Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 31 May 19, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
They didn't do it to make money, they did it because having more than ten years on a passport would become a problem after departing the EU.
Hmm, and yet its OK when we are in the EU? That really doesn't make sense. I know Brexit gets the blame for a lot but I can't see how being in the EU means you can have more than 10 years on a passport (and travel to anywhere in the world with it) but being outside means you can't.

Edit: OK, I have now read up about this and it seems that the rule is in place so that people with a UK passport can visit the EU. The Schengen area will not permit entry to anyone whose passport was not issued within the last 10 years.

Given that the EU require you to have 6 months left on your passport to enter then the UK passport office could still have allowed you to carry over 6 months from your old passport and it would be OK to enter the EU.

So the change could have been made to allow you to take some over but it hasn't. I wonder why that was?

Edited at 08:50 PM.
Burgmeister is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Deleted as I have added to my previous posting.

Edited at 08:49 PM.
Burgmeister is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
steruth
VIP Dibber

I am just checking on this as DD passport expires april 6th 2020 and we are travelling mid october 2019.
I was worried but seems only need validity for duration of stay is this 100% correct regardless of airline or aiport.

It always used to be 6 months or so i was told many moons ago so always stuck to this, only checked this time as she is on the border.

This is off the uk gov website

Passport validity
Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay. You don’t need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this.

xx
Old 7 Jun 19, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Diz View Post
I know I have read on here that it is ok not to have 6 months left but I am getting nervous about whether this might change as I see other threads about changes to ESTAs etc. My husband and son Passports are ok. Son's esta still ok from last year. Husband needed a new passport which he has now received so will need a new esta so it is just me whose passport is valid for a month after we are due to return and I have an esta from last year.

What would you do? Bite the bullet and get a new passport and esta? We are definitely not going next year (first time in 10 years) as a puppy is joining the family
No need to get nervous. The need for six months in your passport rule is waived for alot of countries. Including us. It has nothing to do with Brexit.

This exemption is highly unlikely to be revoked because to do so actually makes life harder for the US authorities to remove some Brits.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by steruth View Post
I am just checking on this as DD passport expires april 6th 2020 and we are travelling mid october 2019.
I was worried but seems only need validity for duration of stay is this 100% correct regardless of airline or aiport.

It always used to be 6 months or so i was told many moons ago so always stuck to this, only checked this time as she is on the border.

This is off the uk gov website

Passport validity
Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay. You don’t need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this.

xx
It has been length of stay for years.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
steruth
VIP Dibber

Ive been living in the dark lol.
I wasnt aware of this until I checked and found that on government website
So I am 100% ok with DD passport if it falls short of about 1 week less than 6 months on outbound journey ?

Thanks
x
Old 7 Jun 19, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Originally Posted by steruth View Post
Ive been living in the dark lol.
I wasnt aware of this until I checked and found that on government website
So I am 100% ok with DD passport if it falls short of about 1 week less than 6 months on outbound journey ?

Thanks
x
Yes you are
Old 14 Jun 19, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinker-mum
Getting Excited

Mobile

we flew last year and my daughters passport had 2 weeks left. no issues whatsoever. hope that helps. we also knew we wouldnt be travelling for a while as it takes us so long to save to do disney so i thought why pay an extra £80-£90 and lose a year of the passport length.
Old 14 Jun 19, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Griff
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Personally I would get a new one now whilst the online portal is running, mine took only a week, you may not be going next year but I’m sure you’ll be using it in future years! Also never underestimate the need for extra valid photo ID
Griff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bella1 View Post
I would always want a but more leeway than that but then I am always overcautious! Mt friends husband had a massive stroke whilst they were in the Caribbean last year, it was over 8 weeks before he could be re-patriated. What would be the situation if that happened and your passport ran out? I presume the Embassy would be able to help.
Yes there is a specific process in place , as you say the Embassy sorts it. It's not uncommon . If your friend was staying in a Commonwealth country it's very straightforward too, less so if say Cuba .
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List