Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 May 19, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
The Genie
Proud to wear my Ears

Flights - HK & Singapore

So we are looking to travel to Hong Kong for a week then onto Singapore from there after for a week, in April 2020.

Re flights- we are travelling from Edinburgh. Would you book a combo flight from EDI - HK, HK-SINGAPORE, SINGAPORE -EDI? or book 2 separate flights?

Is Lufthansa good for long haul? they have great deals on their flights?

I have also heard Emirates do a 'free stopover' ?

Any suggestions on best routes/cost effective/airline recommendations etc etc as this will be our first visit.

Many thanks!
The Genie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
I'd always get a single ticket if at all possible as you then know that onward flights will be covered if you suffer a delay or other mis-hap.

If you book two separate tickets and something goes wrong with the first leg then you're likely to be on your own sorting it out, which may involve paying for replacement flights.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Hmmm, this is a bit tricky. Honestly for HK/Singapore my airlines of choice would be either Cathay Pacific (HK based) or Singapore Airlines (Singapore based), but I don't think either one flies to Edinburgh (both fly to London though and if I don't remember wrongly Singapore Airlines also flies to Manchester).

I guess there are a few choices that come to mind:

1) Book with a carrier that flies to Edinburgh - this includes Qatar (which is fantastic for long haul, I flew long haul with them last year and the year before and was very impressed). You could potentially do this as an open jaw - so Edinburgh-(intermediate airport)-HKG, with return being SIN-(intermediate airport)-Edinburgh. Then book the HKG-SIN flight separately (plenty of airlines fly this route including budget airlines).

2) Fly from another UK airport with either Cathay Pacific or Singapore Airlines. The advantage of flying with either of these airlines is that you can usually get a free stopover in the home city. So you could potentially fly Cathay Pacific on a UK-HKG, then HKG-SIN, then SIN-HKG-UK route, or Singapore Airlines on a UK-SIN-HKG, HKG-SIN, then SIN-UK route.

3) Do codeshare flights - so multiple airlines on a single ticket. Maybe do a search on Kayak and see if anything comes up?
Old 17 May 19, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

Id use multi trip to look at all your flights via Emirates.
Also check Emirates for the long hauls and look at options for the HK - SIN leg to book independently on Skyscanner.
I did something similar last year but with KL, PEN, SIN and the local flights were much cheaper to book separately rather than through Emirates.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
The Genie
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Thanks all! Great advice! X
The Genie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

We did this trip last year from Edinburgh but the opposite way.

We flew with Emirates - Glasgow to Singapore (this was before they started flying from Edinburgh). We had a week in Singapore and then flew to Hong Kong for a week and returned from Hong Kong with Emirates. The Singapore to Hong Kong flight was booked separately with Scoot. We had no problems at all.

It was a great holiday - you will love it!
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggerishtink
Apprentice Imagineer

We flew Edi to Singapore with a 2 hour stopover with Qatar and back from Hong Kong to Edi again with a 2 hour stopover in Doha. Qatar were excellent get great luggage allowance free seat choice and can choose meals. We were lucky had no delays and flight went quickly with lots of movie choices and 30 mins free wifi. Flew in an A350 but if you fly from Glasgow with Emirates think it may be the A380. Our flight was roughly 2 x 8 hours.