Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 20 Mar 21, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile Thailand

Hi all

Can you give me any tips or pointers for what will probably be a two to three week trip?

DH has never gone east and I have but only to India. We love the look of Thailand.

I’m thinking three centre:

Bangkok (I know we will love it as we love cities)
Chiang Mai looks amazing
And a beach somewhere? With some night life but not really really busy.

What do you suggest? I’m not a hotel snob but prices look very cheap for some lovely hotels.
Old 20 Mar 21, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

I’m going back 20 years but we did Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Phuket.
It was amazing, although I don’t have photos handy so can’t remember all the details.
In Bangkok we did the grand palace, temples, markets, night markets etc, did a trip out the floating market, some sort of cultural trip with Thai kick boxing and finger nail dancing etc. At the time we felt a bit unsafe as the taxi or Tuk tuk drivers had a scam going where they told you where you wanted to go was closed and took you to their friend’s shop instead. After a stressful first day we booked some organised tours for next days.
Chiang Mai we did the elephant refuge place, bamboo river rafting, paper umbrella making etc.
Phuket was mainly beach/pool time although we did a trip to Phi Phi islands (it wasn’t long after The Beach was filmed there). The night market was great and we did a ladyboys show and had suit/dress tailor made.
Yes the hotels (at the time anyway) were posher than we’d stayed in before for the money and were excellent quality.
I think depending on the time of year you go you might choose different beach resorts - make sure you check the weather for the resorts as they have different wet and dry seasons.
A friend has been to koh Samui several times and it looks amazing too.

Edited at 11:42 PM.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 21, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Years ago we went in April, hot, dry and pleasant. We celebrated the New Years water festival while there which was such fun, the bars give you plastic bags for your belongings and you get soaked! Stayed at the Landmark in Bangkok which was superb and excellent value. Then had a week in Koh Samui, which was like paradise. Also had clothes tailored while there.
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 21, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

We go to Thailand every year,along with Goa it is our winter holiday destination.
Next March we have Bangkok,Khao Lak and Phuket booked.
We love Khao Lak,it is very laid back with lovely restaurants and little cocktail bars.
The night life is not in your face and you see none of the lady side of Thailand.
Next year we have friends coming with us who have never been to Thailand before so that’s the reason we are also doing Bangkok and Phuket although Phuket may change to Krabi,I’m being really indecisive at the moment,but we have the Graceland Resort booked at the moment in Phuket which looks lovely and it was a really good price and pay on arrival,so I can change my mind if need be.
I chose Phuket because it’s handy to nip over to the Phi Phi islands and if my friends want abit of livelier nightlife they can have it
If me and my husband can’t get back to Goa in January then we are going to Thailand then as well.
On that trip we will be visiting Koh Samui and Koh Phangnan which will be new to us.
The flights are coming up at just under £500 at the moment so a good price and as you say hotels have some good prices.
For the Graceland we have paid just under £1000 for 7 nights for 3 rooms,which I’m happy with as its beachfront and looks really nice.
They have ethical elephant sanctuaries in both Chang Mai and Phuket which are great experiences.
Again as said which months you choose will determine the best places to visit.
Phuket,Krabi,Khao Lak,Koh Samui and Koh Phangnan are best between Nov-May I’m pretty sure Chang Mai is on a different rainy season.
You’ll love Thailand
Tracy x
Old 21 Mar 21, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Cant help much as we only had a one night stop as part of a cruise ,but we stayed in Pattaya, it wasnt really my cup of tea, but we did visit an elephant sanctuary along the way, and the temple of truth (I think it was called) which was stunning.
There was a restaurant called cabbages and condoms which was great. ( google that one 😁 )
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 21, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Scotsmomma2
Imagineer

Do watch Geoff Carter on youtube, we've never been to Thailand but love watching all his Vlogs.
Scotsmomma2 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 21, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you all, this is all amazing!
Old 21 Mar 21, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Scotsmomma2 View Post
Do watch Geoff Carter on youtube, we've never been to Thailand but love watching all his Vlogs.
Just discovered him this week,as I’m watching a lot of you tube lately whilst furloughed.
OMG on some,he has literally made me laugh out loud,I said to my husband he’s certainly got some rattle lol!
He’s brightened my days lol!
Tracy x
Old 21 Mar 21, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickeyspal View Post
Cant help much as we only had a one night stop as part of a cruise ,but we stayed in Pattaya, it wasnt really my cup of tea, but we did visit an elephant sanctuary along the way, and the temple of truth (I think it was called) which was stunning.
There was a restaurant called cabbages and condoms which was great. ( google that one 😁 )
I would say avoid Pattaya for your first visit to Thailand,probably the worst introduction to a country you could have.
It’s certainly the place best suited to the single men,if that’s what they are going for,which certainly isn’t all single men before I get put in my place for generalising all of them in one sweeping statement.
Tracy x
Old 21 Mar 21, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tracy99 View Post
I would say avoid Pattaya for your first visit to Thailand,probably the worst introduction to a country you could have.
It’s certainly the place best suited to the single men,if that’s what they are going for,which certainly isn’t all single men before I get put in my place for generalising all of them in one sweeping statement.
Tracy x
I know what you mean about (some) single men and Pattaya - not pretty. We were in a bar and the beers had two prices - I naively thought it was for a small/large beer. No, it was for a beer or a beer ‘with company’!
We’ve been to Thailand a few times just on a diy basis. Hotels in Bangkok are usually of a good standard and relatively cheap but location is important for getting around by rail and river (the roads always seem to be gridlocked and takes an age to get anywhere). We have stayed in a fantastic B&B on Phuket a couple of times which is a little oasis of calm and comfort. It changed hands quite recently but the reviews are still good. villaangelicaphuket/ It was called Baan Malinee when we stayed there.
We rent a car on Phuket for a few days which sounds a lot worse than the reality - they drive on the left and are quite courteous drivers. It’s a great way to see the island without having to go on herded, organised tours.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List