Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 14 Jan 18, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

C&L Beijing, Hong Kong and HK Disney Nov 2017 - Day 7 - Dolphin Watching

Day 7 – Dolphin watching

We had pre-booked to go dolphin watching today . Hong Kong has pink dolphins! I read about them when researching for the holiday and couldn’t believe it! They are Chinese white dolphins but they looks pink (we were told it was because of the blood at the surface of the skin). They said they believe there is less than 50 left in the Hong Kong waters.

The dolphin watch was $460 each (£46). We were to meet the coach outside the Kawloon Hotel at 8.50am. We left plenty of time but got the MTR to the Hotel very easily and found the tour guide.

We were taken by coach to the boat and the tour guide gave us information about the dolphins. We got on the boat and left about 9.40, the tours run on a Friday, Sunday and Wednesday and there was probably about 20 people on the tour.

It was about 30 minutes out of the harbour then we were on dolphin watch. We watched for about an hour and we were starting to wonder if we were going to be unlucky (apparently they see dolphins about 97% of the time).

We had just opened our pizza flavoured crisps that we had bought with us and I joked that maybe they would attract the dolphins and it worked 🙂 well, the dolphins arrived !

We initially saw one and Chris missed it both time it came out of the water! The boat carried on and we then saw quite a few more and a baby - the babies are born grey! We spent about 30 minutes watching them and we couldn’t believe how many or how much we had seen, one jumped out of the water quite close to the boat right where I was videoing!

I have had to screenshot the next two from the video so not the best quality.

They were incredible and we were so happy we had booked it. We headed back on a high.

The harbour was very close to the 360 cable cart and the coach offered to drop us off. We were planning to do this on the day we transferred to Disney but thought we might as well do it today. We arrived about 12:30pm and the queue for the tickets was about 30 minutes long. We paid extra for a crystal cabin (which has a glass floor), it was about an extra $60 each. The tickets were $290 each.

The crystal cabin was a novelty and we really enjoyed it. The views from the cart were great and it was much longer than expected. The sun had come out too for us.

We stopped at the top for some food of dumplings and a mango smoothie which came to $42. We went to see the big Buddha but didn’t walk all the way to the top.

We had a cart to ourselves on the way back down which was good fun. Going up the queue for the crystal carts was much longer, however it was the complete opposite coming back down which we thought was strange.

We got the MTR back which was $39 for both. I fell asleep for a bit once we got back as I was shattered! We wandered over to a food market at 6 just around the corner from the hotel. It wasn’t what we were expecting but there was a cafe at the top. We ordered kupo chicken and lemon chicken both with boiled rice. We shared a beer. The portion of the lemon chicken was huge! I did my best but couldn’t finish it! This came to $194.

We walked back to the hotel and got the 7pm shuttle down to Temple Street Market. We got some chopsticks as presents. I forgot to get a photo (and have now given them away) but they were like this photo that I have borrowed from google. The box sets we managed to get both for $60, which I was very pleased with as they said $69 for one to start with. I also got some novelty ones for my sister for $15.

We continued our walk down to the waterfront and we to Aqua Spirit Bar. We arrived as the light display was on, we thought it would be very busy but it wasn’t and we easily got a table. It was a Sunday though which might’ve made a difference. I had a glass of wine and Chris had a beer, we took our time and enjoyed our drinks. The bill was $270 so it was expensive but it had been worth it for the views.

We walked to the waterfront to have a last look and then got the MTR back to our hotel.

Walked - 12km

Edited at 10:30 PM.
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 18, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Wow - what a fabulous day! How special to see the dolphins.

I loved the trip up to Big Buddha. Like you I chose the glass cabin. I did walk upto the Buddha - in the middle of August it was hard going

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 18, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Wow - what a fabulous day! How special to see the dolphins.

I loved the trip up to Big Buddha. Like you I chose the glass cabin. I did walk upto the Buddha - in the middle of August it was hard going
It looked pretty hard going up to the Buddha and not surprised it was hard going! Chris has a slightly dodgy knee, after all of the walking so far we were trying to not do too much considering we had a couple of Disney days coming up, probably for the best! The dolphins were amazing, one of the highlights again!
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 18, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Wow, the pink dolphins tour looks fantastic.
Fab photo of you sitting in the bottom of the crystal cart!
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 18, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
Wow, the pink dolphins tour looks fantastic.
Fab photo of you sitting in the bottom of the crystal cart!
I was pretty scared sitting on the glass haha but Chris eventually convinced me to give it a go !

I couldn’t believe it the first time we saw a dolphin and they actually looked pink!
Old 18 Jan 18, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Brilliant day, the dolphin trip sounds fab and what incredible views from the cable car. Love the glass floor! xx
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 18, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by EJSakaAnna View Post
Brilliant day, the dolphin trip sounds fab and what incredible views from the cable car. Love the glass floor! xx
Thank you, the dolphin trip was brilliant. The glass floor was both great and scary haha!
Old 19 Jan 18, 05:15 AM  
Link to this Post

OMG the cable car looks terrifying, I don’t think I would have the nerve to do it (very scared of heights). I am enjoying your report, we are booked for June / July.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 18, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bridgetx View Post
OMG the cable car looks terrifying, I don’t think I would have the nerve to do it (very scared of heights). I am enjoying your report, we are booked for June / July.
Ah amazing, hope you have a lovely time. The views from the cable car were incredible but can understand if you are unable to do it, definitely would recommend the glass bottom one if you’re scared of heights! Thank you for reading
Old 20 Jan 18, 12:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Pieces
Imagineer

Pieces's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Brilliant photos! You’ve made me even more excited for our trip in May
Pieces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List