Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Jun 19, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
gemma-lou
Imagineer

gemma-lou's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Mobile Talk virgin miles to me..I have no idea

So I have booked a holiday with virgin holidays in store recently and just added on my virgin air miles club card account over the phone.

I have 5576 miles.
Would like to upgrade out bound to premium when it is released...
(Not going until August 2020)
Can I buy more air miles? How many will I roughly need. It’s me and hubby going.
Only flown with TC and TUI so a virgin virgin 🤪🤣
2008 - enclave suite - 2010 All Star Sport - 2017 Avanti Resort - 2018 Royal pacific and miami - 2022 Polynesian and Royal Pacific - - February 2024 family trip to Universal Dockside - November 2024 Universal Aventura & CSR DisneyWorld
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/signaturepics/sigpic28388_47.gif
gemma-lou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gemma-lou View Post
So I have booked a holiday with virgin holidays in store recently and just added on my virgin air miles club card account over the phone.

I have 5576 miles.
Would like to upgrade out bound to premium when it is released...
(Not going until August 2020)
Can I buy more air miles? How many will I roughly need. It’s me and hubby going.
Only flown with TC and TUI so a virgin virgin 🤪🤣
Hi Gem, once you read up on it, it'll become really clear... as mud Nah, just kidding. It's quite easy to fathom, you can see what you'll need for miles plus money by doing a mock search. Full on rewards are obviously a canny bit more. If the time ever comes and you want to see VA reward seat availability/miles requiredd take a look at Reward Flight Finder.
You can buy more miles but best to hold off until there's a bonus on (usually 20%). If you flew with VA within the last 6 months there's also miles boost where you can buy 2X your miles.
Old 15 Jun 19, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
gemma-lou
Imagineer

gemma-lou's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Mobile

Cheers for that Chris! 😊
2008 - enclave suite - 2010 All Star Sport - 2017 Avanti Resort - 2018 Royal pacific and miami - 2022 Polynesian and Royal Pacific - - February 2024 family trip to Universal Dockside - November 2024 Universal Aventura & CSR DisneyWorld
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/signaturepics/sigpic28388_47.gif
gemma-lou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Mobile

If you’ve got a ticket that’s upgradable with miles it will probably not be worth it seeing as you will have to buy almost 20k to get enough for the upgrade one way for 2 people. The extra taxes on the outbound flight will be about £150-180 each as well.
Plus there has to be reward availability for your date too. It’s a lot harder to predict when they get released, it’s not always when the flights get released 11 months out anymore.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Softy View Post
If you’ve got a ticket that’s upgradable with miles it will probably not be worth it seeing as you will have to buy almost 20k to get enough for the upgrade one way for 2 people. The extra taxes on the outbound flight will be about £150-180 each as well.
Plus there has to be reward availability for your date too. It’s a lot harder to predict when they get released, it’s not always when the flights get released 11 months out anymore.
Hi Softy - check the Reward Flight Finder link I gave Gem, as you say, whilst difficult to predict reward seat release I was surprised how many reward seats are available compared to previous years, but tax & fees have risen a canny bit.

We travel off peak, currently pricing up. 45k of miles plus circa £450 tax & fees for PE, current fare for our dates is £733. 95k for UC seat plus circa £646 for 'saving' a couple of thousand. We had Reward seats for our 2016 winter trip, 100k each plus £424 T&Fs.
Old 16 Jun 19, 12:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Mobile

Hey. Yeah I’ve been using that site for a while now. I mentioned the unpredictability as most people assume they release reward seats when the flights come out, like they used to, but obviously now they seem to be fairly random, often in batches.
Off peak I’ll only redeem premium or upper from now on. The economy cash prices are consistently cheap these days.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

What is the tax to change from economy to pe please?
Old 16 Jun 19, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Yorkshirelass
Getting to know the DIBB

Hi,
I’ve just bought miles to top up to PE reward seats for September. I had the basic info from the site, but still not sure how to proceed. I rang VA and got a really helpful person who went through the process and checked availability for me. When I booked it was cheaper still as points had just been added. I first bought miles to top up and then booked and paid for reward seats.
2 weeks later there was a discount on miles but who knows if reward seats would still have been available then.
Yorkshirelass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
What is the tax to change from economy to pe please?
An extra £194 for the return. £150 for the outbound. £50 for the inbound.
Old 16 Jun 19, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Yorkshirelass View Post
Hi,
I’ve just bought miles to top up to PE reward seats for September. I had the basic info from the site, but still not sure how to proceed. I rang VA and got a really helpful person who went through the process and checked availability for me. When I booked it was cheaper still as points had just been added. I first bought miles to top up and then booked and paid for reward seats.
2 weeks later there was a discount on miles but who knows if reward seats would still have been available then.
Hiya YL, surprised to see both PE and UC available for our Nov out and May return, Nov has PE reward seats available bar 5 days with 8 available dates in May. UC, 8 days in Nov and 3 in May. In 2016 we were very lucky to grab the only two seats in UC for both our dates.