Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 2 Sep 18, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by dibdobber View Post
Had 2 hols in Croatia - one in Rovinj, one in Porec. Would happily go back to either. As other posters have said, trip in Venice easy enough to do - long day but v memorable. Food (with weird exception of bread) is on the whole really good, wine v good and ice cream almost as good as in italy. Lots of interesting history, good boat trips - we saw adriatic dolphins on one trip which was fab.
We were in Venice earlier this year and loved it. Pleased to hear the ice cream is almost as good as Italian, we love ice cream 😀. We love good food, wine, history and a good boat trip so it sounds perfect for us.

We have been fortunate in seeing dolphins twice this year on holidays, once on a boat trip in Tenerife and amazingly also in the Menai Straits in North Wales where around 50 dolphins swam in the Straits. Hopefully we may be lucky again in Croatia.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 18, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
folkie
Loves sailing in the sun!

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 170
Mobile

We saw dolphins three times in one day last week while sailing near Zlarin 😄
91 Brittany 92 Scotland 93 France 94 France 95 Dartmouth 96 Moved house 97 Terra Mare (Greece) 98 Swanage 99 Yedi Tepe (Turkey) 00 Canada/Tunisia 01 Ottawa, Antigua/Bitez 02 DLP/Cornwall 03 Antigua/Gower 04 Ottawa/Croatia/Vendee 05 BVI/Hurghada 06 Javelin (Turkey) 07 Perili (Turkey) 08 Orlando 09 Rosas 10 Orlando 11 Les Deux Alpes 12 Morocco 13 Brittany 14 Vassiliki 15 Orlando 16 DLP/New England/Ottawa 17 Ionian
folkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 18, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby29
Imagineer

We did a week in Croatia, in between our Florida holiday, I loved it. We stayed in a lovely place called cavtat. Every day there was a lot of boats going to Dubrovnik so we did that a few times, plus the bus terminal is at the end of the street. Really handy. I loved just sitting at the harbour watching all the boats docking whilst sitting in the restaurant just a few feet away sipping a few drinks. Beautiful place. ☺️

Edited at 09:02 PM. Reason: Photo
Libby29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 18, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Libby29 View Post
We did a week in Croatia, in between our Florida holiday, I loved it. We stayed in a lovely place called cavtat. Every day there was a lot of boats going to Dubrovnik so we did that a few times, plus the bus terminal is at the end of the street. Really handy. I loved just sitting at the harbour watching all the boats docking whilst sitting in the restaurant just a few feet away sipping a few drinks. Beautiful place. ☺️
Thank you, I have just looked up Cavtat and it does look lovely. Certainly another option as it may be cheaper to stay at Cavtat than Dubrovnik and be less crowded. Were the buses easy to use and regular? Did the ferries run from Cavtat to any islands?
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 18, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
AliPD
Imagineer

Is the diet based mainly around Fish in Croatia.
The Gateway Inn 1994 - Howard Johnson 1996 - The Holiday Inn Express 1999 - The Sheraton World Resort 2001 - Howard Johnson Plaza 2004 - The Best Western Plaza 2006 - Econolodge Inn and Suites 2008 - High Grove Villa 2011 - Sandy Ridge Villa 2012 - Silver Creek Villa 2015 - Art Of Animation 2017.
AliPD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 18, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
folkie

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by AliPD View Post
Is the diet based mainly around Fish in Croatia.
There is a lot of seafood available and it’s wonderful, but there are also many meat options. Tonight we’re eating lamb peka. Peka is lamb, veal or octopus, cooked very slowly with potatoes and carrots. You have to pre-order it as it takes several hours to cook but it’s delicious!

Vegetarians aren’t so well catered for but our daughter was quite happy with huge Greek salads, pizza, pasta etc. There is a lot of Italian food available here.

This was our seafood platter for two a few nights ago, sea bream, tuna, octopus and prawns.
folkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 18, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
folkie

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

This is my view right now in Luka Tiha on Hvar, as I sit on the bows of our yacht for the fortnight, drinking gin. Through the trees you can just about make out our restaurant for tonight.

There’s nothing here except one restaurant and a few boats. This is heaven.

91 Brittany 92 Scotland 93 France 94 France 95 Dartmouth 96 Moved house 97 Terra Mare (Greece) 98 Swanage 99 Yedi Tepe (Turkey) 00 Canada/Tunisia 01 Ottawa, Antigua/Bitez 02 DLP/Cornwall 03 Antigua/Gower 04 Ottawa/Croatia/Vendee 05 BVI/Hurghada 06 Javelin (Turkey) 07 Perili (Turkey) 08 Orlando 09 Rosas 10 Orlando 11 Les Deux Alpes 12 Morocco 13 Brittany 14 Vassiliki 15 Orlando 16 DLP/New England/Ottawa 17 Ionian
Old 4 Sep 18, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by folkie View Post
This is my view right now in Luka Tiha on Hvar, as I sit on the bows of our yacht for the fortnight, drinking gin. Through the trees you can just about make out our restaurant for tonight.

There’s nothing here except one restaurant and a few boats. This is heaven.

You should get commission from Croatia's tourist department 😁. You have sold it to me and the family. Not sure exactly which resort we are going to stay in, but definitely decided on Croatia for the last week of June next year.
Old 5 Sep 18, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Daisychick
Excited about Disney

I too work for the Croatian Tourist Board!

In the last 10 years we have had holidays in Rovinj (north), Makarska (30 miles from Split) and Cavtat.

I would recommend all - if I had to choose one I would choose Cavtat. We stayed in some lovely apartments that were up a hill so it was a steep walk back but it helped after eating at all the lovely restaurants.

We stayed for 10 nights and we alternated between a day locally (not using the car) and day trips. We are used to travelling around for our jobs so we are prepared to drive for a couple of hours to see different places.

The days locally we walked round the headlands in Cavtat / sat at the beach bars admiring the view and lounged round the pool at the apartments.

The day trips we went to Kotor in Montenegro, Mostar in Bosnia and went up to Korcula island, getting the foot ferry from the mainland over to the island. We also took the ferry to Dubrovnik, stopping at the island of Lokrum on the way. We also got the ferry to Dubrovnik one evening for a meal out - although we had a good time, it was better value and better meals in Cavtat. We also went to the Cilipi village folklore show which is on a Sunday morning - traditional Croatian music and dancing (the locals do the dancing, you don't have to!).

It was fab! I will try and answer any questions you have as it is one of my favourite subjects!
Daisychick is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 18, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Daisychick
Excited about Disney

Having said all the above, I also really liked Makarska.

We went to Makarska after being to Cavtat the previous year and DH spent the first part of the holiday sulking because it wasn't Cavtat! Once he had got used to that he admitted that it was lovely. I think it was because there was one part of Makarska where there was a souvenir market and he said it reminded him of Blackpool. In truth it was nothing like Blackpool but I think he felt he was cheating on Cavtat!

The ice cream is slightly better in Makarska than in Cavtat in my opinion!

From Makarska we did day trips on the ferry to Brac and Hvar. You can go to Brac from the centre of Makarska itself on the car ferry. The car ferry to Hvar is from about 30 minutes south of Makarska - Dvrenik I think but you then have a drive to get to Hvar town. We stopped at Stari Grad on the way which is also lovely. If we did it again I think we would do an overnight in Hvar Town as we could have spent longer there, but we had to get back to get the ferry.

We also did day trips to Krka National Park, Split and Zadar and Sibenik (latter 2 in the same day).

Nice.
Daisychick is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List