Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 10 Jan 20, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
timnlaura
slightly serious Dibber

Select amenities fees removed for DVC

OH will be happy as he would quite happily drink the coffee all day. It doesn’t say if it’s just for Riviera though.

Photo from wdwnt Twitter.

wdwnt/2020/01/disney-vac...oom-amenities/

Edited at 08:27 AM. Reason: Photo hasn’t uploaded.
timnlaura is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 20, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

It is for all I believe, reported last week- I am sceptical I have to say. Someone will pay- us in dues- and these items seem overpriced, so someone is making a profit. I personally do not want my dues increasing because selfish people request tons of amenities and towels etc, instead of making do.
Old 10 Jan 20, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

I saw that. We have been members for 20 years and never been charged for anything we have had restocked so we must have been lucky! 😊

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 20, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I have never asked for anything apart from when I have to ring up on cleaning or trash and towel day and they have failed to leave what they should. Normally loo roll or coffee. Sometimes a T Towel

I can see huge abuse of this sadly.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 20, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Br'er Bear
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I have never asked for anything apart from when I have to ring up on cleaning or trash and towel day and they have failed to leave what they should. Normally loo roll or coffee. Sometimes a T Towel

I can see huge abuse of this sadly.
Yes, you and YorkshireT are right with it being abused by some and therefore adding to the dues, but that might be small when compared to the following.

Around 2011 we booked a 1-bed at OKW with the free dining package and received full housekeeping daily with all amenities replenished.

At the time we questioned why were cash bookings receiving daily housekeeping at a stand alone DVD resort while members only received a schedule clean. Also was this accounted for in separtate accounts, i.e. members were not paying in their dues for the daily housekeeping and extra amenities for those staying on a cash booking.

We were led to believe it was by a manager behind the front desk.

I now wonder how they keep that separate, do they have different staff covering cash bookings so they and all the amenities are not charged against members dues?

I doubt it, so I wonder if and how it's accounted for; with staff cost increasing maybe that's a question that needs to be asked.

Just consider a stay of 7-nights where cash bookings receives daily full housekeeping while on points it's only a Trash & Towel service on day four, that's a hugh difference in time and cost

So does anyone know how cash bookings are accounted for with regards to the extra services they receive over a member?

If it turns out that all housekeeping is charged against DVC at say OKW and SSR then does Disney compensate DVC accordingly for a cash booking?

If not fully, then maybe cash bookings at DVC resorts should have the same schedule clean as members?
Br'er Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 20, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Br'er Bear View Post
Yes, you and YorkshireT are right with it being abused by some and therefore adding to the dues, but that might be small when compared to the following.

Around 2011 we booked a 1-bed at OKW with the free dining package and received full housekeeping daily with all amenities replenished.

At the time we questioned why were cash bookings receiving daily housekeeping at a stand alone DVD resort while members only received a schedule clean. Also was this accounted for in separtate accounts, i.e. members were not paying in their dues for the daily housekeeping and extra amenities for those staying on a cash booking.

We were led to believe it was by a manager behind the front desk.

I now wonder how they keep that separate, do they have different staff covering cash bookings so they and all the amenities are not charged against members dues?

I doubt it, so I wonder if and how it's accounted for; with staff cost increasing maybe that's a question that needs to be asked.

Just consider a stay of 7-nights where cash bookings receives daily full housekeeping while on points it's only a Trash & Towel service on day four, that's a hugh difference in time and cost

So does anyone know how cash bookings are accounted for with regards to the extra services they receive over a member?

If it turns out that all housekeeping is charged against DVC at say OKW and SSR then does Disney compensate DVC accordingly for a cash booking?

If not fully, then maybe cash bookings at DVC resorts should have the same schedule clean as members?
Mmm, a really thought provoking post. Well done

Sad to say I have no idea. Maybe Zavander or YT can help?

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 20, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
timnlaura
slightly serious Dibber

I’ve often thought that it was extreme the amount of housekeeping was received for a cash booking. We sometimes didn’t use the soaps and the one we did, left out for reuse but the still left loads of additional soap and other bits.

We have found the DVC housekeeping schedule, albeit maybe it could be in a better order which days are done when, apart from running out of coffee. 😆
timnlaura is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 20, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodlez
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

It seems odd that this is in the ‘news’ now when I’ve been seeing it discussed for months! :-) I’m not sure how much impact it will have on dues as I’ve seen many posts about people helping themselves from carts or from pools, so it may be the same people that over use the amenities going forwards, but it will be easier for them to keep track of.

That’s a very interesting point Br’er Bear! I’d love to know the answer.
Noodlez is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 20, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Br’er- I’m sure the official answer is that all such costs for cash bookings are met directly by Disney as part of its costs of running its cash business.
There are all sorts of questions, yours is an excellent one. Others include:

1. How much of breakage is kept as profit per annum?
2. Exactly how are hotel and DVC costs broken down on shared amenities and staffing?
3. Exactly how are transportation costs worked out and applied to dues, particularly in shared resorts.

I think it would be a great idea for the management board (DVD execs) to publish a comprehensive FAQ with these and many other question answered so we can all see.
Zavandor has the rare experience of discussing with Disney execs some issues (on his lockoff premium protest) and for example, asked about this $6 grocery charge and I understand was told it shouldn’t be charged if groceries are brought up with luggage (Zavandor wiki correct me if I’m wrong). I am sure there are dozens of things like that we’d all like to know if DVC would publish a financial FAQ.

Edited at 02:56 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 20, 05:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Br'er Bear
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Br’er- I’m sure the official answer is that all such costs for cash bookings are met directly by Disney as part of its costs of running its cash business.
There are all sorts of questions, yours is an excellent one. Others include:

1. How much of breakage is kept as profit per annum?
2. Exactly how are hotel and DVC costs broken down on shared amenities and staffing?
3. Exactly how are transportation costs worked out and applied to dues, particularly in shared resorts.

I think it would be a great idea for the management board (DVD execs) to publish a comprehensive FAQ with these and many other question answered so we can all see.
Zavandor has the rare experience of discussing with Disney execs some issues (on his lockoff premium protest) and for example, asked about this $6 grocery charge and I understand was told it shouldn’t be charged if groceries are brought up with luggage (Zavandor wiki correct me if I’m wrong). I am sure there are dozens of things like that we’d all like to know if DVC would publish a financial FAQ.
FQA is a great idea YorkshireT, shame it wasn't implemented years ago.

Going back to when we last stayed on a cash booking, while it might have since changed I'm sure the bed linen was changed every day along with all the amenities left, whether or not we needed them.

When we next visited using points we felt like we were missing out and as members we were actually receiving a lower service than a cash guest, maybe it's time cash guest received the same service as members.

But until that happens then hopefully those extra amenities and labour cost is somewhere accounted for as otherwise aren't members subsidising Disney's cash bookings?

A room on cash bookings for a year equals 365-full housekeeping services, whereas a DVC room on points for say 52 x 7-day booking would require just 52-full housekeeping and 52 trash & towel services.

For members to request a full housekeeping service in a studio I think it would cost $30 and $15 for a Trash & Towel service, so if we used those amounts as a rough guide on cost in the above senorios we have:

On Cash: 365-full housekeeping services = $10,950
On Points: 52-full housekeeping and 52 Trash & Towel services = $1,560 + $780 = $2,348

That's an extra $8,602 for servicing a cash studio room over a points booking for a year.

Okay, rooms on points will be booked for 1, 2 or more reservation nights so those will result in more full housekeeping.

Not sure what's the true percenatage of cash bookings but it did seem like Disney UK were selling a lot of rooms at SSR and OKW with the free dining offer between 2011 and 2016.

With around 432 studio rooms at SSR, if around 100 of those were assigned to cash bookings, that's an additional cost to housekeeping of $860,200 pa.

Many Brit's were booking 1 and 2-beds on the free dining offer, which for members a full Housekeeping service for a 1-bed would cost $45 and for 2-beds $60 a day.

So my point is while charges for some in-room consumables are being removed and that might encourage some members to request more, that might be a small cost to our dues in comparison to those guest staying on cash, especially if it's not fully accounted for by Disney.

Hopefully someone might know the answer but if not, when I'm at the Moonlight Magic event I will ask this question to any attending DVC executives, that's if i find one!
Br'er Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List