Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 4 Jun 19, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

If that diagram has been on the ESTA site for over 6 months, I'm baffled how recent applicants are failing to see such obvious 'how to complete' instructions. I now appreciate why CBP are advising one needs to ESTA re-apply and complete all names as per ones pp.
Old 4 Jun 19, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by myaquarium View Post
The example above states first given name. That is what my daughters esta asked. We gave the first given name and an esta was issued. Do we need to update it.
Indeed it does say "First (Given) Name". It still says that if you apply today.

However, if you read the whole of the form by clicking on the question mark or click in the box where is says, "Enlarge image to see more information" it tells you to include what is written in the "Given Names" part of your passport (which is also in the chevron part of passport). It also makes it clear that, if the Given Names part of your passport includes your middle name, then you should include your middle name.

Here's what it says if you click on the question mark:

As for your last question, I'm going to repeat what I posted on another thread(but with a slight addendum):

It should be ok, I think. Personally, if it was me, I would just keep with the current ESTA if I was in your daughter's situation.

But please note that some random people on the internet saying "it should be ok" is no guarantee whatsoever. I don't think anyone in this thread is qualified to give you an official definitive answer. My "advice" above does conflict with the official response from CBP.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Thanks as she is travelling with her school il renew one. Thanks
myaquarium is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
If that diagram has been on the ESTA site for over 6 months, I'm baffled how recent applicants are failing to see such obvious 'how to complete' instructions. I now appreciate why CBP are advising one needs to ESTA re-apply and complete all names as per ones pp.
In the other thread, I pointed out a thread from back at the beginning of January showing all this information. There were other threads around that time too. See here:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1111407

So the information has certainly been on the form since the beginning of this year (and, I suspect, before that).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Ok I decided to renew the 3 of them. Couldn’t risk the hassle for daughters school trip even tho I’m sure it would be ok. It’s easier to keep us all on the same renew date. £33 for Donald to take home anyway.
myaquarium is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

And thanks to the dib again. Great community great advice
Old 4 Jun 19, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by myaquarium View Post
Ok I decided to renew the 3 of them. Couldn’t risk the hassle for daughters school trip even tho I’m sure it would be ok. It’s easier to keep us all on the same renew date. £33 for Donald to take home anyway.
Hi myaquarium, many on here purely want to ensure those applying for ESTA are aware of the new update. Whilst your 3 could've been fine, had it not been for Nimbus I wouldn't have been aware the diagram explaining US requirements was placed on the site 8 months or more ago. Hope the girls have a smashing trip

You do realise £33 wouldn't enable Donald (I'm assuming you mean Trump and not Duck ) to even get a small round in
Old 4 Jun 19, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
That box was added over 6 months ago. The form hasn't changed at all a week or so ago.

There are older threads from back in January - for example, this one - showing that it said about including your middle name on the ESTA form. If you look in post #19 in that example thread, there's an image by welshmum showing the box on the right hand side. That was from 5th Jan.

It isn't a new change.

ETA: I've just looked at some images I've saved on my laptop and I have an image from the ESTA website showing that SAMPLE PASSPORT box on the right hand side from 2015 (which was probably when I last did my ESTA). It looked slightly different to the new box, but here's what the ESTA from 2015 looked like:

So that box - or one similar to it - is at least 4 years old.

Hey I happily stand corrected. You have much more patience than me to go hunting back in time . Well posted.

Edited at 10:08 PM.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 19, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
snail999
Trying for More Ears

snail999's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Not applicable to visitors

"However, people travelling to the US to work or to study will have to hand over their information. "

This is only for people who wish to work or stay in the USA. Visitors for 90 days or less are exempt.
snail999 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 19, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
snail999
Trying for More Ears

snail999's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
"However, people travelling to the US to work or to study will have to hand over their information".

People going on holiday for 90 days or less are exempt
snail999 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List