Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 5 Sep 18, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Daisychick View Post
I too work for the Croatian Tourist Board!

In the last 10 years we have had holidays in Rovinj (north), Makarska (30 miles from Split) and Cavtat.

I would recommend all - if I had to choose one I would choose Cavtat. We stayed in some lovely apartments that were up a hill so it was a steep walk back but it helped after eating at all the lovely restaurants.

We stayed for 10 nights and we alternated between a day locally (not using the car) and day trips. We are used to travelling around for our jobs so we are prepared to drive for a couple of hours to see different places.

The days locally we walked round the headlands in Cavtat / sat at the beach bars admiring the view and lounged round the pool at the apartments.

The day trips we went to Kotor in Montenegro, Mostar in Bosnia and went up to Korcula island, getting the foot ferry from the mainland over to the island. We also took the ferry to Dubrovnik, stopping at the island of Lokrum on the way. We also got the ferry to Dubrovnik one evening for a meal out - although we had a good time, it was better value and better meals in Cavtat. We also went to the Cilipi village folklore show which is on a Sunday morning - traditional Croatian music and dancing (the locals do the dancing, you don't have to!).

It was fab! I will try and answer any questions you have as it is one of my favourite subjects!
Thank you Daisychick, seems a popular job working for the Croatian tourist board 😀

We really like the look of Dubrovnik but have noticed accommodation and restaurants are more expensive in the city (naturally). Is it easy to get to Dubrovnik from Cavtat, by bus or ferry? How long does the journey take? Would be able to go into the city for an evening and get public transport back to Cavtat?

Is all of Cavtat on a hill or is it possible to get accommodation on flatter ground? Is the sea clear in Cavtat and is it possible to swim and see fish there?

You may regret offering to answer all my questions 😁. My DH, 17 yo DD and myself all love the look of Croatia and have decided this is definitely where we want to go next June (so at least we have decided on a country at last 😊 ) but it does all look so nice we are undecided on what area to go to.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 18, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Daisychick View Post
Having said all the above, I also really liked Makarska.

We went to Makarska after being to Cavtat the previous year and DH spent the first part of the holiday sulking because it wasn't Cavtat! Once he had got used to that he admitted that it was lovely. I think it was because there was one part of Makarska where there was a souvenir market and he said it reminded him of Blackpool. In truth it was nothing like Blackpool but I think he felt he was cheating on Cavtat!

The ice cream is slightly better in Makarska than in Cavtat in my opinion!

From Makarska we did day trips on the ferry to Brac and Hvar. You can go to Brac from the centre of Makarska itself on the car ferry. The car ferry to Hvar is from about 30 minutes south of Makarska - Dvrenik I think but you then have a drive to get to Hvar town. We stopped at Stari Grad on the way which is also lovely. If we did it again I think we would do an overnight in Hvar Town as we could have spent longer there, but we had to get back to get the ferry.

We also did day trips to Krka National Park, Split and Zadar and Sibenik (latter 2 in the same day).

Nice.
Ooh now I am getting swayed by ice cream, I do love a good ice cream 😁

We are really interested in visiting Krka national park. Did you visit there from Cavtat? Is it possible to get there from Cavtat area, either by public transport or organised trip? My daughter is, as I mentioned earlier, a keen Biology student interested in conservation and ecology and also a keen photography so Krka is a must do.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 18, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
thebig40
slightly serious Dibber

We went this summer for 2 weeks, we stayed in Cavtat, just outside of Dubrovnik. We booked flights with Norweigan Air from Gatwick, we found an apartment through HomeAway. The hardest part was finding an apartment with a pool as this is not the norm in Croatia. As a result of wanting a pool for the kids, the apartment was about a mile outside of the resort centre but it was good to work off the pizza's and ice cream!

We really enjoyed it, we went to the beach in Cavtat - no sand though, but this meant the water was very clear, we went on a boat trip to the Elephati Islands, went on the cable car in Dubrovnik and we also visited Mostar in Bosnia and the lovely Kravice Waterfalls and Kotor in Montenegro, the bay there is amazing.

The food was great, weather lovely without being too hot and it was nice to be somewhere completely new.

I'd highly recommend it.
thebig40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 18, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by thebig40 View Post
We went this summer for 2 weeks, we stayed in Cavtat, just outside of Dubrovnik. We booked flights with Norweigan Air from Gatwick, we found an apartment through HomeAway. The hardest part was finding an apartment with a pool as this is not the norm in Croatia. As a result of wanting a pool for the kids, the apartment was about a mile outside of the resort centre but it was good to work off the pizza's and ice cream!

We really enjoyed it, we went to the beach in Cavtat - no sand though, but this meant the water was very clear, we went on a boat trip to the Elephati Islands, went on the cable car in Dubrovnik and we also visited Mostar in Bosnia and the lovely Kravice Waterfalls and Kotor in Montenegro, the bay there is amazing.

The food was great, weather lovely without being too hot and it was nice to be somewhere completely new.

I'd highly recommend it.
We were actually looking at Cavtat today and think it looks a good base. We were looking at Airbnb which had quite a few good options. I hadn't thought of Homeaway, so I will check that out too.

Did you have a car or use public transport? We don't want to hire a car and it does look as if buses and ferries or boats are good for getting around. We would be going mid/late June so hoping the weather is good at that time of year.
Old 7 Sep 18, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Daisychick
Excited about Disney

We visited Krka National Park from Makarska. I think it would be a long way from Cavtat - maybe about 4.5 hours each way?

We had a car but we took the ferry from Cavtat to Dubrovnik and although we didn't use them, I know there were buses. The ferry took about 45-60 minutes each way depending on how many places it stopped at on the way. We did the ferry twice but I think a bus would be cheaper if you did it a lot.

In Cavtat once you get beyond the harbour front and the immediate couple of roads behind, there is a hill. So accommodation on flatter land would be possibly hard to find. We stayed at some apartments (am I allowed to recommend on here?) that were about 10 minutes walk from the harbour front - it was steep but we thought it was worth the effort. The apartments had a pool and a hot tub and there was a supermarket nearby. It was also very near a bus stop if you don't want to climb the hill on the way back!

If you don't have a car, there was a tourist information shop in the centre of Cavtat near the bus station and they had all kinds of coach trips advertised. I think most of what we did there we could also have done on a coach trip. (Mostar, Korcula, Montenegro).

The sea is very clear and there are urchins so you need sea shoes to go in the sea.

I would recommend both Cavtat and the Makarskan Riviera - wherever you don't go this time you could go next time!
Daisychick is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 18, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks Daisychick, I hadn't looked at Makarska before but that looks a good option too. I am honestly thinking Croatia is going to take more than one visit to explore 😀.

We have been looking at Airbnb for accommodation and finding some very nice possibilities there. We usually stay at hotels, but are happy with Airbnb, villa or apartments. Our main priority, without a car, is location as we want to be close to a resort centre with good transport to other areas.
Old 7 Sep 18, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
thebig40
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
We were actually looking at Cavtat today and think it looks a good base. We were looking at Airbnb which had quite a few good options. I hadn't thought of Homeaway, so I will check that out too.

Did you have a car or use public transport? We don't want to hire a car and it does look as if buses and ferries or boats are good for getting around. We would be going mid/late June so hoping the weather is good at that time of year.
We didn’t hire a car so just booked tours through a company that was recommended to us, Big Michael, there are loads of boat tours, ferries and buses and all were quite straight forward to use.
thebig40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 18, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by thebig40 View Post
We didn’t hire a car so just booked tours through a company that was recommended to us, Big Michael, there are loads of boat tours, ferries and buses and all were quite straight forward to use.
Thank you, would I find Big Michael online (can't imagine what I will find if I google that 😁😁 ) or is he based in Cavtat itself, on the seafront maybe? It's great that you managed to visit so many other places without a car, did you book the Kravice Falls trip with the same company? We were thinking of Krka National Park but if we stay in Cavtat it doesn't look easy to visit Krka from there, but Kravice seems a suitable alternative so we would go there instead.

Thanks again for all the info, it's a great help 😀
Old 7 Sep 18, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you, would I find Big Michael online (can't imagine what I will find if I google that 😁😁 ) or is he based in Cavtat itself, on the seafront maybe? It's great that you managed to visit so many other places without a car, did you book the Kravice Falls trip with the same company? We were thinking of Krka National Park but if we stay in Cavtat it doesn't look easy to visit Krka from there, but Kravice seems a suitable alternative so we would go there instead.

I don’t think he is online - we are another who went to cavtat and loved it and I did look for big Michael online but never found it . We stayed in villa Fontana (its apartments) and on our walk down to the main town we saw a couple of tour operators . It is very easy to get the board into Dubrovnik . We spoke to people who were staying in Dubrovnik and visited cavtat who said they wished they had stayed in cavtat instead . They found Dubrovnik too busy .
Old 7 Sep 18, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
thebig40
slightly serious Dibber

Don’t google! Who knows what you’d find!

He was on the seafront just by the hotel Cavtat, he and his wife have a tiny shop/kiosk. They organised all of our trips and all were very well organised, good clean, comfortable coaches and guides with good English. Kravice was very beautiful, worth the visit.

If you go make sure you have a seafood platter, amazing with huge prawns and langoustines, lobster and mussels, we loved the ice cream rolls too and enjoyed eating them whilst admiring the outrageous yachts moored in Cavtat harbour. You get awesome sunsets in Cavtat too.