Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 29 Aug 19, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Ok, so DCL have very firm processes for storms and are very well equipped to deal with them at sea (as are all cruise lines of course).

1. DCL can change your itinerary and miss ports without having to offer any compensation to you. They may offer you something, but this would be a goodwill gesture and not to be expected. Remember that the Captain and crew all have families too, they don't want to be near a hurricane either. Safest place is out at sea, not in port.

2. If the cruise is cancelled, DCL will issue full refunds and may also offer a discount off of a future cruise. Again, they don't have to offer the compensation but may do and have done in the past.

3. Check your insurance. Nobody here can say what is covered or what is not, you need to read your conditions. For our insurance, we always make sure we have 'missed ports due to weather or illness'. Lots of people don't though.

4. Try to have a plan B if at all possible - a room that can be cancelled is the best bet, even if it's not where you are staying now.

5. Try not to stress. I know this is so easy to say sat here, but it will do you no good at all and will not get any decisions made quicker for you.

If I can help in any way, please PM me.

Joa
Old 29 Aug 19, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
onion2803
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Merryweather17 View Post
I spoke to a lovely lady at Pop and she said that there was a little availability over the weekend however then she went and checked with a colleague. The colleague came back and said we would be going on the cruise as they never cancel and will just go round the storm, I tried to explain that this would be tricky as we are due back at pretty much the time a cat 3 hurricane is due to hit but she just said we were going anyway. This attitude really annoyed me as it is almost like they don't care so long as they get to run a cruise and not have to cancel! We will see what dcl come up with by tomorrow, a lot depends on what the NHC says next and if the storm continues to intensify. The short notice is very frustrating and I do feel a little bit like we are playing chicken with having somewhere to stay but with a cool head on I honestly think I would pay to go somewhere else sunday/monday maybe with internal corridors just in case of a curfew. Before anyone says this is impossible/ridiculously unlikely, it is my holiday paranoia and I can cry if I want to
I wouldn't rely on Disney for emergency accommodation if the cruise is cancelled - we ended up in Cabana Bay which was wonderful, but that was only because Disney actually put their prices up initially when the majority of hotel chains (Rosen, Hilton, Universal) had activated hurricane pricing.

The service we got at All Stars when we asked about emergency accommodation was disgusting - the way they spoke to us and to the American family at the next desk (evacuated from Miami) was disgraceful. We moved to SSR the next day for our original pre-cruise stay and the difference in service was shocking...they couldn't do enough for us but had sold out of affordable rooms and we didn't need a 3-bed Grand Villa!

Disney Cruise Line was no help either so I would make sure you have a plan in place, just in case...and I recommend Cabana Bay
onion2803 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellesdream
slightly serious Dibber

We are due at Cabana Bay on Monday when we disembark. That's what I'm worried about at the moment - where we disembark and what will happen to our car and can we drive to cabana bay as I don't think we can at the current projection. Its the knowing either way so I can plan and organise the car and hotel that worries me!
Bellesdream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bellesdream View Post
We are due at Cabana Bay on Monday when we disembark. That's what I'm worried about at the moment - where we disembark and what will happen to our car and can we drive to cabana bay as I don't think we can at the current projection. Its the knowing either way so I can plan and organise the car and hotel that worries me!
100% agree with this! The 8am advisory has come out so we are waiting to see how disney responds, it doesn't seem any more likely that it will move out to sea and miss us completely though!
Merryweather17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

That will depend on the terms of your specific policy. Ours has cruise cover included, some policies it's extra .
Probably best to call your insurance company if you are not sure.

Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
We are on the same cruise leaving on Friday and I am wondering the same and hoping for the best.

We paid extra for a veranda this time, but it doesn't look like we will get much use out of it!

My worry is whether we will get to fly home on Monday if Orlando is impacted or if we have to stay out at sea for longer.

We are flying home from Fort Lauderdale on Monday evening. I am back to work on Wednesday.

We are flying with BA. Does anyone know what will happen if we miss our flight because of the cruise? Are we covered by our insurance?
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Licoricelover
Excited about Disney

I can only speak for our experience but when our cruise was cancelled (we found out half way across the Atlantic) we were staying at AKL in 2 studios. They gave us a 2 bed at a very reduced rate and after the hurricane we had our tree house and wilderness cabins bookings cancelled due to tree damage so the staff at AKL juggled things around and let us stay in the 2 bed so we didn’t have to move to another hotel. They provided full buffet breakfasts for $10 and dinners for $15. The hotel was heaving with people who had been evacuated and their pets but they put on lots of activities while the curfew was on. They really couldn’t have done any more in very difficult circumstances.
We were told the reason all the cruises were cancelled was because Port Canavarel closed and all ships had to leave the port, otherwise our cruise would have still gone ahead but with a changed itinerary.
We were offered a 25% discount on another cruise.

The hotels were full of evacuees from coastal areas like Miami and the keys not tourists. We felt really sorry for them as they didn’t know whether they would be going back to destroyed homes.

It sort of put things into perspective for us and decided there was no point in getting stressed and we would just go with the flow whatever
happened. At the end of the day we just had to adapt to circumstances beyond our control. You can’t change the weather.
Licoricelover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

On chat with DCL now, they are saying you are going no matter what, rough seas are fine - suck it up! also that they may be returning us to miami not canaveral! Not happy with the whole - we will take you back to orlando so what is wrong with this attitude!
Merryweather17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
On chat with DCL now, they are saying you are going no matter what, rough seas are fine - suck it up! also that they may be returning us to miami not canaveral! Not happy with the whole - we will take you back to orlando so what is wrong with this attitude!
I suppose that they really don't know yet - it's still a few days away and anything can happen. I'm as eager as anyone to know what we're doing but if it sails and we return to Miami, then I'm sure that they will transport us to Orlando and treat us well. I'll be happy just to know that our flights are leaving the UK on Sunday - the rest will sort itself out.
EDIT - realised you're on the 3 nighter before ours!
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984

Edited at 03:01 PM.
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Whilst I understand your concern, rough seas are fine, we've had many a wave crashing over the deck 3 windows on a Transatlantic cruise. Nobody can control the weather and unfortunately, sailing in hurricane season means you are at a greater risk of hurricanes.

If they dock you in Miami, they will transport you northwards somehow. This is all for your safety, not for them to cause problems for you.
Old 29 Aug 19, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Has this been posted?
Has this been posted?
TROPICAL WEATHER UPDATE FROM DISNEY
August 29, 2019 – 10:30 a.m.
We continue to closely monitor the path and progress of Hurricane Dorian to ensure our Guests enjoy safe and comfortable cruises, and to make certain our ships steer clear of the storm. The safety of our Guests and crew is always our foremost concern.
Disney Dream – Friday, August 30
Based on Hurricane Dorian’s current location and projected path, we have determined that it is safe for Disney Dream to set sail on Friday as originally scheduled. Once the ship departs Port Canaveral, it will keep a safe distance from the storm. Depending on its path, there is a possibility that we may need to modify the itinerary, including not being able to return to Port Canaveral on Monday. We will continue to monitor weather forecasts throughout the sailing and adjust as needed.
Guests that do not want to sail on Friday, must call us at 866-325-3905 or 407-566-7032 by noon on Friday. Guests will then have until October 31 to choose a new sail date. They may change their reservation to a later date without incurring a change fee, though there may be a difference in price depending on the new sailing selected.
Disney Fantasy – Saturday, August 31
At this time, based on the current predicted storm timing and path, we do not anticipate any changes to the Disney Fantasy sailing on Saturday, Aug. 31.
Disney Dream – Monday, September 2
We are closely monitoring potential implications for the Disney Dream sailing on Monday, Sept. 2. We encourage Guests to monitor our website for updates.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List