Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 2 Jan 20, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
x_Ange_x
Apprentice Imagineer

Waffle maker - recipe ideas

Hi

I bought my daughter a waffle maker for christmas and could do with some recipe ideas please.

I saw a post on here a while ago but can't find it now.
Oct 14 Villa, HRH, AMI - Oct 16 Villa, HRH, AMI
OCT 18 Villa, AMI- June 2019 R&R AMI 17 nights
x_Ange_x is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 20, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post

I got an omelette maker just before Christmas and DH also bought my an "I love my omelette maker book". It is really good and I note they do a similar one for waffle makers.

amazon/Love-My-Waf...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 20, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
x_Ange_x
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I got an omelette maker just before Christmas and DH also bought my an "I love my omelette maker book". It is really good and I note they do a similar one for waffle makers.

amazon/Love-My-Waf...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Thank you - that looks perfect, I will order one
Oct 14 Villa, HRH, AMI - Oct 16 Villa, HRH, AMI
OCT 18 Villa, AMI- June 2019 R&R AMI 17 nights
x_Ange_x is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 20, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
We stock up on Bisquick pancake/waffle mix when we go - really easy to make waffles (doesn’t help you now, but when you next go, pick some up).
Old 2 Jan 20, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandobelle
VIP Dibber

Orlandobelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Originally Posted by mason1 View Post
We stock up on Bisquick pancake/waffle mix when we go - really easy to make waffles (doesn’t help you now, but when you next go, pick some up).
Ditto for krusteaz pancake mix. You can get it over here in costco 👍
Orlandobelle is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 20, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

proper belgian waffles. they are *so* worth the effort compared to normal waffle batter mix ones. double up the recipe (or more) and freeze the dough balls in ziploc bags... then when you want a couple for breakfast in the morning, just get a couple of balls out before you go to bed, then get up, fire up the iron, fold in the pearl sugar, and youve got amazing fresh waffles!

INGREDIENTS
makes 5 Liège Gaufre

• 3g active dry yeast
• 60g scalded whole milk at 110-115 degrees
• 40g of water at 110-115 degrees
• 240g King Arthur Bread flour
• 1 large room temperature egg, lightly beaten
• 20g light brown sugar
• 4.5g salt
• 3.5g baking powder*
• 120g soft room temperature unsalted butter
• 15g honey
• 10ml (2 tsp.) vanilla
• 150g Belgian Pearl Sugar (“Lars Own” brand is an excellent choice)

* while baking powder is not a traditional ingredient, it provides a slightly more modern texture. If you like, omit the baking powder and add 1.5g more yeast.

DIRECTIONS

1. Place yeast, milk, and water into the workbowl of a stand mixer. Stir for a few seconds to moisten the yeast.

2. Add the egg and 80g of flour. Mix to blend. Scrape down sides of bowl.

3. Sprinkle remaining 160g of flour over the mixture, but do not stir it in. Cover and let stand 75-90 minutes (at the end of that time, you’ll notice the batter bubbling up through the cover of flour).

4. Add brown sugar, salt, and baking powder* (see note in ingredient list above) to the workbowl of a stand mixer. Mix on low speed – just to blend.

5. With machine on low, add honey and vanilla. Then add 30g of butter at a time. Mix 4 minutes at medium-low speed; scrape down sides once or twice in that period. Let the dough rest for 1 minute and then continue to mix for 2 minutes. If you measured your ingredients perfectly, the dough will be sticking to the sides of the bowl in the last minute of mixing and then, in the last 30 seconds of so, will start to ball-up on the paddle. If this does not happen, let the dough rest for 1 more minute and mix for another 2 minutes. Whatever the outcome of the extra mixing, proceed to Step 6.

6. Scrape the dough into a large bowl, sprinkle lightly with flour, cover with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature for 4 hours. This step is crucial for developing the flavor.

7. REFRIGERATE FOR 30 MINUTES BEFORE PROCEEDING TO STEP #8. This is essential. The yeast respiration must be slowed before continuing.

8. Stir the dough down (meaning: gently deflate the gases from the dough, by pressing on it with a rubber spatula), scrape it onto a piece of plastic wrap, and then use the spatula to press the dough into a long rectangle. Fold that rectangle over on itself (by thirds – like a letter) so that you have a square of dough. Wrap it in plastic, weigh it down a bit (I put two heavy dinner plates on top of it) and refrigerate overnight.

9. The next day, cut off 110 gram chunks (you should get 5 of these from the dough), and mix 30 grams of pearl sugar into each by hand.

10. Shape each chunk into an oval ball (like a football without the pointy ends) and let it rise (covered loosely in plastic wrap) for exactly 90 minutes.

11. If you have a professional waffle iron (meaning: it’s cast iron and weighs over 20 pounds) cook at exactly 365-370 degrees (the max temp before sugar begins to burn/decompose) for approximately 2 minutes.** Give each waffle a few minutes to cool slightly before eating. No syrup or toppings are needed, unless you’d like to add some fruit or a dusting of powdered sugar; they’re quite sweet on their own.

** If you have a regular waffle iron, heat the iron to 420 degrees (hint: many regular waffle irons go up to and over 550 degrees at their highest setting) , place the dough on the iron, and immediately unplug it or turn the temp dial all the way down. Otherwise, the sugar will burn.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 20, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
proper belgian waffles. they are *so* worth the effort compared to normal waffle batter mix ones. double up the recipe (or more) and freeze the dough balls in ziploc bags... then when you want a couple for breakfast in the morning, just get a couple of balls out before you go to bed, then get up, fire up the iron, fold in the pearl sugar, and youve got amazing fresh waffles!

INGREDIENTS
makes 5 Liège Gaufre

• 3g active dry yeast
• 60g scalded whole milk at 110-115 degrees
• 40g of water at 110-115 degrees
• 240g King Arthur Bread flour
• 1 large room temperature egg, lightly beaten
• 20g light brown sugar
• 4.5g salt
• 3.5g baking powder*
• 120g soft room temperature unsalted butter
• 15g honey
• 10ml (2 tsp.) vanilla
• 150g Belgian Pearl Sugar (“Lars Own” brand is an excellent choice)

* while baking powder is not a traditional ingredient, it provides a slightly more modern texture. If you like, omit the baking powder and add 1.5g more yeast.

DIRECTIONS

1. Place yeast, milk, and water into the workbowl of a stand mixer. Stir for a few seconds to moisten the yeast.

2. Add the egg and 80g of flour. Mix to blend. Scrape down sides of bowl.

3. Sprinkle remaining 160g of flour over the mixture, but do not stir it in. Cover and let stand 75-90 minutes (at the end of that time, you’ll notice the batter bubbling up through the cover of flour).

4. Add brown sugar, salt, and baking powder* (see note in ingredient list above) to the workbowl of a stand mixer. Mix on low speed – just to blend.

5. With machine on low, add honey and vanilla. Then add 30g of butter at a time. Mix 4 minutes at medium-low speed; scrape down sides once or twice in that period. Let the dough rest for 1 minute and then continue to mix for 2 minutes. If you measured your ingredients perfectly, the dough will be sticking to the sides of the bowl in the last minute of mixing and then, in the last 30 seconds of so, will start to ball-up on the paddle. If this does not happen, let the dough rest for 1 more minute and mix for another 2 minutes. Whatever the outcome of the extra mixing, proceed to Step 6.

6. Scrape the dough into a large bowl, sprinkle lightly with flour, cover with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature for 4 hours. This step is crucial for developing the flavor.

7. REFRIGERATE FOR 30 MINUTES BEFORE PROCEEDING TO STEP #8. This is essential. The yeast respiration must be slowed before continuing.

8. Stir the dough down (meaning: gently deflate the gases from the dough, by pressing on it with a rubber spatula), scrape it onto a piece of plastic wrap, and then use the spatula to press the dough into a long rectangle. Fold that rectangle over on itself (by thirds – like a letter) so that you have a square of dough. Wrap it in plastic, weigh it down a bit (I put two heavy dinner plates on top of it) and refrigerate overnight.

9. The next day, cut off 110 gram chunks (you should get 5 of these from the dough), and mix 30 grams of pearl sugar into each by hand.

10. Shape each chunk into an oval ball (like a football without the pointy ends) and let it rise (covered loosely in plastic wrap) for exactly 90 minutes.

11. If you have a professional waffle iron (meaning: it’s cast iron and weighs over 20 pounds) cook at exactly 365-370 degrees (the max temp before sugar begins to burn/decompose) for approximately 2 minutes.** Give each waffle a few minutes to cool slightly before eating. No syrup or toppings are needed, unless you’d like to add some fruit or a dusting of powdered sugar; they’re quite sweet on their own.

** If you have a regular waffle iron, heat the iron to 420 degrees (hint: many regular waffle irons go up to and over 550 degrees at their highest setting) , place the dough on the iron, and immediately unplug it or turn the temp dial all the way down. Otherwise, the sugar will burn.
I have a waffle maker although it only comes out periodically. I would never use a pre made mix though might as well buy waffles in a packet if so.

Still my waffle recipe is a lot more straightforward than yours.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 20, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
ynwa2009
Excited about Disney

I use the waffle recipe that came in the instruction book, which is really good, the recipe makes about 12, so I freeze the left over ones for my DD to have on a weekday when she fancies one, she just pops it in the toaster and it's done in a few mins

I'd be interested in any savoury recipes, if anyone has any?
ynwa2009 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I have a waffle maker although it only comes out periodically. I would never use a pre made mix though might as well buy waffles in a packet if so.

Still my waffle recipe is a lot more straightforward than yours.
its not really that complicated, its mostly a matter of chucking the ingredients into your mixer bowl, then wrapping it and refrigerating overnight. once thats done and they are portioned off, just folding in the sugar crystals at the end just before you make the waffle so they dont just dissolve
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List