Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jun 19, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
It depends on the definition of "enjoying work" (bear with me).

Many of us enjoy doing hobbies. We do them for free or even pay to do them. I enjoy going to the cinema, reading a good book, eating a nice meal in a restaurant, etc. All those things I choose to pay to do.

So... do I enjoy my work enough that I would choose to pay to do my job? No. Do I enjoy my work enough that I would do it for nothing? No.

I primarily do the work I do because I am paid to do it. I need money to pay the bills therefore I come to work. If someone gave me millions of pounds I would stop going to work and do something more enjoyable instead. If the company decided to no longer pay me (or paid me significantly less than I'm getting now) then I would stop going to work and look for a job that did pay me enough.

Therefore, by that definition, I do not enjoy work.

However, I don't hate my job. It's reasonably satisfying. I get to use my brain at times. The people I work with are friendly. There's a good work-life balance. I get paid reasonably well (although I'll happily take a pay rise!). But I wouldn't go quite so far as saying I "enjoy" it - because, well, I don't (see above).

By my definition, I suspect the same is true for most people.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneyphile
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I really like my job but I don’t LOVE it, I wouldn’t do it for free. ☺️ It helps that I only work three days a week though, if I was full time I may feel differently. I left my last job as I used to feel sick every evening before I was due to go into work, I hated it so much. I took a pay cut to do what I do now but it was totally worth it.
Disneyphile is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

I would do my second job for free (though I have a wedding to pay for as many holidays so let’s not tell them that!), I LOVE that job. Though there are days where you couldn’t pay me enough to repeat them.

My main job, still a no from me!
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Edna Cloud
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by riversider2014 View Post
I’ve always loved plane travel and the atmosphere of airports.

I pretty much fell into this career (I do health economic excel modelling looking at cost and effectiveness of new treatments) and while I enjoy the geeky excel side it’s the subject that isn’t of great interest.

My skills are transferable to other industries and if I could do the same job but modelling passenger numbers at airports I’d be in dreamworld😊Unfortunately it would require moving away from York to do that and I’m too settled to do the upheaval. There is jet2 who are based in Leeds which is a possibility and I always keep an eye out on their site.

It's a good idea to keep an idea on the Jet2 website, but there are loads of jobs/careers which involve international travel and any of those would give you the airport / aeroplane travel experience. I'm sure lots of Dibbers will travel for their jobs.

Good luck

EC
Edna Cloud is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

Mobile

I love my job, I work 3 days a week and feel that the work/life balance is perfect.
Enchanted is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Mobile

I work for myself and like it but I'd love to be a teacher really in an Ideal world
Old 20 Jun 19, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
princessnicki
VIP Dibber

I don't mind working- I like the routine of going to work and I like where I work on the whole, it is a 2 mile walk from home, my husband works here and I love the hours (7am-3.30pm). I have been made redundant three times in my life and I hate the thought of going through that again as I really hate changing jobs. Obviously if I won the lottery I would be off but I don't mind working here for as long as I can

All of Team Bricki's Trip and Food Reports

2019- Our Super Secret Wedding and Honeymoon In Disney World
2022- Brett's 40th Celebrations In Orlando
2023- Lisbon and Sorrento
2024- Athens and Italy Tour
2025- Seville

INSTAGRAM teambricki_yorkshire_foodies
princessnicki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

i dont mind working

I work from home as a service/installation engineer so pretty much manage my own days / time

don't think i could do a 9-5 job where i have to be at a desk at 09:00 and leave at 17:00 would do my head in, also wouldnt tolerate the office politics or cliques

im set in my ways now been at this for >30 years
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List