Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.
Unread 27 Oct 19, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by COL41 View Post
I liked the idea of the Delia one as always found her recipes quite easy to follow and had good success. Was put off by the nuts on the top so nice to know can leave out. Think DD will like the idea of feeding the cake and doing it traditionally I guess. Thanks for all the tips
Thanks to this thread I got organised today and have the fruit for 3 cakes sitting on the countertop soaking in brandy so thank you!

I usually wait to put the lemon and orange zest in when actually putting the mixture together and I also add the treacle in with the butter and sugar as I find it mixes in easier at that stage.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
CSR - May 2020
Unread 27 Oct 19, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I always did Nigella's Christmas Cake from her Christmas Book, but earlier this year I used Delia's Creole Christmas Cake recipe for DS and DDIL 2nd wedding cake (in the interests of fairness, first wedding cake was made by Bride's mother and used at the overseas part of the wedding).

deliaonline/recipes/...christmas-cake

Everyone raved about it and because it was for a special occasion, I bought top quality raisins and currants from Holland and Barretts and fancy mixed peel from Waitrose and you could really tell the difference, no stalks or seeds and really yummy Caribbean flavours.
Unread 27 Oct 19, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Aliloo
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Joshie1 View Post
I use Delia Smiths recipe and have done for years. I make a few for friends and family and it always goes down well.
It is perfectly fine to leave out cherries or mixed peel. I never put any nuts in mine.
This is exactly what I do! I was taught to make it by my Grandma and keep up the tradition
Aliloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Oct 19, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Joshie1 View Post
I use Delia Smiths recipe and have done for years. I make a few for friends and family and it always goes down well.
It is perfectly fine to leave out cherries or mixed peel. I never put any nuts in mine.
I tend to use this recipe too for the weights but alter the fruit mix a bit. I chuck allsorts in!

Also, shes a bit shy with the soaking alcohol

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Weddingmoon!
Unread 27 Oct 19, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Another Delia fan - I love the reassuring text of her recipes. Add extra dates, no nuts, and we have very thirsty cakes!
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Nov 19, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks everyone-Delia Xmas cake now in the oven 😀
Unread 2 Nov 19, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Originally Posted by Disney_time View Post
I always did Nigella's Christmas Cake from her Christmas Book, but earlier this year I used Delia's Creole Christmas Cake recipe for DS and DDIL 2nd wedding cake (in the interests of fairness, first wedding cake was made by Bride's mother and used at the overseas part of the wedding).

Everyone raved about it and because it was for a special occasion, I bought top quality raisins and currants from Holland and Barretts and fancy mixed peel from Waitrose and you could really tell the difference, no stalks or seeds and really yummy Caribbean flavours.
We have done the Creole cake several times. Soaking the fruit in all that booze for a week is amazing, you can get drunk jist opening the fridge!
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Tokyo for silver wedding
Unread 13 Nov 19, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
VIP Dibber

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I have made many Christmas cakes over the years. The one I like best is the one by Mary Berry.

19 August 2020 three night trip to Slough to attend Countryfile Live. 🐂
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Holiday to Florida with Florida4less