Mexico Colorado
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Florida fun - then Yacht Club Sept!
Unread 24 Jan 20, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
discostu
Serious Dibber

As others have said very bad Red tide around AMI in August 2018 the only time I have encountered it. Never seen drunkenness on a beach in fact we always remark how the signs they put up for the nesting turtles are never touched.
Years ago we were out late in Bradenton and passing a bar where a group of rowdy 20 somethings came out I gripped my wifes hand tighter as if this was in Ireland I would have been slightly doubtful of such a groups intentions ...as we walked by each one said " Good night sir Good night Mam"
discostu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Arais aris