Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Jun 19, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Suica Card - App !

Here is a nice development, for folks that are interested, there is now an English Suica card app – for both iPhone and Android am told – see pic below of apple Store graphic:

It allows you to have a Suica card on your phone, without first having a physical card to them move onto your phone.
This is of course if yours is a model of iPhone that has the extra IC chip in it, most models from last few years do, but let Google be your guide.

Have read it allows you to create an account (in English) and then add money to the newly created virtual card on your phone, via Apple Pay (or similar on Android) and I believe you can also top it up when in Japan, at stores and machines in the stations.

As I have a Suica on my phone already, the app only works partially for me, but anyone who does not have a card on their phone and fancies giving it a go…….

There are a few cons to having it on your phone to be aware of.

1 – with a physical card you can hand it back in at a station and they will give you back the money left on the card, back in your hand. Not an issue for me as I just used my balance in Tokyo Hands store to pay part of the bill what was left on my Suica, the rest via cash.
2 – I added cash to my Suica via Apple Pay or via convenience stores at the till, but you should also be able to do it in train stations at Suica top up machines, of which nearly all stations have them.
However, the machines I saw had slots for the Suica card to be pushed into (think ATM) and only saw one machine than had a “shelf” you could rest a phone into – to charge the Suica on a phone via.
Not an issue for me as did Apple Pay / stores – but worth bearing in mind.

Edited at 04:21 PM.
AntonyJ is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Laughing Minnie
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thanks for sharing, it looks good. We will download it for our trip in December 👍
Laughing Minnie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
dopson
Helping Mickey

Wow thanks, I was gutted there was no Android support. 22 days to go.
dopson is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
dopson
Helping Mickey

Nothing coming up on Play Store
dopson is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Sorry - the orig post I saw elsewhere suggested it was in Play too -but am Apple so cannot go hunting...
AntonyJ is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
iheartwdw
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for this, off to Japan in 18 days and will be a great help

Laura Xx
iheartwdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

Mobile

OH has an iphone but i think we are going to stick with physical cards. We need child cards too so will be getting those when we swap our JR pass (and book shinkansen) in the airport.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List