Notices

View Poll Results: How much do you spend a year on holidays ?
0-£2000 22 5.29%
£2000 - £4000 57 13.70%
£4000 - £8000 133 31.97%
£8000 - £12000 115 27.64%
£12000 - £18000 53 12.74%
£18000 - £25000 18 4.33%
Over £25000 18 4.33%
Voters: 416. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 Mar 21, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Our yearly holiday budget 'holiday funds' account comes in at £19,000 per year, sometimes we've gone over, but sometimes, like last year, we've spent less!
That is typically Florida and other long haul and occasional short haul.
Oh and cruises - now we've started doing cruises, cruising has started to eat a lot of our holiday fund

Usually our young adult kids come with us to Florida but lately more travel is just us two.
Last year was supposed to be our first couple's trip to Florida - we're trying again for THIS year.
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 21, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

Like Mick and Joan nowadays we try to get at least 2 x 28 day trips to Orlando a year, usually May and October, but on one occasion we squeezed 3 trips in.
2 of us Premium flights always use points/2-4-1 flights so only taxes etc to pay
Car Hire - expensive as we have to get a large mini van even if there are only 2 of us in order to fit 2 mobility scooters in easily, plus extra medical luggage, and we also have to pay extra for Roadside Assistance as we wouldn't manage without if we had a problem.
4 bed villa with pool usually at Sunset Lakes
We eat out 80% of time, but rarely in the parks
Annual WDW and Seaworld Passes, sadly we can no longer do Universal as its no longer accessible to us unless our DD and SiL are with us
Some souvenirs but we don't go overboard, similarly we don't buy a lot of stuff while out there
An eye watering part of the budget goes on travel insurance given both our pre existing medical conditions. Never had to claim but we wouldn't risk travelling without it.
When they can our DD and SiL come out for 2 weeks and join us at the villa, we do their flights, & park tickets they do their spending
Airport hotel and parking - we use Radisson Blu, Park, Dream, Fly package and day room on return.
We also try and do a mini break during the 4 weeks i.e a short break to St Augustine, Clearwater etc
We also try and do a couple of short breaks each year in the UK or a week in Tenerife.
So around £20 - £25K in total which sounds shocking, but we try to make the most of things while we are still able to travel as we know it will become impossible soon. We both feel so much better when we are away so it is worth every penny for us.
Back home we are not big spenders and our holidays are also our main christmas and birthday gifts to each other as well.
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 21, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
12k has been our average annual spend over the last 10 years. That's been for 2 adults and a couple of times with our daughter who up to this point has been free. Quite scary when I think we could be almost mortgage free if the money went to that instead but life is for living. Covid has validated every penny ever spent, you never know when the opportunity will be taken away and every holiday is a privilege.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 21, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
In a non-cancer year (four lost) and a non-Covid year (three lost so far ) we visit Florida twice a year for 4 weeks each time. Off season.

Two oldies, PE flights, travel insurance (painful ), 4 bed villa, eat out about 80%, car hire, no souvenirs and no park tickets since 2010. Around £7.5k per holiday so £15k per annum.

Mick
Yeah but think what you save not heating the house here and not spending on food and petrol etc. while you are away. You are practically getting two months holiday free!
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 21, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Some serious holiday goals here!

So I married my high school sweetheart and we ended up starting our family much sooner than intended...as such much of our 20s was a huge balancing act keeping our family afloat, kicking our careers off and paying huge childcare bills. As we ended our 20s we bought our first home and came out of the childcare years, earning more than triple what we started with.

Being able to start going on holiday was a HUGE privilege for us, it was what we had to forgo for years to get us to this point, and now it's a massive priority (thankfully in time for our kids to understand, appreciate and mostly remember). We currently save about 10% of our net pay cheques to go towards holidays, this gets us abroad about once, maybe twice a year, and from now on any pay rises will see the additional funds being split between mortgage over payment and holidays.

One of the reasons I've been so resentful of Covid (incredibly selfish viewpoint considering how it;s affected others I know) was because it was just as we were really getting to save in advance and holiday, last year was meant to be our first Florida holiday. I really hope travel remains affordable and between DH and my career aspirations that we will be hitting those high figures some of you dibbers are! I think the experience of holidays is what life is all about (for me).
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 21, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Somewhere between £6k and £12k.

Life is for living, to one of my friends that means £30 a day in the pub at least 300 days a year - £9k.

We go out, pub, meals etc but it's in moderation.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 21, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I put 8 - 12, some years it will be more - there are only 2 of us but as I'm retired and DH semi retired we intend to still spend a considerable amount on various holidays, mini breaks etc each year while we're fit and active.
We like Florida, cruises, city breaks here & abroad, and cottage hols here - and we like comfort.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984

Edited at 07:40 PM.
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 21, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
Somewhere between £6k and £12k.

Life is for living, to one of my friends that means £30 a day in the pub at least 300 days a year - £9k.

We go out, pub, meals etc but it's in moderation.
We never go to the pub, except for maybe one after a restaurant meal. We eat out maybe 3 times a year, preferring dinner parties.

That is largely how we fund our vacations.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 21, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
Yeah but think what you save not heating the house here and not spending on food and petrol etc. while you are away. You are practically getting two months holiday free!
I like that logic. Next year we'll fit another four weeks in and holidays will owe us around £7.5k.

Or even better 90 days away (ESTA limit) and 5 days home. Repeat four times and we'll make about £50k profit. I'll check the maths and get back to you.

Mick
Old 19 Mar 21, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
I like that logic. Next year we'll fit another four weeks in and holidays will owe us around £7.5k.

Or even better 90 days away (ESTA limit) and 5 days home. Repeat four times and we'll make about £50k profit. I'll check the maths and get back to you.

Mick
Wouldn’t it be great though.

Having said that you really will be saving some money not being here around two months of the year so I reckon you can deduct that saving and congratulate yourself on your great budgeting.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List