Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 May 18, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Dayle
Imagineer

DD has loved Leeds. Travelling has generally been a lift at start and end of the year and train all other times we are in North Wales so journey is just over 2 hrs drive or 3 hrs by train (has to change in Manchester) most of her friends there are from the south and the train is quicker for them than driving. In fact door to door by train there wasn’t much difference in the time it took from her Leeds house, home to what it was from her London (placement year ) house, Home.
D D would of been entitled to a bursary due to low income family but many universities would only give it if you paid full tuition fees.
Dayle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 18, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
lovedisney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
We are also going to Exeter next weekend and have Birmingham to come (plus Nottingham - her favourite - and Leicester) in June and maybe Lancaster and Sussex in September - but they are "if I don't like..."

She wants to study English with the view of teaching English as a foreign language abroad... IN KOREA!

(Basically wants to go as far away as possible from us oldies - as kids are wont to do)
My son has just finished his first year studying Maths at Exeter it’s a lovely Uni in a lovely area, (though LOTS of hills) the accommodation is quite spread out, he had uni accommodation that was actually near the train station and a hike up to uni every day,

July '17 - Sunset Lakes, Aug '15 - Windsor Hills, Aug 13- Highlands Reserve,Aug '11 -Windsor Hills
Oct '09 - Sunset Lakes,May '08 - Lindfields,April '07 - Florida pines,April '05 - Florida Pines,July 1997 - Quality Inn Plaza,I Drive. May 96 - International Drive
lovedisney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 18, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

My dd is at Nottingham Trent which is about 3 hours away although it always seems take longer.

We dropped her off and all other visits home have been via train. We have been to Nottingham twice ourselves because we were in the area for other things. But I’ve found she has become very independent. Getting herself to Manchester for an open day and London for her work visa without any assistance. This is a big chance from last year when she was living at home.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 18, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Me and DS did five. Finance talk the same at them all really don’t do it more than twice! Look at the halls as that’s pretty critical if they will be living in them. Then listen to the course talks and speak to other students if possible. We went to all the libraries and asked about their online borrowing facilities. Some are very sophisticated. We went back to visit three of the cities. This process was a major pain TBH but enabled my son to make the right choice for him which was not the one he thought he’d make before the visits.
Old 26 May 18, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Ps. Campus Unis different to none campus so worth doing at least one of each.
Old 26 May 18, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

As the OP knows, we are looking with Dd this year. She has based her decisions on the psychology course the university offers, she wants a 4 year course with a placement year. (Then onto post grad, but will worry about that nearer the time.)
Our visits are
Reading 16th June. We are driving there on Friday 15th and staying at a travelodge. My niece lives minutes away from the one we have booked, not in the centre so we will pop there and then have a meal in the city. Oh and I have visited several times, so we know where everything is. A level grades required AAB. Booking for this open day has been the most detailed and we have 4 talks, application process, student life, accommodation and why Reading in between visiting the psychology department which is open all day. Not bothered about student finance as the college had an open evening about that.
Colchester, 23rd June, about an hour and a half drive so no hotel needed. Mainly visiting here as a back up choice as required grades are BBB. Only been to the zoo so will try and look around the town as well.
Loughbourgh, 30th June. Driving up on Friday and staying with my sister in Leicestershire.
One of Dds top choices at the moment. Grades required AAB. Have been a few times, but years ago so will look around.
Norwich, 7th July. A 45 minute drive away, and our top choice for that reason. Dd has a couple of visits there planned with the college but we will still look around with her. Grades required AAB. Know Norwich very well, so no need to look around.
Then we have Nottingham Trent Sept 8th. Again driving there on the Friday and staying at a travelodge, not in the city though so will take an uber to the uni. Not top on Dds list as she would prefer a campus uni, but grades required are BBB so is worth a look.
We have visited before when we went to a concert and Dd really liked the city.
We may look at Aberystwyth, even though its so far away, grades required are BBC.
She will apply for 5 and if she likes the look of a few, she will look at what concerts are there. Im pretty sure a fair amount of her student loan will be spent on gigs, she loves live music. Luckily Norwich has the LCR at the uni and the waterfront in the city, both of which we have seen some of her favourite bands play there.
Dd has finished her AS level exams, she is unsure how they went, but has put the work in so hopefully that will pay off. Even though they dont count towards the A level, it will give her a good idea of where she is and will be what she applies to uni with.

Edited at 05:36 PM.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 18, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
Ps. Campus Unis different to none campus so worth doing at least one of each.
We are unsure of how campus and non-campus unis differ tbh. Also not sure if DD's choices for open days are campus or not. Thanks for this, we will check it out
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 18, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
AlisonB
Imagineer

Both our girls went to uni and after doing the rounds with both of them one key thing I would suggest is to take a notebook and make notes! With our first we didn’t do that and quite often we said to each other afterwards ‘which one was it that offered the (insert whatever)?’ And we couldn’t remember!
With youngest dd we had a set list of questions that we asked each uni, main one was contact hours (you’d be shocked at some courses offering 8 hours tuition a week!). Obviously we often asked other questions but at least we had something to compare later on, especially if there was quite a gap.
Our dd’s were quite different - Dd1 wanted to be no more than about 2.5 hours from home, had to be on a campus uni (everything on one site - accommodation, teaching, sports etc) and wasn’t too bothered about the course content. Dd2 didn’t care about anything other than the course - it had to be the perfect one for her!

All worked out well in the end - both girls got their number one choices (DD1 did geography at Loughborough and DD2 did musical theatre at Chichester

Edited at 09:55 PM.
AlisonB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 18, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Oh so sorry it hasn't worked out for your DD. I agree it's hard to know exactly what they want to do for a career at 17/18, so very difficult to choose the right course. My DD is struggling with this too, her head says Biology leading to conservation work which she has always been interested in but her heart is leading towards something more creative such as scriptwriting but she feels this doesn't lead to reliable work.

Hopefully, now your daughter has tried one course, it may help her understand what type of course will suit her and she can reapply elsewhere. Good luck to her whatever she decides 😊

I'm not looking forward to loading the car up to transport all DD's things to halls either. Poor you, having to move it back within the year! 😀
Thankyou. It's been one heck of a rollercoaster. Sheffield is a 10 hour round trip from us so we stayed overnight to go and clear her room. The biggest bit of advice I can offer anyone is pick a subject your passionate about and will really enjoy studying. DD grabbed the first subject offered at clearing and ran with it against all my advice. She still seems terrified of making a career choice that she perceives will mean that's her choice for life. Incidentally her Buisness foundation only offered 3 1/2 hours of tutored lectures per week 😱😱😱 in my opinion way too much time on her hands to lay about and totally not engage with her studies.

Edited at 10:34 PM.
soooexcited! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 18, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by soooexcited! View Post
Thankyou. It's been one heck of a rollercoaster. Sheffield is a 10 hour round trip from us so we stayed overnight to go and clear her room. The biggest bit of advice I can offer anyone is pick a subject your passionate about and will really enjoy studying. DD grabbed the first subject offered at clearing and ran with it against all my advice. She still seems terrified of making a career choice that she perceives will mean that's her choice for life. Incidentally her Buisness foundation only offered 3 1/2 hours of tutored lectures per week 😱😱😱 in my opinion way too much time on her hands to lay about and totally not engage with her studies.
I do hope things work out for her. It is so daunting for them, my DD stresses about this being her biggest decision in life too. Yes, it is big, but if it turns out to be the wrong one they are young enough to try something else.

I agree about the fact that many courses are very light on teaching hours, leading to too much free time. Our eldest nearly got thrown out of his 1st year at uni as he enjoyed his 'free time' far too much. Luckily, he worked much harder after that and ended up with a very good degree.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List