Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Mar 21, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
nicbev
Apprentice Imagineer

Advice for trip to california without a car

Planning in a couple of years, hopefully the world may be back to some kind of normal.
Would like to visit Disneyland and universal studios, can this be done without hiring a car? Would be going in summer school hols, how many days would we need for each park?
2 adults and a 16 year old, what other places could we visit too that are accessible without a car?
Many thanks for any advice
nicbev is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 21, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

You don’t need. A car at all - there are plenty of other options like using Lyft and the metro system is pretty good, cheap clean and safe (during the day) - driving on LA is like marmite some like dong it others dont and parking can be very expensive so Lyft can work out cheaper (and quicker as the wal form some car parks to the gates can be long)

How one you need is the same as asking how long is a piece of string - there are so many studios to visit and you need a day in each really - they all all so very different and fun. Disney is certainly smaller - some can spend a week there I can do what I want to in one day if I get there early enough but next time will stay over the night and do 2 shorter days - thats enough Disney for me and I have had my fix but I am sure others will say 2 weeks ... there is no right or wrong answer as to many variables at play
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 21, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Just seen your other question - you can get a Lyft to Griffith observatory San its normally a lot easier than driving as parking there can be horrendous - down a narrow dusty track (unless its been improved since my last visit in 2002) - you can also get a hop-on- off bus - there are three routes and they all connect and a day ticket gives enable you to get to all the sites etc - you may be able to bet more than a day ticket . I have done it a few times for fun - I love LA and the tours are fun
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 21, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

It can all be done with some planning. Megaflyer knows this way as well as anyone I believe.

Theme park wise in LA you have Disney and knotts Berry Farm south of LA and Universal and Six Flags to the north.

Six flags has the bigger roller coasters and has a water park next door. It can be done in a day, two if you want to do the water park as well. It's 45 minutes north of LA by car and I would have thought you could get a bus. There are also hotels there within walking distance, but nothing else really there other than places to eat as it is just off a highway junction. Valencia is nearby, but again it's a residential town.

You then have Universal which again can be done in a day, or 2 if you want to take it at an easy pace or do rides multiple times. Getting the tickets direct gets you an extra hour in the Harry Potter area first thing. There are hotels within walking distance but can be expensive. Plenty within a short Uber ride or the subway. You also have Hollywood, Warner Bros studio tour in the locality.

Disney wise it is an hour or so south of LA so best to do a stay there. Lots of good neighbour hotels within walking distance, some closer to the parks than the onsite Disney hotels. For first timers without young children it can be done in a couple of all in days, but 3 probably makes more sense, longer if you only want to do part days. Knotts Berry is 20 minutes away and has a mix of rides, our teen found it a bit young for her, but many like it, so worth looking at.

You can use the subway from the Hollywood area to do some day trips to the costal towns like Santa Monica and Venice Beach. Your teen may like Venice beach if they watch bloggers etc.

You could get the Amtrak train down the San Diego as well which is a good place to visit without a car. You could easily spend 5 days down there.

Happy planning LA is a great place if you get under the covers.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 21, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
nicbev
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks all for the help and advice
nicbev is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 21, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Megaflyer is without doubt an authority worth consulting.

Without a car, Warner Bros Studios and Universal are all pretty close. Griffiths Observatory, the Hollywood Sign and Wak of fame are just a little to the south. you could then move by Uber to Annaheim for the second part of the vacation. 6 Flags in Valencia is great fun and we enjoyed it.. think Thorpe Park sized rides and with Sunshine. it is however 25 miles drive North of Universal.

If you were to Uber from LAX to Tangerine in Burbank or if you are a little more flush, the better located Hilton at Universal and then Uber everything before catching an Uber back from Annaheim to LAX at conclusion, then I reckon you could actually save money over hiring a car, paying parking at both hotel and parks etc. I pick the Hilton because of its immediate access onto citywalk or whatever it is called in Hollywood. Annaheim would be down to your own research.

In conclusion and without thoroughly researching the money, I think that you have a cunning, realistic and rather devious plan.
Congratulations!

Edited at 08:00 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List