Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 24 Feb 19, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile Anyone do Hong Kong/Shanghai/Tokyo in one trip?

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone had done all three places in one trip, and if so, how did you book the flights?

If I put the whole route into kayak we are talking silly money, so just wondering if it is truthfully very expensive to do, or if there is a cheap way? A round the world ticket perhaps?

It might be that I’m pricing this summer too late in the day (I’m hoping to go next year - or the year after if the Tokyo olympics price me out of next year - and just looking for price ideas right now based on this year).

I’d ideally like to do one trip as whilst I know we’d happily go to Japan as a stand alone holiday, I’m really not feeling Shanghai, so would only really want a short stopover there, but don’t want to miss it altogether as my number one bucket list is to go to all of the Disney parks, and I just don’t see me going there unless it’s as part of this trip.
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 19, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I haven’t don’t this trip yet but it’s one that I’m considering for this summer. I’ve just ordered guide books from Amazon so I can gauge how long to spend at each stop (I’ve been to HK before so probably 4 or 5 nights there) and I’ll book 3 weeks off work.

The prices I’ve seen are about £1000 each for the flights which I thought was about right. I did my search through Opodo - all direct flights, LHR > Shanghai, Shanghai > Tokyo, Tokyo > Hong Kong and Hong Kong > London.

Happy planning
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 19, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
I haven’t don’t this trip yet but it’s one that I’m considering for this summer. I’ve just ordered guide books from Amazon so I can gauge how long to spend at each stop (I’ve been to HK before so probably 4 or 5 nights there) and I’ll book 3 weeks off work.

The prices I’ve seen are about £1000 each for the flights which I thought was about right. I did my search through Opodo - all direct flights, LHR > Shanghai, Shanghai > Tokyo, Tokyo > Hong Kong and Hong Kong > London.

Happy planning
Thank you ever so much for replying - can I ask what dates you are looking at?

Did you particularly choose that route or was it the cheapest way to do it? (The only reason I ask, is that I’m fully expecting Japan to be our highlight and so had planned to finish there, but wondering now if that’s a more expensive way of doing things)?

ETA - are you planning to fly direct? I’m just wondering if the prices for me are sky rocketing because I would prefer to fly direct? I just went on Opodo and the prices doubled if I switched to direct flights (but the cheaper flights involved a 26h journey time home rather than 12h!)

Edited at 11:32 AM.
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Flying on 3rd August. I’ve priced it up using several different dates for the other flights but it’s always been a similar price.

There’s no particular reason I planned it in that order, I think it’s probably because Japan is the furthest away on a map (although flight paths mean the flights home are a similar length). I really enjoyed going to Hong Kong and am a bit nervous of Japan and China. Hong Kong was still very ‘English’ so I didn’t worry about signs on public transport or menus in restaurants!
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 19, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Direct would be preferable but I’d price up indirect to compare.

These are the details to what I’m looking at...

Old 24 Feb 19, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
Flying on 3rd August. I’ve priced it up using several different dates for the other flights but it’s always been a similar price.

There’s no particular reason I planned it in that order, I think it’s probably because Japan is the furthest away on a map (although flight paths mean the flights home are a similar length). I really enjoyed going to Hong Kong and am a bit nervous of Japan and China. Hong Kong was still very ‘English’ so I didn’t worry about signs on public transport or menus in restaurants!
Thank you for that, that’s really helpful. That’s given me some hope as I would prefer to go direct and those prices are fine for that - I would struggle to justify that price if I was having to change planes and doubling the travel time.

That’s good to know about Hong Kong - I think your plan sounds good and I think I’d like the more relaxed, language advantages of finishing in Hong Kong too 👍