Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Members Trip Reports > Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Unread 4 May 19, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
TheDisneyCouple
VIP Dibber

Making a Florida Fanatic 2020 Pre-Trip Report - 08/07 update

Making a Florida Fanatic
August 2020 Pre Trip Report

Coming back after four years away...

Spring 2017, I was wearing my mums apron pulling old wine boxes out from under my parents bed
I was staying at my parents home for a while, on leave from work after the breakdown of my marriage. Id stopped writing my trip report of course. And somewhere in the back of my mind reluctantly - I was beginning to acknowledge that I would never go back to Florida.

Its funny the ridiculous things that upset you in these situations.

Id told my mum ages ago that we would have to digitalise her old photographs. My parents have boxes and boxes of them, and I dread the day long from now when Ill have to decide whether to keep them for my parents sake, or bin them because I cant recognise the faces in the pictures.

So, Id been sorting through them for two days. Checking names and faces and places with my mum and writing on the back of each one. I found a pack of photos that were all misfiled. And then I found this: -
Disney, 1991 Liberty Boat

It was the only one in the pack, so I searched until I found the set. Our old Disney pictures were stacked neatly in a repurposed box for J.P. CHENET Blanc de Blancs.

To be honest, when I found that box I felt relieved. Returning to the excitement of Florida is like returning to sweet childhood but Id lost sight of that by avoiding the more recent memories Id made there with my ex husband. The photos altered my perspective by reminding me that my childhood memories were more important than the ones I'd made when I was married. Which meant I could go back.

The renewed prospect of a Disney holiday was rejuvenating. For the rest of that year I worked like a beaver, moved to a new house and got a new job. I even made plans for a trip for me and my mum to have a girls week in the Magic Kingdom. Until my mum admitted that she couldnt go back now that everything had changed since our first trip.

I worked and saved until Christmas 2017 when I met Michael. And since then life has got better and better.

Its nearly three years since I was in Florida.
Summer 2018, Id worked on a few big projects and Michael had the patience of a saint whilst I turned our living room into an office for my work. I asked if hed like to go on a cheap holiday to celebrate the end of my hard work and his tolerance.
Its at this point that Michael confesses that hes never been on holiday before.

Yes, hes never left the country. Ever.

Hes never been as far as London or Scotland.

Hes never been in a plane.

Hes never touched a palm tree .

We considered a weekend in London

And we looked at a week in Benidorm.

And we watched the Disney World advert on TV.
Woops.
How do you feel about visiting Florida with me in 2020?
It just gets blurted out and of course, hes onto me and my Florida obsession by this point in the relationship and he says:-
Yeah of course
Obviously, I make sure hes absolutely serious first and then - Quick return to the Dibb to announce that Im back and I have a new countdown I start planning.
Introductions please *drumroll*
<<<<<< Samantha. I am the planner, note taker, photographer, guide, visionary. I am most looking forward to spending more time in Animal Kingdom and watching my partners face when we fly above the clouds. I will be 31 when we fly in 2020.

>>>>>>>> May I introduce Michael? . 36 years old. He likes Harry Potter and vaguely remembers a few Disney films. Hes had the entire Star Wars collection forced on him for his improvement (erm). Michael has become a keen follower of the Disney Food Blog. Hes one of the most generous people I have ever met.

Making a new plan...
Which brings me to the few considerations and challenges for this trip. Michael is a holiday virgin and obviously I want this trip to pave the way for repeat trips . It would be wonderful if Michael wanted to return to Florida. So, my plan will incorporate things that I think he will want to do again.

And this is the inspiration for the title of this report: The Making of a Florida Fanatic.

We started with three weeks. I dont want to offend anyone, but I holiday every three years - three weeks does it for me. Not two.

We decided to try and plan for August 2020. Although it took a while for Michael to get his head around waiting that long for a holiday. August is my preferred time of year. I love the heat. Michael was confident about coping with the climate and really didnt want to go when it wasnt warm enough to swim. Although of course he cannot speak from experience.

Were now in 2019 and its been two years since I decided to return home.

OMG its booked
Three-year waits for Florida are part of my everyday life. But for Michael even waiting a year to book was exhausting. It took stints of the Disney Food Blog to keep him happy .

We priced up holidays in January and visited Thomas Cook for a quote when prices for 2020 were finally being released. Thomas Cook usually release their flight prices very early. At this point I received a quote of roughly 13,295 to include all the details below. This was a frustrating time for Michael as I explained that Easter was the best time to book for Free Dining. We were desperate for a countdown now. We made an appointment to return on the 11th April but were called by TC to come and book on the 27th after the official release dates were announced.

So it was honestly a relief when the day finally arrived to put some kind of a deposit down. I checked the prices in the morning with various travel agents before going into TC. The surge in flight costs (which were TC flights) meant that the holiday had increased by 1000. I was concerned that things were getting a bit silly even for a trip this special.

Michaels excitement in the TC store was palpable. I gifted him the full experience by asking him to pay the deposit.
Im joking. Its a joined account.

We had a slight blip when our agent announced that there were no rooms in our preferred hotel, so we tweaked our original dates and ended up with a booking that begins on the 9th August and sees us fly home on the 30th.

And the cost folks?

The cost was 12,500.

Lets look at hotels then
Our first plan for three weeks incorporated a one week stay at the Royal Pacific Resort followed by one week at Port Orleans Riverside and a final week at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. However, I decided to stick with my tried and tested plan which is a one-week stay in a Universal hotel and two weeks staying in a Disney resort.

I love the RPR. I love the restaurants, the rooms, the pool and the distance from the parks. I never regretted spending a week at the Universal resorts before. It is so relaxed there!

For Michaels first trip I wanted something very special for our Disney stay. I asked him to choose the hotel. So, I set him up with a string of YouTube videos and a bag of sweets and watched the magic take place. Michael set his heart on the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Nothing comes close to his enthusiasm for that hotel.

So, he looked so uncomfortable when the travel agent initially declared that all the Savannah View rooms were booked on our dates. Although this was quickly rectified.
Animal Kingdom Lodge (Google images)
It may seem strange that were not looking at villas and outside-the-parks time for a month stay. But thats just not us. Its entirely possible that this may change for future trips when Michael has visited once.

For our Universal stay were spending our first week at the Royal Pacific Resort. This was a lovely resort last time (minus the faulty room key) and the proximity to the park is perfect. Were staying in a standard view room as the views here are generally decent.
Royal Pacific Resort
So, the holiday arrangements are as follows:
Royal Pacific Resort / Standard View / 1 week / 9th Aug - 16th Aug
Animal Kingdom Lodge / Savannah View / 2 weeks / 16th Aug 30th Aug
Lets talk flights
I have something of a Thomas Cook Premium Class addiction. Ive had it once and I keep stretching my budget to fit it in. Im hooked on queue jumping.

Despite the holiday price initially soaring with the flight cost increases the overall cost of the holiday was actually less than our initial quote. So it doesnt feel so bad paying for this now.

It occurred to me recently that we still have no idea whether Michael even gets travel sick.

Weve got 9 hours to find out!

The details are as follows:
Outbound / Sun 9 Aug 2020 12.55 / From Manchester / To Orlando Int. / arrival 17.15 same day / Thomas Cook Premium E
Inbound / Sun 30 Aug 2020 19.15 / from Orlando Int. / To Manchester / arrival 08.35+ Mon 31 Aug / Thomas Cook Premium E

Weve chosen our seats and were on the left side of the seating plan on the back row so we can recline our seats!
Discovery Cove

A bit of a controversial choice here for some people. I dont want to get into a debate, I know not everyone is comfortable with Seaworld after that video. However, as I stated in my previous report, I did a lot of reading around the subject. I understand more about how this propaganda was put together and edited and it makes me seethe. Since then, I take a lot of interest in the work that SeaWorld does to preserve sea life.

All that being said, ordinarily, I would not have chosen to go back to Discovery Cove after swimming with dolphins twice in the past seven years. As much as I love the park, its a lot of money for a single day. However, this changes with Michael of course. Michael is so excited about the swim and I think it is a crucial aspect of his vision for our holiday. I dont want to deny him this experience.

Thats all very well, before we look at the prices. You probably dont remember, or have never read about, my last trip to Disney. I paid 848 for four swim tickets for the 16th August 2016. So, I felt a little put out when I saw that Discovery Cove are charging 570 for two swim tickets on 13th August 2020.

When did they get this expensive!?

Cabanas have also gone up in price, so it is no longer a good deal to book the Elite Package which includes photos. As far as I can tell, it is better to pay for a cabana and photos separately. Which is still much more money than I paid for the Elite package before!

This really pigged me off! Not cool Discovery Cove!

My searches through other websites showed that the price was fairly consistent, so I opened a thread on The Dibb for some help. You can access the thread here.

Dibbers nearly always come through for me. Were now waiting until November to book around Blue Friday when there are usually cheaper tickets to be had. Weve had no confirmation that there will be a discount yet. Watch this space.

The Boring Bits
Insurance this time is with Thomas Cook who organise this through White Horse. Yes, I know - insurance with travel agents is usually a bad idea. However, in this case I did my research and went for one of their premium options after reading through the terms carefully. You never worry about insurance terms until you need it. Its not worth the risk.

ESTAs are probably the next thing!Watch this space for updates...

Woooah! Wait! What? What happened to the last trip report?
The last trip report stopped midway into the first Disney week - roughly half way through - immediately after the end of my marriage. As part of this separation I lost access to all my photographs and notes I understand theyve been destroyed and this has made it impossible to carry on with the show.

I am very grateful for the wonderful comments I received as I wrote the report. I never imagined it would be enjoyed by so many people or that those people would be so disappointed that the writing stopped. I really enjoy reading it back now and some of the information I've recorded has been very useful this time around. My nephew has very fond memories of Florida and my Sister-in-law likes to drop hints about future holidays every now and again.

On this occasion I shall be making a back up of everything I'm using for the report so that I can commit to the end.

COMMENCING 27th APRIL - Finally booked! - See the announcement here

UPDATE 4th JULY - Have just looked at Discovery Cove prices for our dates and they're an absolute fortune! After some good Dibb advice, I've decided to wait until November for the Blue Friday sales. See the full thread here.

UPDATE 8th JULY - Michael sent me a message today to remind me that our countdown is now in the 300s .

Edited at 02:35 PM.
TheDisneyCouple is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
His 1st - My 4th - 3 weeks of Paradise
Unread 4 May 19, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

What a lovely pre trip and reference to your earlier visits.

Like many dibbers on here, your experience is not about a fastpass or restaurant, its all about memories..., awakening those in the past and laying down new ones for the future.

Fondest regards to you and have a great time

Disney332
Unread 4 May 19, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
tory79
Helping Minnie

Mobile

I remember your last trip report. Really happy to hear things have worked out so well in the end. Sounds like you have an amazing holiday planned!
2004 - Ramada International Drive, 2005 - Double Tree Universal Studios, 2008 - Got married at Cypress Grove ! Villa - Legacy Park, 2009 - Villa - The Shires, 2010 - East Coast Tour, Miami to New York! 2011 - Villa - Legacy Park
tory79 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Returning 'home'
Unread 4 May 19, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Sounds fantastic and you sound much happier than before!

Our villa video http://findadisneyvilla.com/videotour.html

License number DWE 6308837
Monitored alarm and safe
Finding Dory bedroom
Fabulous 50's Diner themed games room with pool table, air hockey, fooseball and giant chess.
Gas BBQ
Free National and International calls
Cable TV in all bedrooms
55 inch, 4K smart TV, Free Netflix
2 cots, 2 strollers, 2 high chairs
Please read our 23 absolutely amazing Dibb reviews
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Home where I belong!
Unread 4 May 19, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
lesleydee
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Mobile

I don't post much but I remember your unfinished report and your posts explaining why. I just wanted to tell you I'm so pleased you are doing well
lesleydee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 4 May 19, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Apprentice Imagineer

Stardust5's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 4
Im so pleased that you have found happiness again after such a terrible time. How exciting being able to show your new partner all the wonder and magic of Disney, Im sure he will be a fanatic once he has been to Disney. I look forward to reading along.
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Highlands Reserve and Rotunda
Unread 5 May 19, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
jojo_3596
slightly serious Dibber

So glad you are back Samantha- I enjoyed reading your previous report. Really pleased you are now happy and moving on with a new Florida adventure to look forward too. We are there the same time as you next year so Ill keep my eye out for you! X
Yacht Club here we come!
Unread 5 May 19, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
debojahh
VIP Dibber

So great to see you back and settled down.

Hope you have the best trip!
debojahh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Cheeky HHN trip
Kenwood Travel